* Bug report: filing into a date tree in year 2011 when 2010 exists in file
@ 2010-12-31 21:59 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-12-31 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Happy New Year!

This morning I filed a note into my taskdiary file which is
a date tree file. The top level headlines are:

* Configuration
* Calendar
* 2010

When I filed a new note (date is 1st January 2011) I expected a new
top level heading of * 2011 to be created but it wasn't.
Instead, the note was  filed inside the 2010 hierarchy.

I created the * 2011 heading after the 2010 tree but the problem
still occurred,  so I moved the 2011 heading before the 2010 and the
capturing now works. This is a  reasonable workaround, but I did
expect a new top level heading to be created.

Date trees should be capable of storing multiple years.

Charles

* Re: Bug report: filing into a date tree in year 2011 when 2010 exists in file
@ 2011-01-01  7:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-01  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Charles,

On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:59 PM, Charles Cave wrote:

> Happy New Year!
>
> This morning I filed a note into my taskdiary file which is
> a date tree file. The top level headlines are:
>
> * Configuration
> * Calendar
> * 2010
>
> When I filed a new note (date is 1st January 2011) I expected a new
> top level heading of * 2011 to be created but it wasn't.
> Instead, the note was  filed inside the 2010 hierarchy.

Strange, for me this worked without any problems this morning.

- Carsten

@ 2011-01-01  9:27   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-01-01  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Dec 31, 2010, at 10:59 PM, Charles Cave wrote:
>
>> Happy New Year!
>>
>> This morning I filed a note into my taskdiary file which is
>> a date tree file. The top level headlines are:
>>
>> * Configuration
>> * Calendar
>> * 2010
>>
>> When I filed a new note (date is 1st January 2011) I expected a new
>> top level heading of * 2011 to be created but it wasn't.
>> Instead, the note was filed inside the 2010 hierarchy.
>
> Strange, for me this worked without any problems this morning.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> I created the * 2011 heading after the 2010 tree but the problem
>> still occurred, so I moved the 2011 heading before the 2010 and the
>> capturing now works. This is a reasonable workaround, but I did
>> expect a new top level heading to be created.
>>
>> Date trees should be capable of storing multiple years.

Happy New Year everyone. I just tried with my notes file and the 2011
heading was created correctly for me.

Ian.

* Re: Bug report: filing into a date tree in year 2011 when 2010 exists in file
@ 2011-01-04  3:48   ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2011-01-04  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Strange, for me this worked without any problems this morning.

I have found that the new year was created in other files but it definitely
misbehaves in my taskdiary.org file.

I can only assume there is a pattern of characters that fools the algorithm
for locating the headline

I did another test and this is what the sparse tree looks like:

* 2010
  :PROPERTIES: ...
    * 2010-10 October...
    * 2010-11 November...
    * 2011-01 January
     * Testing
  Added [2011-01-04 Tue 14:45]

I will keep checking the data and see if I can locate the offending text.
It is annoying to see the years out of sequence

Charles

http://twitter.com/#!/ozcaveman

* Re: Re: Bug report: filing into a date tree in year 2011 when 2010 exists in file
@ 2011-01-04  6:24     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-04  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What would be helpful is a minimal file that, as a date-tree target,
reproduces the issue.  I am sure the problem could then easily be found.

- Carsten

@ 2011-01-04  7:07       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-01-04  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Cave

On Jan 4, 2011, at 7:24 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> What would be helpful is a minimal file that, as a date-tree target,
> reproduces the issue.  I am sure the problem could then easily be
> found.

If you want to follow the procedure yourself, do

M-x debug-on-entry RET org-datetree-find-year-create RET

and then step through the function and try to understand why
it identified the 2010 tree as a match.

- Carsten