* TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01  9:09 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-02-01  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 12:25 ` d.tchin
From: d.tchin @ 2012-02-01 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I would like to use the export to taskjuggler, but somehow I don't get
> it working - might be me or the fact that I have taskjuggler 3.1.0.
>
> I am trying the example on
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.html
>
> but I somehow don't get it to work.

I tried to make this example work with tj3 some time ago but I didn't manage
to make it work with the current taskjuggler export procedure. It seems that
the instruction change a lot beetween tj2 and tj3 and as far I understand the
export function was written for tj2.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) does the taskjuggler export work with tj3 (version 3.1.0) (John
> Hendy says it doesn't ("taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and
> proposals"), but there are patches which should have made it work
> (e.g. Christian Egli, "small edits to org-taskjuggler.el for tj3").
> So: what is the actual status?

I put here the link where you can see the change.
Indeed it works with the change proposed by this patch.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40550

This change is apparently not implemented in the current org-taskjuggler.el
file.

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 12:56   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-02-01 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/02/12 13:25, d.tchin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to use the export to taskjuggler, but somehow I
>> don't get it working - might be me or the fact that I have
>> taskjuggler 3.1.0.
>>
>> I am trying the example on
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.html
>>
>> but I somehow don't get it to work.
>>

> I tried to make this example work with tj3 some time ago but I
> didn't manage to make it work with the current taskjuggler export
> procedure. It seems that the instruction change a lot beetween tj2
> and tj3 and as far I understand the export function was written for
> tj2.

Yes - that is my understanding and experience so far as well.

>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1) does the taskjuggler export work with tj3 (version 3.1.0)
>> (John Hendy says it doesn't ("taskjuggler (tj3) export issues
>> and proposals"), but there are patches which should have made it
>> work (e.g. Christian Egli, "small edits to org-taskjuggler.el for
>> tj3"). So: what is the actual status?
>>

> I put here the link where you can see the change. Indeed it works
> with the change proposed by this patch.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40550
>
> This change is apparently not implemented in the current
> org-taskjuggler.el file.

Oversight? Is somebody looking at enabling export for tj3? Or is there
a way that I can install tj2 on Ubuntu Oneiric?

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 13:46   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM, d.tchin <d.tchin@voila.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> 1) does the taskjuggler export work with tj3 (version 3.1.0) (John
>> Hendy says it doesn't ("taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and
>> proposals"), but there are patches which should have made it work
>> (e.g. Christian Egli, "small edits to org-taskjuggler.el for tj3").
>> So: what is the actual status?
>>

> I put here the link where you can see the change.
> Indeed it works with the change proposed by this patch.
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40550

I just tried to apply that patch and get:
---
$ patch -p1 < ../tj3.patch
patching file org-taskjuggler.el
patch: **** malformed patch at line 9: completed, chart
---

Not sure what's wrong.

Even so, see my most recent thread
(http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg51502.html).
Even if that patch works, it's not a viable solution. It sets a
"default" value, but this is really *the* value as in there's no way
to override it from the file. If you want a different export format,
you have to edit your emacs config. The variable should be called
'org-taskjuggler-export-report'. I think the ability to include a .tji
file is the way to go. Write your report definition, add =include
"reports.tji"= to the exporter and you're all set.

John

@ 2012-02-01 13:50     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, d.tchin

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/12 13:25, d.tchin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Oversight? Is somebody looking at enabling export for tj3? Or is there
> a way that I can install tj2 on Ubuntu Oneiric?

If you can bear an extra step, set
'org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports' to nothing (or just comment
out the defaults with a preceding "#" for safekeeping). Add your
report definitions into a file called "reports.tji" (yes, it seems to
have to be "reports.tji" and nothing-else.tji). Then export from the
org file, open up the generated .tjp and add =include "reports.tji"=
as the last line. Should work like a charm.

Try the tutorial report from the taskjuggler documentation perhaps as
a test? It worked for me.

