* goto does not accept remote references for local targets
@ 2011-03-08 16:36 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-08 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use the goto interface of org-refile a lot to navigate in my
org files and I often run into the annoying behavior that goto
insists on using local target format when jumping to a header in
the current buffer.

For example, let's assume I have a todo.org file in which there's
a heading called 'test'. If I'm in an other org file then I can
jump to this heading easily with completion. Org completes this
target as "test (todo.org)".

After jumping to this target I move somewhere else in todo.org
and then I want to go this "test" target again. I want to do this
by invoking goto and simply selecting the previous history
element "test (todo.org)" from its history and pressing Enter. I
don't want type and complete it again, because the target is
already in the history.

The problem is if I'm in todo.org then goto accepts local targets
only by their name (without the (todo.org) qualifier), so it
accepts the target only as "test", but not as "test (todo.org)".

The two format should be equivalent in all contexts in my opinion and
goto should accept both of them for the convenience of the user,
regardless of which file is current at the moment.

* Re: goto does not accept remote references for local targets
@ 2011-03-08 16:48 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-08 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Tom <adatgyujto <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is if I'm in todo.org then goto accepts local targets
> only by their name (without the (todo.org) qualifier), so it
> accepts the target only as "test", but not as "test (todo.org)".

BTW, in org 7.5 this "test (todo.org)" is offered as the default
target location, since it was the last goto target and it's quite
convenient. The only problem is that due to the above mentioned problem
it throws the error "Invalid target location"  if I press Enter on
this offered default target and I'm already in todo.org.

The correct fix for that is not the removal of the (todo.org) specifier
from the target in this case, but to make it accept the "test (todo.org)"
format even if I'm already in todo.org