* a question about fontification and org-emphasis-alist
@ 2011-02-25 18:22 Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So,
I really like the emphasis bit that org-emphasis-alist gets me.
But I find that the key characters to do the emphasis, as in /italics/,
remain visible.
It's distracting to me.  I mean, since it's rendered in italics, it's
redundant to show those '/' characters.
I also know that all kinds of things get hidden in org, like the square
parens in links.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the emphasis characters
invisible.
EG: /word/ would be rendered as "word" in italics, without the slashes.

Cheers.
Fil

--
Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

* Re: a question about fontification and org-emphasis-alist
@ 2011-02-25 23:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-25 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 25.2.2011, at 19:22, Filippo A. Salustri wrote:

> So,
> I really like the emphasis bit that org-emphasis-alist gets me.
> But I find that the key characters to do the emphasis, as in /
> italics/, remain visible.
> It's distracting to me.  I mean, since it's rendered in italics,
> it's redundant to show those '/' characters.
> I also know that all kinds of things get hidden in org, like the
> square parens in links.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the emphasis
> characters invisible.
> EG: /word/ would be rendered as "word" in italics, without the
> slashes.

What have you done to find the answer?

Google: org hide emphasis

is already good enough!

Cheers

- Carsten

@ 2011-02-25 23:54   ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-25 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I did try to google a few things, but "hide" was never one of my keywords.
 Sigh.
Google is great IFF you know what keywords to use.

Thanks for the pointer.
Cheers.
Fil

@ 2011-02-26  3:11     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-02-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Filippo A. Salustri <salustri@ryerson.ca> wrote:

> I did try to google a few things, but "hide" was never one of my keywords.
>  Sigh.
> Google is great IFF you know what keywords to use.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
> Cheers.
> Fil
>
> On 25 February 2011 18:11, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> >> So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make the emphasis characters
> >> invisible.
> >> EG: /word/ would be rendered as "word" in italics, without the slashes.
> >>

> > What have you done to find the answer?
> >
> > Google: org hide emphasis
> >
> > is already good enough!

This is with hindsight 20/20 but here is a method for finding such
things, using only emacs: C-h v org-<TAB> then switch to the
*Completions* buffer and search for ``emphasis''. The third hit is
org-hide-emphasis-markers - and you don't have to guess the "hide"
part...

Nick

* Re: a question about fontification and org-emphasis-alist
@ 2011-02-26  3:37       ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-26  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

yeah, right, make me feel even dumber....
...wait, let me just wipe the egg off my face....  :-)
Cheers.
Fil

--

@ 2011-02-26 16:00         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-26 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filippo A. Salustri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Filippo,

"Filippo A. Salustri" <salustri@ryerson.ca> writes:

> yeah, right, make me feel even dumber....
> ...wait, let me just wipe the egg off my face....  :-)

Well, the real "problem" here is that the community is so prompt to
reply that it doesn't encourage people not to be lazy :)

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: a question about fontification and org-emphasis-alist
@ 2011-02-26 16:42           ` Filippo A. Salustri
From: Filippo A. Salustri @ 2011-02-26 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I wish all the groups I was involved with suffered this "problem." :-)
Cheers.
Fil

--

@ 2011-02-26 21:11       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-02-26 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Filippo A. Salustri, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:11:16 -0500
Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> This is with hindsight 20/20 but here is a method for finding such
> things, using only emacs: C-h v org-<TAB> then switch to the
> *Completions* buffer and search for ``emphasis''. The third hit is
> org-hide-emphasis-markers - and you don't have to guess the "hide"
> part...

With Emacs 23 and above, one can also do:

C-h v org--emphasis<TAB>

to match org-*emphasis* and shorten the list. ;)

--
Suvayu

* Re: a question about fontification and org-emphasis-alist
@ 2011-02-28  1:06         ` Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2011-02-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> C-h v org--emphasis<TAB>

But how do you know how many dashes to put?

I'd use apropos-variable (show variables matching pattern: WORDS or regexp).
I bind that to C-h C-v and use it often.

All apropos* functions are very useful, learn them