* org-capture vs. org-agenda-capture
@ 2012-12-11 15:23 Rene
From: Rene @ 2012-12-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When calling org-capture ('C-c c'), you get the current inactive timestamp with
date and time [2012-12-11 Tue 16:18] whenever you specify '%U' in your capture
template.

On the other hand, when calling org-agenda-capture ('k' from the agenda), your
timestamps always indicates a null time [2012-12-11 Tue 00:00].

Is there a way I can force org-agenda-capture to indicate the current time?

--
Rene

* Re: org-capture vs. org-agenda-capture
@ 2012-12-12 14:40 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rene,

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> On the other hand, when calling org-agenda-capture ('k' from the agenda), your
> timestamps always indicates a null time [2012-12-11 Tue 00:00].
>
> Is there a way I can force org-agenda-capture to indicate the current
> time?

From latest git, you can use `C-1 k' to use the time of the current line
or the current time.

Thanks for triggering this change!

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-capture vs. org-agenda-capture
@ 2012-12-12 21:24   ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2012-12-12 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As a matter of fact, when called from the agenda `%U' doesn't expand as the
current timestamp but rather provides the date of the line your point is on.

Wouldn't it be more convenient to get the current timestamp anyway?

Suppose you would like to create a new appointment then
1. you view your agenda to see whether you're free on a particular date
2. you place the cursor on that date line
3. you invoke org-agenda-capture (hit `k' key) from there

then a template such as this one

  ("a" "Appointment" entry (file+headline "~/gtd.org" "Inbox")
       "* APPT %?\n  %^T\n Added: %U")

would expand as

  * APPT Dentist
  <2012-12-25 Tue 18:00-19:00>
  Added: [2012-12-12 Wed 22:13]

which makes sense; instead of

  * APPT Dentist
  <2012-12-25 Tue 18:00-19:00>
  Added: [2012-12-25 Wed 00:00]

as it is today.

--

@ 2012-12-12 23:24     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-12 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Rene,

Rene <jlr_0@yahoo.com> writes:

> As a matter of fact, when called from the agenda `%U' doesn't expand as the
> current timestamp but rather provides the date of the line your point is on.

Depends.  From the agenda, you can use either org-capture directly, or
org-agenda-capture.  org-capture will convert %U using current time, not
the time of the agenda line -- unless `org-capture-use-agenda-date' is t.

> Wouldn't it be more convenient to get the current timestamp anyway?

If you want the date the cursor is on, I think 00:00 as a default time
makes sense, mixing the current time and the date line would be confusing
IMHO.

> Suppose you would like to create a new appointment then
> 1. you view your agenda to see whether you're free on a particular date
> 2. you place the cursor on that date line
> 3. you invoke org-agenda-capture (hit `k' key) from there
>
> then a template such as this one
>
>   ("a" "Appointment" entry (file+headline "~/gtd.org" "Inbox")
>        "* APPT %?\n  %^T\n Added: %U")
>
> would expand as
>
>   * APPT Dentist
>   <2012-12-25 Tue 18:00-19:00>
>   Added: [2012-12-12 Wed 22:13]
>
> which makes sense; instead of
>
>   * APPT Dentist
>   <2012-12-25 Tue 18:00-19:00>
>   Added: [2012-12-25 Wed 00:00]
>
> as it is today.

I guess M-x org-capture is enough here.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-capture vs. org-agenda-capture
@ 2012-12-13 13:13       ` Rene
From: Rene @ 2012-12-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> I guess M-x org-capture is enough here.

No big deal.

I'll just make use of

    %(org-insert-time-stamp nil t t nil nil nil)

instead of

    %U

--
Rene