* org-plus-contrib should provide org
@ 2014-05-31 18:11 Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2014-05-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The org-plus-contrib package on http://orgmode.org/elpa/ should provide org-
8.0, since it does include org.
Otherwise a bunch of addon packages (eg ox-reveal) install the org package
anyway.

Cheers!

* Re: org-plus-contrib should provide org
@ 2014-06-13 10:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Alexiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Alexiev <vladimir.alexiev@ontotext.com> writes:

> The org-plus-contrib package on http://orgmode.org/elpa/ should provide org-
> 8.0

Why do you think it does not?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-plus-contrib should provide org
@ 2014-06-17 13:25   ` Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2014-06-17 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bastien'; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> > The org-plus-contrib package on http://orgmode.org/elpa/ should provide org-8.0
> Why do you think it does not?

For example, ox-reveal says "Requires: org-8.0". When I select to install it, the package manager also installs org, although org-plus-contrib is installed.
I looked for "provides" info in the packages and I couldn't find any... maybe simply the package name indicates what is provided?

* Re: org-plus-contrib should provide org
@ 2014-06-17 17:40     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-17 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Alexiev writes:
>> > The org-plus-contrib package on http://orgmode.org/elpa/ should provide org-8.0
>> Why do you think it does not?
>
> For example, ox-reveal says "Requires: org-8.0". When I select to
> install it, the package manager also installs org, although
> org-plus-contrib is installed.  I looked for "provides" info in the
> packages and I couldn't find any... maybe simply the package name
> indicates what is provided?

Package manager simply doesn't allow for packages to "provide" another
package, there's nothing we can do about this.  The easiest (if a bit
clumsy) way to deal with this is to install Org via package manager,
then customize package-load-list to never load the org package.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: org-plus-contrib should provide org
@ 2014-08-01 16:50   ` Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2014-08-01 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Bastien'; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> > The org-plus-contrib package on http://orgmode.org/elpa/ should provide org-8.0
> Why do you think it does not?

To be frank, I'm not sure how packages declare what they provide.
org-plus-contrib has this
(define-package "org-plus-contrib" "20140526" "Outline-based notes management and organizer" 'nil)

While org has that:
(define-package "org" "20140526" "Outline-based notes management and organizer" 'nil)

All I know is that when I install something like org-reveal:

(define-package "ox-reveal" "20140409.929" "reveal.js Presentation Back-End for Org Export Engine"
   '((org "8.0")) :keywords ("outlines" "hypermedia" "slideshow" "presentation"))

(the second line starts with the REQUIREMENTS param of define-package)

it goes and installs org, even though I have org-plus-contribs.