* Sync Org with Google Calendar using google API (rather than caldav)
@ 2013-03-29 11:03 Baptiste
From: Baptiste @ 2013-03-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have  started a  /google calendar/  synchronization ~Emacs~ module.  Rather than
using =ical= format,  I use directly ~Google~  =API=. For sure it is  less usefull for
other  calendar services,  but  it will  keep working  when  ~Google~ is  stopping
supporting =caldav=.

For now,  only fetch from  ~Google~ is implemented,  but extension (then  push and
sync) should be quiet easy to manage.

You will find it [[https://github.com/bateast/google-calendar][here (github)]].

If this can be usefull for you,

--

: ~^v^~ Bat

* Re: Sync Org with Google Calendar using google API (rather than caldav)
@ 2013-03-29 15:05 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-03-29 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baptiste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 29 March 2013 11:03, Baptiste <bateast@bat.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started a google calendar synchronization Emacs module. Rather than
> using ical format, I use directly Google API. For sure it is less usefull for
> other calendar services, but it will keep working when Google is stopping
> supporting caldav.
>

> For now, only fetch from Google is implemented, but extension (then push and
> sync) should be quiet easy to manage.
>

> You will find it here (github).
>

> If this can be usefull for you,

Sounds interesting.  It would be very helpful if you could explain how it is
different from the other synchronization possibilities out there, e.g.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html
https://code.google.com/p/emacs-google/
https://github.com/travisbhartwell/Emacs-Google-Calendar-Sync
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GoogleClient

* Re: Sync Org with Google Calendar using google API (rather than caldav)
@ 2013-04-02  7:17 ` Baptiste Fouques
From: Baptiste Fouques @ 2013-04-02  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adam Spiers <orgmode <at> adamspiers.org> writes:

> Sounds interesting.  It would be very helpful if you could explain how it is
> different from the other synchronization possibilities out there, e.g.
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html
> https://code.google.com/p/emacs-google/
> https://github.com/travisbhartwell/Emacs-Google-Calendar-Sync
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GoogleClient

two  main things  make  my sync  different  (also  this does  not  make it  more
interesting ;)
- it does not rely on external command
- it does not rely on ics

I always found that relying on  external commands makes thing more complex : you
have to  configure that command, in  its configuration file or  through scripted
call by passing right arguments, and then you have to integrate it in your Emacs
workflow.

Using command in Emacs, configured  through convenient customization group is so
natural …

Then, my sync. uses Google json API (and authentification using oauth, stored in
crypted file, for no secret in your  config file or anywhere else). This make it
by far less  portable. But, with Google dropping standards,  or juts maintaining
it at  there minimal  level, it makes  it more  close to what  you can  get from
Google calendar and events.

Also using  elisp Json library is  so easy and  robust in regard to  parsing ics
files that it sounds very natural to use it.

I don't  mean it is  better than caldav  sync tools, but  that I could  not find
myself satisfied  with those  tools, worried  about Google  call to  drop caldav
compatibility,  that  I  feel  I  need   something  more  close  to  Google  API
possibilities. Then I  started it, and just  offer to share (that  how it works,
right ? ;)

Thanks for the work of the community,

@ 2013-04-03 17:09 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-03 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baptiste; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Salut Baptiste,

Baptiste <bateast@bat.fr.eu.org> writes:

> I have started a google calendar synchronization Emacs
> module. Rather than using ical format, I use directly Google
> API. For sure it is less usefull for other calendar services, but it
> will keep working when Google is stopping supporting caldav.

I didn't realize it was importing the Google calendar as an Org
file, this is nice and a nice use of Babel.

> For now, only fetch from Google is implemented, but extension (then
> push and sync) should be quiet easy to manage.

Maybe you can have a look at org-sync for ideas:
  http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-sync.git/

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Sync Org with Google Calendar using google API (rather than caldav)
@ 2013-04-08 17:25   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-04-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baptiste Fouques; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks a lot for the info!  I agree that natively talking to the JSON API
is a nice feature :)