From: Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: New version of VimOrganizer, an Org-mode clone in Vim
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:26:57 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand <at> gmail.com> writes:

> or at a similar place that there is also the possibility to have the
> vi modal editing paradigm and most of the vi key bindings within Emacs
> itself by using a vi emulation like Viper mode. (I use Emacs with
> Viper mode all the time to have the best of both worlds.)
>
> Michael

Michael -- No problem, this issue was of course brought up when I started the
project a year or so ago.  Actually for the many Vim users who have tried to
make the transition to Emacs I think it is pretty well known that there are
several different Vim emulators for Emacs.  (Evil is a fairly new one I still
want to try out; I'm not sure but I think it's by same team and intended to
supplant Vimpulse, which itself extends Viper:  http://gitorious.org/evil )

In any case, for several people who contacted me about editing Org documents,
and who had no preference for Vim over Emacs, I of course recommended that they
go with Emacs.  That's a no brainer.

I use Viper/Vimpulse myself when in Emacs, and while nice, I certainly would not
say it gives me the best of both worlds.  It gives me Emacs, which is great,
along with a useful but somewhat kludgy-feeling emulation of a decent chunk of
Vim stuff.  Good enough for some people trying to make the switch to Emacs.  Not
good enough for many, who have tried to make the switch only to turn back to
Vim.  You may be aware that the Org project itself is one of the major reasons
people try to switch from Vim to Emacs.  I was one of those people who tried and
didn't like working in Emacs, despite using Viper/Vimpulse.

Even now when I use Org-mode I mostly operate it using the menu system, not with
the key-chord-combinations.  One neat idea, I think, would be for someone to
extend Viper/Vimpulse/(or Evil) with keybindings that provide a usable Vim-type
modal interface to Org-mode's features.  That could be nice.

Regards,

Herb