* Exporting to LaTeX Beamer
@ 2014-04-25  4:38 Uwe Ziegenhagen
From: Uwe Ziegenhagen @ 2014-04-25  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am trying to export an org file to individual Beamer frames but fail as
Org mode exports the sections, but not the frames.

I use the following example org file (as given by
http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html)

######################################

#+TITLE:     Writing Beamer presentations in org-mode
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+EMAIL:     e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk
#+DATE:      2010-03-30 Tue
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:
#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %9BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Introduction
** A simple slide
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:

- the first, very @important@, point!
- the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
  translates to the Beamer specific /alert/ command for highlighting
  text.

The above list could be numbered or any other type of list and may
include sub-lists.

and get the following result, where ** is translated into subsection.

% Created 2014-04-25 Fr 06:36
\documentclass[bigger]{beamer}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{marvosym}
\usepackage{wasysym}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
\author{Eric S Fraga}
\date{2010-03-30 Tue}
\title{Writing Beamer presentations in org-mode}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.6)}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\section{Introduction}
\label{sec-1}
\subsection{A simple slide}
\label{sec-1-1}
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:

\begin{itemize}
\item the first, very @important@, point!
\item the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
translates to the Beamer specific \emph{alert} command for highlighting
text.
\end{itemize}

The above list could be numbered or any other type of list and may
include sub-lists.
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.6)
\end{document}

######################

What is needed to fix this?

Uwe

* Re: Exporting to LaTeX Beamer
@ 2014-04-25  7:50 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-04-25  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Ziegenhagen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 04:38, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to export an org file to individual Beamer frames but fail as
> Org mode exports the sections, but not the frames.

Use H:2 option instead of H:3 (in the #+OPTIONS line).  This setting
tells the exporter which level of heading constitutes frames.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-1027-g4c0a29

* Re: Exporting to LaTeX Beamer
@ 2014-04-25  9:37   ` Uwe Ziegenhagen
From: Uwe Ziegenhagen @ 2014-04-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 04:38, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to export an org file to individual Beamer frames but fail as
> > Org mode exports the sections, but not the frames.
>
> Use H:2 option instead of H:3 (in the #+OPTIONS line).  This setting
> tells the exporter which level of heading constitutes frames.

Hi Eric, thanks for the feedback. I switched to H:2 but get no difference in
the output:

#################################

[...]

##########################

generates (excerpt)

\section{Introduction}
\label{sec-1}
\subsection{A simple slide}
\label{sec-1-1}
This slide consists of some text with a number of bullet points:

\begin{itemize}
\item the first, very @important@, point!
\item the previous point shows the use of the special markup which
translates to the Beamer specific \emph{alert} command for highlighting
text.
\end{itemize}
###############################

Here's the .emacs file I use:

;; Do not show welcome screen
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)

;; Load Emacs Org-Mode
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs-24.3/MyLisp/org-8.2.6/lisp/")

;; load the latex extension
(require 'ox-html)
(require 'ox-latex)
(require 'ox-ascii)
(require 'ox-beamer)

;; Load Recentfile code, see entry in  menu
(require 'recentf)
(recentf-mode 1)
(setq recentf-max-menu-items 25)
(global-set-key "\C-x\ \C-r" 'recentf-open-files)

;; show no startup-screen
(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

;; just answer Emacs' question with 'y' or 'n'
(defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

* Re: Exporting to LaTeX Beamer
@ 2014-04-25 10:02     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-04-25 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Ziegenhagen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 09:37, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> On Friday, 25 Apr 2014 at 04:38, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to export an org file to individual Beamer frames but fail as
>> > Org mode exports the sections, but not the frames.
>>
>> Use H:2 option instead of H:3 (in the #+OPTIONS line).  This setting
>> tells the exporter which level of heading constitutes frames.
>

> Hi Eric, thanks for the feedback. I switched to H:2 but get no difference in
> the output:

How exactly are you trying to export?  Your output looks like a plain
latex export (M-x org-export-dispatch RET l p), not beamer (... l P)?
Note difference in case (p versus P) and similar for export to latex
code alone (l or b) and for opening the PDF automatically (o versus O).

For beamer export, by the way, you do not need to specify the
latex_class.  For version 8.x of org, you no longer need
BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL either.  For most of my beamer org documents, all I
have in terms of specifications is the following:

#+TITLE:     The title of the talk
#+AUTHOR:    Eric S Fraga
#+LaTeX_CLASS_options: [bigger,allowframebreaks]
#+startup: beamer

followed by the actual content.  The startup option is to enable the
special key bindings that work on headlines for columns and blocks.

Also note that @...@ is no longer the specification for alterted
text.  Use *...* instead.  The example you have was for version 7.x of
org.

Finally, the documentation for the new exporter, for org v8.x, is here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
The older documentation, written by me initially, is no longer
applicable but is there for those people still using org v7.x.

HTH,
eric

--

@ 2014-04-25 11:38       ` Uwe Ziegenhagen
From: Uwe Ziegenhagen @ 2014-04-25 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> How exactly are you trying to export?  Your output looks like a plain
> latex export (M-x org-export-dispatch RET l p), not beamer (... l P)?
> Note difference in case (p versus P) and similar for export to latex
> code alone (l or b) and for opening the PDF automatically (o versus O).

Got it! My assumption was that the LaTeX export is controlled by the beamer
startup option and just user the lowercase exports.

Now it's working, thanks for the help!

Uwe