* [new exporter]: LaTeX output from babel escapes comment delimiter
@ 2012-10-25  0:15 Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-10-25  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use the xtables package in R to generate nice-looking tables for LaTeX output,
as in the snippet below. The new exporter escapes the % symbol in the R output,
so that the comments generated by xtable are no longer comments.

* Snippet
  #+HEADER: :results output latex
  #+HEADER: :exports results
  #+BEGIN_SRC R
  library(xtable)
  xtable(matrix(c(1,2,3,4),nrow=2,ncol=2))
  #+END_SRC

  #+RESULTS:
  #+BEGIN_LaTeX
  % latex table generated in R 2.15.1 by xtable 1.7-0 package
  % Thu Oct 25 13:11:30 2012
  \begin{table}[ht]
  \begin{center}
  \begin{tabular}{rrr}
    \hline
   & 1 & 2 \\
    \hline
  1 & 1.00 & 3.00 \\
    2 & 2.00 & 4.00 \\
     \hline
  \end{tabular}
  \end{center}
  \end{table}
  #+END_LaTeX

* Re: [new exporter]: LaTeX output from babel escapes comment delimiter
@ 2012-10-25  1:14 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-10-25  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Mike,

It looks like your source block and results are indented.  IIRC, that's
not a good thing.

This might work better:

#+name: gauland-eg
#+HEADER: :results output raw
#+HEADER: :exports results
#+BEGIN_SRC R
  library(xtable)
  library(ascii)
  print(ascii(xtable(matrix(c(1,2,3,4),nrow=2,ncol=2))),type="org")
#+END_SRC

#+results: gauland-eg
|   |    1 |    2 |
|---+------+------|
| 1 | 1.00 | 3.00 |
| 2 | 2.00 | 4.00 |

Then you can let the new exporter do the work of making the LaTeX export
look nice. This has the (possible) advantage that it also exports to the
other back ends, not just LaTeX.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [new exporter]: LaTeX output from babel escapes comment delimiter
@ 2012-10-25  3:41   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-10-25  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Michael Gauland

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha Mike,
>
> It looks like your source block and results are indented.  IIRC, that's
> not a good thing.
>
> This might work better:
>
> #+name: gauland-eg
> #+HEADER: :results output raw
> #+HEADER: :exports results
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>   library(xtable)
>   library(ascii)
>   print(ascii(xtable(matrix(c(1,2,3,4),nrow=2,ncol=2))),type="org")
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+results: gauland-eg
> |   |    1 |    2 |
> |---+------+------|
> | 1 | 1.00 | 3.00 |
> | 2 | 2.00 | 4.00 |
>
> Then you can let the new exporter do the work of making the LaTeX export
> look nice. This has the (possible) advantage that it also exports to the
> other back ends, not just LaTeX.

I agree with Tom's comments in general, although there might exist
special situations where the output would have to be tweaked and made
less generic.

But even in the original form below, I cannot reproduce Michael's problem: the
% signs are not escaped. I get

\section{Snippet}
\label{sec-1}
% latex table generated in R 2.12.1 by xtable 1.5-6 package
% Wed Oct 24 23:38:22 2012
\begin{table}[ht]
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{rrr}
  \hline
 & 1 & 2 \\
  \hline
1 & 1.00 & 3.00 \\
  2 & 2.00 & 4.00 \\
   \hline
\end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{table}
% Generated by Org mode 7.9.2 in Emacs 24.2.50.1.

Org-mode version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-459-g6f7e92 @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

Nick

@ 2012-10-25 12:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-25 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Michael Gauland, Thomas S. Dye

Hello,

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> But even in the original form below, I cannot reproduce Michael's problem: the
> % signs are not escaped. I get

I cannot reproduce it either.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter]: LaTeX output from babel escapes comment delimiter
@ 2012-10-25 22:20       ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2012-10-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for trying to reproduce this. I tried again from 'emacs -Q', and couldn't
reproduce it either. I'm concluding it's due to some cruft in  my .emacs file,
and not a problem with the exporter.

--Mike