From: Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: headline navigation and refiling.
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 07:34:02 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Not a part of org, but I think this occur based library is brilliant:
> > <http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/org-occur-goto.el>
>
> This is good and should be part of Org-mode.  Anyone knows who wrote this?

I wrote it, but this shouldn't be the part of Org, because it's a
hack and I don't want to deal with copyright papers either
for such a trivial package (I've written it in half an hour, so
it's not very hard to reimplement it).

It's a hack, because it should not use occur at all. Occur is
line oriented and the search should be able to treat an org
headline and its text as a single entity when searching.

So it should be reimplemented from the ground up properly with the
same dynamic interface, so that results are shown immediately as the
user is typing, but it should be able to support the same boolean
logic as org-search-view, so one can make intelligent searches with
it.

For example, +dog +wag should find headings like this

* the usual behavior of dogs

they wag their tails

And the search output should show the matching heading and below
that that part of the text which is matching and if possible it
should color the matches (like in the occur output), so in the
above case it would show something like this (with _ indicating
coloring):

* the usual behavior of _dogs_
they _wag_ their tails

That's the version org should have included.