* error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-22 21:21 fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2012-04-22 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,
  I just upgraded to Org 7.8.09 from Org 6.36.  I am on windows 7 (x64) with GNU
Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601).

  When I open an org file with  #+startup: indent in the header, the cursor
immediately goes to the bottom of the buffer and can not be moved upward.

  Here is a file (test.org) demonstrating the problem:
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-23 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkunze; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:

>   When I open an org file with  #+startup: indent in the header, the cursor
> immediately goes to the bottom of the buffer and can not be moved upward.

I can't reproduce this error...

> This behavior does not occur in Org 6.36.

... and that's surely why.

Please update to a more recent version of Org, if possible.

 Bastien

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-24 11:45   ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2012-04-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: fkunze, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 23, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Bastien wrote:

> fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>  When I open an org file with  #+startup: indent in the header, the cursor
>> immediately goes to the bottom of the buffer and can not be moved upward.
>
> I can't reproduce this error...
>
>> This behavior does not occur in Org 6.36.
>
> ... and that's surely why.

Actually he/she said that he had just upgraded to Org 7.8.09 (the test on 6.36 was his/her regression test) -- so I don't think the absolute version of Org is the problem.

Fkunze - I am suspecting that you have mis-matched org-mode installs, i.e. pieces and parts of both. What does =M-x org-version= say when you are experiencing the problem?

Can you completely clean/remove the old Org 6.36 version to ensure no conflict?

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-24 12:45     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-24 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McLean; +Cc: fkunze, emacs-orgmode

Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com> writes:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Bastien wrote:
>
>> fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>  When I open an org file with  #+startup: indent in the header, the cursor
>>> immediately goes to the bottom of the buffer and can not be moved upward.
>>
>> I can't reproduce this error...
>>
>>> This behavior does not occur in Org 6.36.
>>
>> ... and that's surely why.
>
> Actually he/she said that he had just upgraded to Org 7.8.09 (the test on
> 6.36 was his/her regression test) -- so I don't think the absolute version
> of Org is the problem.

You're right of course.  Sorry for the noise and thanks for the
clarification.

--
 Bastien

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-24 14:22     ` Fritz Kunze
From: Fritz Kunze @ 2012-04-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McLean; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Hi Guys,
  Thanks for trying to help  me with this.

   I re-did the installation:

     I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
returned 7.8.09.
          (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this report, I
built the compiled version of this upgrade by using

            M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
byte-recompile-directory)

     I renamed the org-6.36 folder. I started up emacs and the error still
appeared.

     Prior to the attempted upgrade, my load-path contained:
           (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-6.36/lisp")
           (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-6.36/contrib/lisp")

      And after the attempted upgrade my load-path contained:
           (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp")
           (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp")

As an experiment, I modified the load-path to consist only of one statement:
     (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/")
     ; (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp")
And suddenly the "bug" vanished.  What's going on - do you have any idea?
 I thought I would certainly need this
directory "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp" in my load-path.

I also tried some of the steps listed in:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-track.html    but when I execute
the command (listed there): M-x customize-variable RET org-track-directory
RET, I get the message [No Match] - so there apparently is not
org-track-directory variable (at least on windows)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

-Fritz Kunze

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Mike McLean <mike.mclean@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Bastien wrote:
>
> > fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >>  When I open an org file with  #+startup: indent in the header, the
> cursor
> >> immediately goes to the bottom of the buffer and can not be moved
> upward.
> >
> > I can't reproduce this error...
> >
> >> This behavior does not occur in Org 6.36.
> >
> > ... and that's surely why.
>
> Actually he/she said that he had just upgraded to Org 7.8.09 (the test on
> 6.36 was his/her regression test) -- so I don't think the absolute version
> of Org is the problem.
>
> Fkunze - I am suspecting that you have mis-matched org-mode installs, i.e.
> pieces and parts of both. What does =M-x org-version= say when you are
> experiencing the problem?
>
> Can you completely clean/remove the old Org 6.36 version to ensure no
> conflict?

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-24 19:18       ` Achim Gratz
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-24 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fritz Kunze writes:
>      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
> returned 7.8.09.

You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).

>           (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this
> report, I built the compiled version of this upgrade by using
>
>             M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
> byte-recompile-directory)

You still don't have org-install.el

>      I renamed the org-6.36 folder. I started up emacs and the error
> still appeared.

You do not have org-install.el and you are picking up outdated autoload
definitions from your emacs installation.

> As an experiment, I modified the load-path to consist only of one
> statement:
>      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/")
>      ; (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp")
> And suddenly the "bug" vanished.  What's going on - do you have any
> idea?  I thought I would certainly need this
> directory "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp" in my load-path.

