* Tracking time estimates for incomplete tasks
@ 2014-07-30 21:56 Daniel Rigby
From: Daniel Rigby @ 2014-07-30 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've been using org-mode to track the time spent on various tasks in a
project, by clocking work time. I'm now planning additional tasks, and
for these new tasks I am starting to add time estimates. The columnview
dynamic block gives a nice summary of the time I've spent on tasks, and
the time estimates.

I'm interested in tracking the time estimates for only the incomplete
tasks. I've created an additional column for this in the columnview
table. Is there a way to add up the estimated times of only the
incomplete tasks? Maybe a table formula could populate the additional
column using this pseudo-code:

"if Status == TODO/NEXT then print estimated time else print 0"

and then the sum could be calculated.

Note that the time estimates can be specified in hours or days (1 day =
7 hours). The table already converts the clocked times and the time
estimates into days using this rule, but the formula would have to
handle it as well.

A metric I would be interested in for tracking progress is
(sum of time estimates for all incomplete tasks) / ((sum of time
estimates for all incomplete tasks) + (clocked time of all completed
tasks)), so maybe the table could calculate this as well.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Dan

* Tracking time estimates for incomplete tasks
@ 2014-07-31  6:23 Daniel Rigby
From: Daniel Rigby @ 2014-07-31  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

(Apologies if you're received this message already - I can't seem to
get the mailing list to accept my emails)

[...]

* Re: Tracking time estimates for incomplete tasks
@ 2014-07-31 10:51 ` Daniel Rigby
From: Daniel Rigby @ 2014-07-31 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

By the way, apologies for the multiple messages. I didn't receive any
feedback after sending them so I thought my emails were being silently ignored.