* direct link to mails in gmail
@ 2011-10-20  2:41 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-10-20  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just figured out some kind of very interesting possibility.
All the personal data and security feelings aside, I use a gmail account
since I share it between many different computers.

In my org-files, I would sometimes like to link to a particular mail
e.g., for reference purpose.
Today I noticed that each email in my google mail account has a unique
and fixed URL.
Thus, I gave it a try

1. Open your gmail account (log-in)
2. Open the mail you like to refer too.
3. Copy the URL
4. Add the URL as a link (C-c C-l) to your org-file

After that, clicking on the link will open the mail directly in your
standard webbrowser. If you logged out from google mail in between, you
are ask to log-in first, after that select the link again.

But it is getting even better. You are not only able to link to
particular mails within org-mode, but also to google mail labels
(folders) or search results.

To make it even more org-mode friendly one can set-up org-capture in
your webbrowser [1].

I added the following to the org-capture-templates list
("g" "Gmail-link" entry (file+headline "~/org/work.org" "Gmail-links") "%A")

Thus, pressing the assigned button in your browser and emacs will ask
you what kind of link you want to add to your file. Press g for gmail
and enter the description for the link (this could be done
automatically, but I find it to long and not helpful). You will find the
link in your capture buffer in emacs for further processing

I really like it and I hope others find this useful too.
Not sure about the safety issue to link to URLs within your gmail
account. Maybe others can comment on this.

All the best

Totti

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html