Fix the installation first and then worry about things in contrib/.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-24 21:45         ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2012-04-24 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Fritz Kunze writes:
>>      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
>> returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>
>>           (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this
>> report, I built the compiled version of this upgrade by using
>>
>>             M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
>> byte-recompile-directory)
>
> You still don't have org-install.el

I think this tone of reply is very harsh, and I feel for the OP. Has it
suddenly become a requirement to know emacs-lisp, and have a reasonable
understanding of `autoload' to even install?

A very formal announcement and good documentation would perhaps have been a
good idea. Don't get me wrong - I like the new makefile, but there *is*
now magic that there never was, without question.

I think it would be better to refer to some good documentation rather
than short terse admonishment over something that `used to work'.

My 2c.

Best, Martyn

@ 2012-04-25  1:41         ` Mike McLean
From: Mike McLean @ 2012-04-25  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Fritz Kunze writes:
>>      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
>> returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).

If you have admin-rights / sudo access on your machine, the simplest method may be to just follow the true install process at http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation. Any reasonably setup Linux/Unix system will require sudo / root access for the make install step.

If you are going to run Org-Mode without running “make install” (or don't have the proper rights to run “make install”), the build process has recently changed. This is likely why you are picking up the old autoloads. Instead of = M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x byte-recompile-directory)= do the following from your shell:

$ cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/
$ make oldorg

Back in Emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
Then immediately do a

M-x org-version

If you don't get a string similar to mine below, you still have conflicting versions of Org Mode. In particular you are looking for the part after the '@' sign to point to an org-install.el that matches your ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp directory location. Without it, Emacs and Org will be hopelessly confused.

=Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09-335-geabf89 @ /Users/mlm/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el)=

Mike

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-25 16:47           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martyn Jago writes:
> I think this tone of reply is very harsh, and I feel for the OP.

I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.

> Has it suddenly become a requirement to know emacs-lisp, and have a
> reasonable understanding of `autoload' to even install?

No, but

> A very formal announcement and good documentation would perhaps have been a
> good idea. Don't get me wrong - I like the new makefile, but there *is*
> now magic that there never was, without question.

An announcement will surely be made by Bastien when the next release is
made and the documentation should be ready by then.

This problem has nothing to do with the new Makefile, it didn't even
enter the picture (remember this change isn't on 7.8.09 and the OP
didn't use make at all).  The reason that the setup the OP described
worked before is that the versions used by his Emacs (likely 6.33x) and
the new Org he installed (6.36) were sufficiently similar.

> I think it would be better to refer to some good documentation rather
> than short terse admonishment over something that `used to work'.

The documentation on orgmode.org does describe what to do when switching
from Emacs' org version to a newer one.  If you follow those
instructions step-by-step, everything will work.

@ 2012-04-25 18:56             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz writes:
>> Has it suddenly become a requirement to know emacs-lisp, and have a
>> reasonable understanding of `autoload' to even install?
>
> No, but

Something obviously got cut out before I sent this... it should read:

No, but I've been in the same situation as to OP some time ago and it
took me months to drill to the bottom of some mysterious (at the time)
and seemingly random errors.  Even a single-word answer would have saved
me quite some time.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-25 20:53         ` fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2012-04-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:

> Fritz Kunze writes:
> >      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
> > returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>
> >           (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this
> > report, I built the compiled version of this upgrade by using
> >
> >             M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
> > byte-recompile-directory)
>
> You still don't have org-install.el
>
> >      I renamed the org-6.36 folder. I started up emacs and the error
> > still appeared.
>
> You do not have org-install.el and you are picking up outdated autoload
> definitions from your emacs installation.
>
> > As an experiment, I modified the load-path to consist only of one
> > statement:
> >      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/")
> >      ; (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp")
> > And suddenly the "bug" vanished.  What's going on - do you have any
> > idea?  I thought I would certainly need this
> > directory "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp" in my load-path.
>
> Fix the installation first and then worry about things in contrib/.
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
Hi Achim,
  I managed to fix my installation (at least so far) with the addition of

(require 'org-install)

Thanks for your comments as they led me to try this solution.  One question:
when you wrote "outdated autoload definitions" did you mean that I should be
using some other form to specify the load path (I was loading from
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/") rather than from (add-to-list
'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-6.36/lisp")?

  Regarding the installation instructions: At first I started here
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) but since I am
running on windows 7, I have no access to "Make".  I want to avoid installing
cywin as it typically fails to track windows 7 x64.  As far as I can tell, make
is unnecessary as well since you can hand compile all the files (as I described
in my bug report). It's my mistake that I failed to notice the requirement to
add (require 'org-install).

  Here's a suggestion that might help others who encounter similar problems:
Augment the installation description
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) with a short
description for windows users (that avoids the use of make).

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-25 21:01           ` fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2012-04-25 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martyn Jago <martyn.jago <at> btinternet.com> writes:

Hi Martyn,
Thanks for your support on this issue.  I appreciate it.  The main issue for me
seems to be the paucity of window's specific documentation.  I understand that
most people are linux users on this list.

