* Open Drawer using keys or even better automatically
@ 2011-09-13 21:50 Markus Grebenstein
From: Markus Grebenstein @ 2011-09-13 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear List,

after converting my whole thesis from Scrivener to Orgmode I'm missing
just one feature:
Synopsis

The method proposed in the list using the VISIBILITY property is not
suitable for me since I want to have the synopsis at the level of the
text it describes and I want to be able to have some introduction text
also besides the synopsis.

Therefore I have been wondering wether there is any chance to generate
a sparse tree that opens all specific drawers e.g. :SYNOPSYIS: or
alternatively to have the sparse tree (only showing the headlines) and
open the drawers using keybindings.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Markus

* Re: Open Drawer using keys or even better automatically
@ 2011-09-13 23:01 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-13 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Grebenstein; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Markus,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Markus Grebenstein
<post@mgrebenstein.de> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> after converting my whole thesis from Scrivener to Orgmode I'm missing just
> one feature:
> Synopsis
>
> The method proposed in the list using the VISIBILITY property is not
> suitable for me since I want to have the synopsis at the level of the text
> it describes and I want to be able to have some introduction text also
> besides the synopsis.
>

> Therefore I have been wondering wether there is any chance to generate a
> sparse tree that opens all specific drawers e.g. :SYNOPSYIS: or
> alternatively to have the sparse tree (only showing the headlines) and open
> the drawers using keybindings.

I am a little confused. Do you mean the final form of your thesis is
in org-mode format, or do you intend to export it to pdf (for
submission) or html (maybe for publishing on your webpage)?

If you intend to export it then it is trivial when using the latex
backend (although I don't know how but I'm sure its possible for html
too). All you need to do is write your synopsis within the abstract
environment. You can also have an outline/toc with various levels of
detail by setting the toc: option in the #+OPTIONS: header and
configuring org-export-latex-classes.

If you need more specific help, let me know I could share latex
snippets from my thesis. To give you an idea how an org document might
look after latex export, here is a link to my master's thesis:
<https://theses.lib.sfu.ca/sites/all/files/public_copies/etd6682_sali_pdf_11110.pdf>

On the other hand if you are looking for something to help you during
the writing of the document, you might want to look at org-toc in
contrib/ or speedbar.

> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Markus

Hope that helps, and GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: Open Drawer using keys or even better automatically
@ 2011-11-28 14:47 Markus Grebenstein
From: Markus Grebenstein @ 2011-11-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Suvayu,

at first: sorry for the late response. My last response is "lost in
space". I know how to export my thesis.

This was just about having the ability to see nothing else but the
headings and the synopsis itself, where the synopsis should be
something like

* The Heading
:SYNOPSIS:
Here we have the synopsis text
:END:

Here comes some very lengthy and boring text.

What I'd wish to see is something like.

* The Heading
Here we have the synopsis text

Like e.g. within the Scrivener Cardboard.

Best Markus

* Re: Open Drawer using keys or even better automatically
@ 2011-12-01 21:58 ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-12-01 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Grebenstein <post <at> mgrebenstein.de> writes:

> Dear List,
>
> after converting my whole thesis from Scrivener to Orgmode I'm missing
> just one feature:
> Synopsis
>
> The method proposed in the list using the VISIBILITY property is not
> suitable for me since I want to have the synopsis at the level of the
> text it describes and I want to be able to have some introduction text
> also besides the synopsis.

Markus -- Was this the method you didn't like that used the VISIBILITY property,
or was it the same author's previous solution?:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/34949/match=synopsis

-- Herb Sitz

* Re: Open Drawer using keys or even better automatically
@ 2011-12-13 18:04   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-12-13 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't know what the OP was looking for, but:

Confirmed that the visibility property does not keep open any
properties drawer in latest git in 22.

I wonder if that property is only intended for subtrees.  If so, IMO a
value to keep drawers open would be useful.

Samuel

===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.