* Babel: replace inline block with evaluation result?
@ 2011-01-13 19:50 Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2011-01-13 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have an org-mode document that uses a lot of R code (via babel). I have found
that using inline code blocks, ie src_R{...}, within org tables works
"erratically", often either causing emacs to hang during latex export, or
producing a table where random cells containing 'nil' instead of the result I
get when I manually evaluate the inline code block via C-c C-c.

I am therefore in the process of converting many of these tables back to 'plain'
org, ie replacing the inline code blocks with their results.

My question is: is there any way to automate this? Ideally I would like to press
a key with the cursor on an inline block, and have the block replaced with its
eval result, rather than have the result appear in the minibuffer.

Paul

* Re: Babel: replace inline block with evaluation result?
@ 2011-01-13 21:21 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-01-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> writes:

> I have an org-mode document that uses a lot of R code (via babel). I have found
> that using inline code blocks, ie src_R{...}, within org tables works
> "erratically", often either causing emacs to hang during latex export, or
> producing a table where random cells containing 'nil' instead of the result I
> get when I manually evaluate the inline code block via C-c C-c.

If you can find a minimal example which reliably reproduces this error
please do share it on the list so we can try to put together a fix.

> I am therefore in the process of converting many of these tables back to 'plain'
> org, ie replacing the inline code blocks with their results.

I guess the only other option may be to create the entire table from a
code block, which is probably not practical.

> My question is: is there any way to automate this? Ideally I would like to press
> a key with the cursor on an inline block, and have the block replaced with its
> eval result, rather than have the result appear in the minibuffer.

The following function could be bound to a key, and should do the job if
called with the point on the src_lang portion of the inline code block.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun replace-inline-block ()
    (interactive)
    (if (save-excursion (re-search-backward "[ \f\t\n\r\v]" nil t)
                        (looking-at org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp))
        (replace-match
         ((lambda (el) (if (stringp el) el (format "%S" el)))
          (org-babel-execute-src-block)) nil nil nil 1)
      (error "not inside of an inline source block.")))
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2011-01-13 22:38   ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2011-01-13 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The following function could be bound to a key, and should do the job if
> called with the point on the src_lang portion of the inline code block.

[snip - gmane web-thingy won't let me quote the function]

Thanks Eric!

I will try to come up with a minimal example of the error I talked
about.
Paul