* Exporting an article to a (very) specific formatting template
@ 2013-04-29  7:22 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-29  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Actually, let me take a few steps back from my specific question about
the title command. There are some other workflow questions that might
make that question redundant.

This journal (for some reason unknown to me) has designed the
publication format in MS Word, and there are some specific
requirements. So I have a couple of choices:

- Export to LaTeX, and try to reproduce their layout (likely with a
  new document class based on "article"). That's a chunk of work, but
  they also confirmed that I could send PDF as long as it follows the
  style guidelines.

- Export to ODT. This is probably simpler for setup -- I'd probably
  just need to change some of the names of paragraph or character
  styles in their template so that org can find them for section
  headings, abstract etc. But... there is more risk of the formatting
  breaking. If I send .odt, MS Word might choke on it, or similar
  if I resave my .odt as .docx. (The word online is that LibreOffice
  does not do well saving docx.)

Or, export to ODT and let LibreOffice turn that into a PDF. I hesitate
to do this, when LaTeX is a far superior typesetter. (But, tweaking
all the formatting details in LaTeX is quite likely to give me some
more gray hairs...)

Advice? Thanks --
hjh

* Re: Exporting an article to a (very) specific formatting template
@ 2013-04-29 15:15 ` mohamed
From: mohamed @ 2013-04-29 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Actually, let me take a few steps back from my specific question about
> the title command. There are some other workflow questions that might
> make that question redundant.
>
> This journal (for some reason unknown to me) has designed the
> publication format in MS Word, and there are some specific
> requirements. So I have a couple of choices:
>
> - Export to LaTeX, and try to reproduce their layout (likely with a
>   new document class based on "article"). That's a chunk of work, but
>   they also confirmed that I could send PDF as long as it follows the
>   style guidelines.
>
> - Export to ODT. This is probably simpler for setup -- I'd probably
>   just need to change some of the names of paragraph or character
>   styles in their template so that org can find them for section
>   headings, abstract etc. But... there is more risk of the formatting
>   breaking. If I send .odt, MS Word might choke on it, or similar
>   if I resave my .odt as .docx. (The word online is that LibreOffice
>   does not do well saving docx.)
>
> Or, export to ODT and let LibreOffice turn that into a PDF. I hesitate
> to do this, when LaTeX is a far superior typesetter. (But, tweaking
> all the formatting details in LaTeX is quite likely to give me some
> more gray hairs...)
>
> Advice? Thanks --
> hjh

I used both aproaches :
- Usually I customize the org options (latex templates) to meet the
requirements of the final document. It is convenient for me to stay in
emacs. For the gray hairs, you do it once and thus you have minor
modifications.

- But sometimes when I work with other colleagues I need to have something
more common, odt seems fine but as you mentioned you may have to add a final
manual toutch to be sure your document can be modified by the others.

* Re: Exporting an article to a (very) specific formatting template
@ 2013-04-29 21:09 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-04-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-04-29, o godz. 07:22:23
James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Or, export to ODT and let LibreOffice turn that into a PDF. I hesitate
> to do this, when LaTeX is a far superior typesetter. (But, tweaking
> all the formatting details in LaTeX is quite likely to give me some
> more gray hairs...)

What about using koma-script or memoir class?  And you can always ask
about some specific formatting problems on TeX.SE (they are very
willing to help there provided that the asker actually made some effort
himself first, like some *basic* rtfm or preparing a MWE).

> Advice? Thanks --
> hjh

hth

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Exporting an article to a (very) specific formatting template
@ 2013-04-30  1:57   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-30  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

mohamed <mohamed.hibti <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I used both aproaches :
> - Usually I customize the org options (latex templates) to meet the
> requirements of the final document. It is convenient for me to stay in
> emacs. For the gray hairs, you do it once and thus you have minor
> modifications.
>
> - But sometimes when I work with other colleagues I need to have something
> more common, odt seems fine but as you mentioned you may have to add a final
> manual toutch to be sure your document can be modified by the others.

Ok, based on this and Marcin's comments, I'll do it the LaTeX way (which was
my first choice anyway).

Naturally, I'm using org to keep a TODO list of the formatting details I need
to match...

@ 2013-04-30 15:14     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-30 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Ok, based on this and Marcin's comments, I'll do it the LaTeX way (which was
> my first choice anyway).

I think this is a good choice.  It's what I try to do whenever
possible.  And for cases where the submission is meant to be "camera
ready", the latex produced papers always stand out because they just
simply look better!

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-alpha-307-g3a0e55.dirty

* Re: Exporting an article to a (very) specific formatting template
@ 2013-04-30 15:57     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-04-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-04-30, o godz. 01:57:51
James Harkins < jamshark70@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Ok, based on this and Marcin's comments, I'll do it the LaTeX way
> (which was my first choice anyway).

Now I'll feel responsible for your LaTeX problems;).

Seriously, though: should you run into LaTeX problems, feel free to
email me.  I'm a long-time (ca half of my life) TeX and LaTeX addict.

> Naturally, I'm using org to keep a TODO list of the formatting
> details I need to match...
>
> Thanks.
> hjh

Happy TeXing