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-25 21:29           ` fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2012-04-25 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mike McLean <mike.mclean <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Fritz Kunze writes:     I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version
- which

> returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>

> If you have admin-rights / sudo access on your machine, the simplest method
may be to just follow the true install process
at http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation. Any reasonably
setup Linux/Unix system will require sudo / root access for the make install
step.

> If you are going to run Org-Mode without running “make install” (or don't have
the proper rights to run “make install”), the build process has recently
changed. This is likely why you are picking up the old autoloads. Instead of
= M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x byte-recompile-directory)=
do the following from your shell:

> $ cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/
> $ make oldorg
>
> Back in Emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp")
> (require 'org-install)
> Then immediately do a
>
> M-x org-version
>
> If you don't get a string similar to mine below, you still have conflicting
versions of Org Mode. In particular you are looking for the part after the '
<at> ' sign to point to an org-install.el that matches your ~/.emacs.d/org-
7.8.09/lisp directory location. Without it, Emacs and Org will be hopelessly
confused.

> =Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09-335-geabf89  <at>
/Users/mlm/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el)=

> Mike

Hi Mike,
  Thanks for your comments.  Combining what you wrote with what Achim wrote I
was able to get my upgraded installation (org-7.8.90) to work as it once did in
org-6.36 (at least so far).

  I am unable to generate something similar to what you wrote that appears after
the <at> sign - (you got something that included a path (~/.emacs.d/org-
7.8.09/lisp directory location)), all I get is the string org-7.8.09.  Is the
path stashed away in some customization variable that I can examine?

  If I don't have access to Make and I hand compiled the code, should I continue
to expect to encounter other types of problems?

  At the risk of being redundant (as I separately replied to Achim) - Regarding

@ 2012-04-26  4:29           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-26  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

fkunze writes:
>   Regarding the installation instructions: At first I started here
> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) but since I am
> running on windows 7, I have no access to "Make".  I want to avoid installing
> cywin as it typically fails to track windows 7 x64.  As far as I can tell, make
> is unnecessary as well since you can hand compile all the files (as I described
> in my bug report). It's my mistake that I failed to notice the requirement to
> add (require 'org-install).

The make from MSys would also work.  Again, it is not the (missing or
not) byte-compilation that is the problem.

I plan to provide a way to generate the autoloads without make, maybe
even automatically when they are determined to be missing.  Until then
you'd have to do this by hand; start emacs (preferrably with options
"--no-init -Q -l autoload") and enter this into the scratch buffer (the
path must be an absolute one):

(setq generated-autoload-file "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/lisp/org-install.el")
(update-directory-autoloads "lisp")

Then move the cursor to the end of each line and press C-j

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-26  7:03           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-26  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkunze; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:

> Augment the installation description
> (http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) with a short
> description for windows users (that avoids the use of make).

I'm not using Windows myself, but I would welcome a patch that clarifies
the installation process for Windows.

Anyone?

--
 Bastien

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-26 17:08             ` fkunze
From: fkunze @ 2012-04-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> fkunze <fkunze <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Augment the installation description
> > (http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) with a short
> > description for windows users (that avoids the use of make).
>
> I'm not using Windows myself, but I would welcome a patch that clarifies
> the installation process for Windows.
>
> Anyone?

Hi Bastien,
At the risk of redundancy (as I posted this paragraph earlier) the people
at the python sphinx documentation project have a similar problem (of producing
a "make" for windows) and it might be possible to rapidly develop a make.bat
file for org-mode installations by making modifications of their "make.bat"
source file:

https://trac.jmodelica.org/assimulo/browser/trunk/doc/sphinx/make.bat

I am too far removed from the intricacies of mapping the unix make options to
something that will work on windows - to produce something of real value in a
reasonable time period.  But I do have a friend who might be able to rapidly
develop an appropriate mapping.  Let me see if I can interest him in
satisfying
your request.

* Re: error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
@ 2012-04-27 21:31               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-27 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkunze; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

fkunze <fkunze@gmail.com> writes:

> At the risk of redundancy (as I posted this paragraph earlier) the people
> at the python sphinx documentation project have a similar problem (of producing
> a "make" for windows) and it might be possible to rapidly develop a make.bat
> file for org-mode installations by making modifications of their "make.bat"
> source file:
>
> https://trac.jmodelica.org/assimulo/browser/trunk/doc/sphinx/make.bat
>
> I am too far removed from the intricacies of mapping the unix make options to
> something that will work on windows - to produce something of real value in a
> reasonable time period.  But I do have a friend who might be able to rapidly
> develop an appropriate mapping.  Let me see if I can interest him in
> satisfying your request.

It would be highly appreciated -- thanks in advance!

--
 Bastien