* [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
@ 2011-02-24 11:59 Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2011-02-24 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I want to manage some perl regexps in a table
then feed them to a code block (literate programming).
Unfortunately they include alternatives (|)
and the table editor thinks this is a column break.

There's no way to escape this?

On a related thought: what is the best way to manage
leading/trailing spaces in a table cell?
I've been forced to use \x20 for this purpose...

* Re: [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
@ 2011-03-03 11:00 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-03 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Alexiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Alexiev <vladimir@sirma.bg> writes:

> I want to manage some perl regexps in a table
> then feed them to a code block (literate programming).
> Unfortunately they include alternatives (|)
> and the table editor thinks this is a column break.
>
> There's no way to escape this?

AFAIK, there is not.

> On a related thought: what is the best way to manage
> leading/trailing spaces in a table cell?
> I've been forced to use \x20 for this purpose...

This i don't understand -- you want to *keep* the spaces
in the exported table?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
@ 2011-03-03 16:00   ` Camille persson
From: Camille persson @ 2011-03-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Alexiev, Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Vladimir and Bastien,

2011/3/3 Bastien <bzg@altern.org>

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> Vladimir Alexiev <vladimir@sirma.bg> writes:
>
> > I want to manage some perl regexps in a table
> > then feed them to a code block (literate programming).
> > Unfortunately they include alternatives (|)
> > and the table editor thinks this is a column break.
> >
> > There's no way to escape this?
>
> AFAIK, there is not.

Shouldn't your perl regexp be in a formula - ie. not directly in the table ?

Camille

@ 2011-03-07  8:16   ` Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2011-03-07  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> > what is the best way to manage
> > leading/trailing spaces in a table cell?
> This i don't understand -- you want to *keep* the spaces
> in the exported table?

Not all spaces, but some spaces some of the time is needed.

The recent patch to org-babel-read by Erik Schulte makes this possible. See second sentence below:

If a value starts with one of ('` it is read as an emacs lisp sexp.
If it starts with " then it's read as a quoted string: start/end quotes are stripped, \" and \\ are unescaped
   (this is useful for embedding leading/trailing whitespace in strings).
If it looks like a number, it's read as a number.
Else it's read as a literal string, without any quotation or escaping.
(Please note that | in tables is always interpreted as column separator and currently there is no way to quote it)

* Re: RE: [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
@ 2011-03-07  8:29     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-07  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vladimir; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Vladimir Alexiev" <vladimir@sirma.bg> writes:

>> > what is the best way to manage
>> > leading/trailing spaces in a table cell?
>> This i don't understand -- you want to *keep* the spaces
>> in the exported table?
>
> Not all spaces, but some spaces some of the time is needed.
>
> The recent patch to org-babel-read by Erik Schulte makes this
> possible.

Good, thanks for letting us know!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [HOW] no way to escape vertical bar (pipe char) in tables?
@ 2011-03-07 15:47 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-03-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Alexiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Alexiev <vladimir@sirma.bg> writes:

> I want to manage some perl regexps in a table
> then feed them to a code block (literate programming).
> Unfortunately they include alternatives (|)
> and the table editor thinks this is a column break.
>
> There's no way to escape this?

Using a different character (namely ¦) the following should work

#+source: clean
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var in=""
  (flet ((clean (in)
                (if (listp in)
                    (mapcar #'clean in)
                  (if (stringp in)
                      (replace-regexp-in-string "¦" "|" in)
                    in))))
    (clean in))
#+end_src

#+results: regexps
| first  | (a¦b) |
| second | (1¦2) |

#+begin_src perl :var a=clean(in=regexps)[0,1] :var b=clean(in=regexps)[1,1]
  $a; $b;
#+end_src

#+results:
: (1|2)