John

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 13:55       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-02-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, d.tchin

On 01/02/12 14:50, John Hendy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/02/12 13:25, d.tchin wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> Oversight? Is somebody looking at enabling export for tj3? Or is
>> there a way that I can install tj2 on Ubuntu Oneiric?
>>

> If you can bear an extra step, set
> 'org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports' to nothing (or just
> comment out the defaults with a preceding "#" for safekeeping). Add
> your report definitions into a file called "reports.tji" (yes, it
> seems to have to be "reports.tji" and nothing-else.tji). Then
> export from the org file, open up the generated .tjp and add
> =include "reports.tji"= as the last line. Should work like a
> charm.

Sounds like an option, but definitely not one I would prefer.
I'll wait and see what happens.

I'll come back to your suggestion if 'll use it anyway.

> Try the tutorial report from the taskjuggler documentation perhaps
> as a test? It worked for me.

I'll do.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> John

- --

@ 2012-02-01 15:22 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2012-02-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to use the export to taskjuggler, but somehow I don't get
> it working - might be me or the fact that I have taskjuggler 3.1.0.
>
> I am trying the example on
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler.html
>
> but I somehow don't get it to work.

Export to a file which can be consumed by tj3 should work. Opening the
exported file with tj2 silently fails if you do not have tj2 installed.
What exactly isn't working?

> My questions are:
>
> 1) does the taskjuggler export work with tj3 (version 3.1.0) (John
> Hendy says it doesn't ("taskjuggler (tj3) export issues and
> proposals"), but there are patches which should have made it work
> (e.g. Christian Egli, "small edits to org-taskjuggler.el for tj3").
> So: what is the actual status?

As I said, export to tj3 should work. See also my resonse to John Hendy.

> 2) does the example (url above) work for tj3?

The example file should work. Set org-export-taskjuggler-target-version
to 3 and set the org-export-taskjuggler-default-reports to something
that tj3 understands. Export to tj3 should be done using C-c C-e j
(org-export-taskjuggler), as C-c C-e J silently fails if you don't have
TaskJugglerUI (aka tj2.4) installed. On the resulting tjp file run tj3
and open the result in a browser.

> 3) if no, could somebody provide a simple example org file which works
> with tj3?

The example file works if I follow the steps above. Let me know if you
have any problems.

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 19:48     ` d.tchin
From: d.tchin @ 2012-02-01 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM, d.tchin <d.tchin <at> voila.fr> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> Even so, see my most recent thread
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode <at> gnu.org/msg51502.html).
> Even if that patch works, it's not a viable solution. It sets a
> "default" value, but this is really *the* value as in there's no way
> to override it from the file. If you want a different export format,
> you have to edit your emacs config. The variable should be called
> 'org-taskjuggler-export-report'. I think the ability to include a .tji
> file is the way to go. Write your report definition, add =include
> "reports.tji"= to the exporter and you're all set.

Thank you for the suggestion and for the link to thread. After several trials
and make it work. As far I understand the tj2 is not maintained anymore and if
users want to use the taskjuggler they will obtain tj3 version. Maybe this
configuration should be described in the info file or perhaps in the tutorial.

> John
>
> > This change is apparently not implemented in the current org-taskjuggler.el
> > file.

Thanks for the help and I would to thank people who invest their time and
skill to develop orgmode and all these extensions.

Regards

* Re: TaskJuggler 3.1 export (tj3)
@ 2012-02-01 19:54       ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-02-01 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d.tchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM, d.tchin <d.tchin@voila.fr> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM, d.tchin <d.tchin <at> voila.fr> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> Even so, see my most recent thread
>> (http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode <at> gnu.org/msg51502.html).
>> Even if that patch works, it's not a viable solution. It sets a
>> "default" value, but this is really *the* value as in there's no way
>> to override it from the file. If you want a different export format,
>> you have to edit your emacs config. The variable should be called
>> 'org-taskjuggler-export-report'. I think the ability to include a .tji
>> file is the way to go. Write your report definition, add =include
>> "reports.tji"= to the exporter and you're all set.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion and for the link to thread. After several trials
> and make it work. As far I understand the tj2 is not maintained anymore and if
> users want to use the taskjuggler they will obtain tj3 version. Maybe this
> configuration should be described in the info file or perhaps in the tutorial.

Glad you got it working. I'm planning to look into updating the
manual/worg (hopefully in return for someone with lisp knowledge to
tweak some things just a smidge) :)

John