* Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 13:53 SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-06-09 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I searched here and elsewhere, and then played with various diary sexp
settings, but I could not find a way to repeat an entry on work/week days
(Monday to Friday) every week. I would like a task to appear on all Mondays
to Fridays. The repeat should preferably be from Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday
to Wednesday, etc., rather than from Monday to Monday, Tuesday to Tuesday,
etc., but this is not so important.

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 15:01 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi SabreWolfy,

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> I searched here and elsewhere, and then played with various diary sexp
> settings, but I could not find a way to repeat an entry on work/week days
> (Monday to Friday) every week. I would like a task to appear on all Mondays
> to Fridays.

You could add five entries like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
* Test
  SCHEDULED: <2014-06-09 Mon +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2014-06-10 Tue +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2014-06-11 Wed +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2014-06-12 Thu +1w>
  SCHEDULED: <2014-06-13 Fri +1w>
#+END_SRC

Then "Test" will appear in your agenda every Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu and Fri.

> The repeat should preferably be from Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to
> Wednesday, etc., rather than from Monday to Monday, Tuesday to
> Tuesday, etc., but this is not so important.

This I do not understand, can you explain further?

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 16:12 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> I searched here and elsewhere, and then played with various diary sexp
> settings, but I could not find a way to repeat an entry on work/week days
> (Monday to Friday) every week. I would like a task to appear on all Mondays
> to Fridays. The repeat should preferably be from Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday
> to Wednesday, etc., rather than from Monday to Monday, Tuesday to Tuesday,
> etc., but this is not so important.

IIRC, you can't have repeaters on diary sexps. You can add five
identical entries (except for starting date) with a +1w repeater - see
e.g.

        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/7294/focus=7296

I think there is an easy way to do that but I can't put my finger on it
right now - maybe someone will remember it and chime in.

Nick

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 16:17   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> * Test
>   SCHEDULED: <2014-06-09 Mon +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2014-06-10 Tue +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2014-06-11 Wed +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2014-06-12 Thu +1w>
>   SCHEDULED: <2014-06-13 Fri +1w>
> #+END_SRC

This is not valid syntax. A given headline cannot have more than one
SCHEDULED entry attached to it. Even if it works (I didn't test),
I wouldn't count on it: this is a bug.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 16:22   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-06-09 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I searched here and elsewhere, and then played with various diary sexp
>> settings, but I could not find a way to repeat an entry on work/week days
>> (Monday to Friday) every week. I would like a task to appear on all Mondays
>> to Fridays. The repeat should preferably be from Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday
>> to Wednesday, etc., rather than from Monday to Monday, Tuesday to Tuesday,
>> etc., but this is not so important.
>
> IIRC, you can't have repeaters on diary sexps. You can add five
> identical entries (except for starting date) with a +1w repeater - see
> e.g.
>
>         http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/7294/focus=7296
>
> I think there is an easy way to do that but I can't put my finger on it
> right now - maybe someone will remember it and chime in.

I should have checked the manual :-(

(info "(org) Repeated tasks")

Last paragraph points to

`C-c C-x c'     (`org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift')
     Clone a subtree by making a number of sibling copies of it.  You
     will be prompted for the number of copies to make, and you can
     also specify if any timestamps in the entry should be shifted.
     This can be useful, for example, to create a number of tasks
     related to a series of lectures to prepare.  For more details, see
     the docstring of the command `org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift'.

Nick

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 16:40     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> This is not valid syntax. A given headline cannot have more than one
> SCHEDULED entry attached to it. Even if it works (I didn't test),
> I wouldn't count on it: this is a bug.

I guess if you do not plan to do start working on the task you should
not put the SCHEDULED and just a simple timestamp. But if you plan to
work on a task every day of the week, why shouldn't you be able to do it
this way? It does work, btw. Is it because it can conflict with changing
TODO states?

Also related, if you want it to repeat in your agenda only for a certain
period, look at org-class. For example, while I was a student I had used
things like

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
%%(org-class 2013 1 7 2013 4 27 2) 12:00pm-01:15pm The name of the class
%%(org-class 2013 1 7 2013 4 27 4) 12:00pm-01:15pm The name of the class
#+END_SRC

for classes that were Tuesday and Thursday. It was also under a single
headline. Is this, or several simple timestamps under a single headline
also bad syntax?

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 16:56       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-09 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> I guess if you do not plan to do start working on the task you should
> not put the SCHEDULED and just a simple timestamp. But if you plan to
> work on a task every day of the week, why shouldn't you be able to do it
> this way?

Because Org doesn't allow it. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to use
SCHEDULED here: "scheduled" has a special meaning in Org. You don't
_start_ working on a task every day. You could use plain timestamps.

> It does work, btw.

Then, beware, it is a bug and it might be fixed one day.

> Is it because it can conflict with changing TODO states?

It is probably because you don't need it. Syntax wise, SCHEDULED,
DEADLINE and CLOSED can only appear once, on the line right after the
related headline.

> Also related, if you want it to repeat in your agenda only for a certain
> period, look at org-class. For example, while I was a student I had used
> things like
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> %%(org-class 2013 1 7 2013 4 27 2) 12:00pm-01:15pm The name of the class
> %%(org-class 2013 1 7 2013 4 27 4) 12:00pm-01:15pm The name of the class
> #+END_SRC
>
> for classes that were Tuesday and Thursday. It was also under a single
> headline. Is this, or several simple timestamps under a single headline
> also bad syntax?

There is no limitation to the number of plain timestamps under a headline.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-09 17:07         ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> It is probably because you don't need it. Syntax wise, SCHEDULED,
> DEADLINE and CLOSED can only appear once, on the line right after the
> related headline.

> There is no limitation to the number of plain timestamps under a headline.

Thanks for the clarification.

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: Repeat work / week days
@ 2014-06-11  9:17     ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-06-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> `C-c C-x c'     (`org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift')

Thanks. This looks like the best solution.