* Installing Org 8
@ 2014-07-29 10:42 SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-29 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I successfully upgraded Org mode to version 8 by following these[1]
instructions. I am now trying to repeat this on a Mac OS X system. After
"M-x list-packages", Emacs connects to elpa.gnu.org and then to orgmode.org,
but reports that it is unable to connect to orgmode.org, and presents a list
of the packages from GNU only (no upgrade is available for org). Navigating
to the Org mode repository directly works, so the site is online. I am using
a modified version of Emacs[2] with various packages pre-installed[3], which
has Org mode version 7.9.3f.

[1] http://orgmode.org/elpa.html
[2] http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac/
[3] This was the only way I could get ESS installed in Emacs under OS X.

* Re: Installing Org 8
@ 2014-07-29 14:10 ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-29 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This was a network/proxy issue. Emacs was also unable to contact GNU, but
displayed a default/cached (?) list of packages.

* Re: Installing Org 8
@ 2014-07-30 13:55   ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-30 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've wasted an entire day trying to upgrade to Org 8 under OS X :(

I'm using a modified version of Emacs, with ESS pre-installed. I've also
downloaded the latest 24.3.1 Emacs for OS X and tried with that.

In both cases, I am able to install Org 8 (20140730 now) via ELPA. It
installs to a local directory. However, when I restart Emacs and enter
'org-version', I am shown:

"Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
/Users/macbookair/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140730/)"

It looks like the pre-installed version is taking precedence, but it is
showing the folder of the new version.

I tried deleting the pre-installed version of Org from the /Applications/...
folder, but then Emacs generates an error on start-up about not being able
to locate the org-latex file.

I did manage to install both the latest Org and ESS into the latest Emacs
24.3.1, but then Emacs was not able to open Bazaar VC files -- it could not
find the 'bzr' file (Bazaar is, of course, installed; the ESS-modified Emacs
can open Bazaar VC files).

As it stands now, I'm back to using the ESS-modified version of Emacs (as it
has ESS and bzr working) and have Org 8 installed via ELPA, but not working.

*Sigh*

* Re: Installing Org 8
@ 2014-07-30 14:05     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Try putting (package-initialize) as the first line of your .emacs,
that should do the trick.

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: Installing Org 8
@ 2014-07-30 17:40       ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-30 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <jorge.a.alfaro <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Try putting (package-initialize) as the first line of your .emacs,
> that should do the trick.

This solved it. Thanks :)