* [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 19:11 Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2015-03-29 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi List,

I often find myself wanting to move up by several headings:

C-c C-p, C-c C-p, C-c C-p...
(I don't usually know ahead of time how many I want to move, so I
can't use a numeric prefix arg)

I like how `set-mark-command' works with non-nil `set-mark-repeat-pop'
to avoid the need to repeat a prefix key and wanted to try something
similar for C-p. I came up with the following:

(define-key org-mode-map
 (kbd "C-p")
 (lambda (arg)
   (interactive "p")
   (if (not (eq last-command 'org-previous-visible-heading))
       (previous-line arg)
     (org-previous-visible-heading arg)
     (setq this-command 'org-previous-visible-heading))))

So now I can do:
C-c C-p, C-p, C-p...
And repeatedly move by headlines.

This (with a similar definition for C-n) is working well for me. If I
fleshed this out into a patch with a defcustom to control the
behavior, might it be applied? Or is this too far in the weeds of
individual user preference to warrant modifying org.el?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
Jake

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 20:05 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-03-29 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Gerlach; +Cc: Org-mode

Jacob Gerlach <jacobgerlach@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I often find myself wanting to move up by several headings:
>
> C-c C-p, C-c C-p, C-c C-p...
> (I don't usually know ahead of time how many I want to move, so I
> can't use a numeric prefix arg)
>
> I like how `set-mark-command' works with non-nil `set-mark-repeat-pop'
> to avoid the need to repeat a prefix key and wanted to try something
> similar for C-p. I came up with the following:
>
> (define-key org-mode-map
>  (kbd "C-p")
>  (lambda (arg)
>    (interactive "p")
>    (if (not (eq last-command 'org-previous-visible-heading))
>        (previous-line arg)
>      (org-previous-visible-heading arg)
>      (setq this-command 'org-previous-visible-heading))))
>
> So now I can do:
> C-c C-p, C-p, C-p...
> And repeatedly move by headlines.

With org-use-speed-commands set to t, this could be "C-c C-p p p".

--
Kyle

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 20:09   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-03-29 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Org-mode, Jacob Gerlach

This kind of repeated command seems to be a good application for hydra.

--
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 20:35     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-03-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Jacob Gerlach, Org-mode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> This kind of repeated command seems to be a good application for
> hydra.

True.  Basic navigation could be set up with something like this:

#+begin_src elisp
  (defhydra hydra-org-navigation ()
    "Org navigation"
    ("p" org-previous-visible-heading "previous heading")
    ("n" org-next-visible-heading "next heading")
    ("f" org-forward-heading-same-level "forward heading")
    ("b" org-backward-heading-same-level "backward heading")
    ("u" outline-up-heading "up heading")
    ("q" nil "cancel"))
#+end_src

--
Kyle

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 21:43     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-03-29 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Jacob Gerlach, Kyle Meyer, Org-mode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This kind of repeated command seems to be a good application for hydra.

Excuse me if this is a FAQ but: what's hydra ?

-- Xavier.

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 22:10       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-03-29 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: Org-mode, Kyle Meyer, Jacob Gerlach, John Kitchin

https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra/

--
Suvayu

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-29 22:15       ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-03-29 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: Jacob Gerlach, Org-mode, John Kitchin

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> wrote:
> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> This kind of repeated command seems to be a good application for hydra.
>
> Excuse me if this is a FAQ but: what's hydra ?

Hydra [1] is a really nice package for creating keymaps that are similar
to keymaps under a prefix key.  Hydra has lots of little features, but
two main advantages of using a hydra over a standard prefix key are that
commands are repeatable with a single key and that a menu displays the
key/command information.  Have a look at hydra-examples.el [2] for some
use cases.

[1] https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra
[2] https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra/blob/master/hydra-examples.el

--
Kyle

* Re: [RFC] Repeat Heading movement commands
@ 2015-03-30  0:33         ` Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2015-03-30  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:
> With org-use-speed-commands set to t, this could be "C-c C-p p p".

Well, this is much better. Should have thought to check the info, of
course there's already something like this built in...

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> This kind of repeated command seems to be a good application for hydra.

I suppose I'll stick with speed commands for org-mode, but hydra looks
interesting.

Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
Jake