* mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-15 22:18 Rodney Price
From: Rodney Price @ 2010-10-15 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been trying to get MobileOrg set up with Dropbox, and I seem to
have done something to make it impossible for MobileOrg to sync.
Whenever I try, I get an error message like,

Unexpected error: error getting mobileorg.org

(paraphrased somewhat)

It was syncing fine at one point, but then I decided to move my ~/org
directory into the Dropbox directory, and MobileOrg evidently didn't
like the change.

How do I get the MobileOrg app (on an iPod Touch) to start up again?

Thanks,
-Rod

* Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-15 23:21 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodney Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rodney Price <rodprice@raytheon.com> writes:

> I've been trying to get MobileOrg set up with Dropbox, and I seem to
> have done something to make it impossible for MobileOrg to sync.
> Whenever I try, I get an error message like,
>
> Unexpected error: error getting mobileorg.org
>
> (paraphrased somewhat)
>
> It was syncing fine at one point, but then I decided to move my ~/org
> directory into the Dropbox directory, and MobileOrg evidently didn't
> like the change.
>
> How do I get the MobileOrg app (on an iPod Touch) to start up again?

I have not used dropbox, but the directory with your org files and the
place in webdav that is your MobileOrg staging area are conceptually
separate.  You still have to org-mobile-push even if org-directory is
someplace in dav space.

To let someone debug this, you'll have to post your entire relevant
config, including setting of org-mobile-directory, org-directory, and
the URL you put in MobileOrg.

(I have mobileorg syncing fine, from two instances (production and beta
builds), one where I have a separate DAV dir accessed via the local
filesystem, and one which is accessed on a remote server via tramp/ssh)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-21 17:44   ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2010-10-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greg Troxel <gdt <at> ir.bbn.com> writes:

> Rodney Price <rodprice <at> raytheon.com> writes:
>
> > I've been trying to get MobileOrg set up with Dropbox, and I seem to
> > have done something to make it impossible for MobileOrg to sync.
> > Whenever I try, I get an error message like,
> >
> > Unexpected error: error getting mobileorg.org
> >
> > (paraphrased somewhat)
> >
> > It was syncing fine at one point, but then I decided to move my ~/org
> > directory into the Dropbox directory, and MobileOrg evidently didn't
> > like the change.
> >
> > How do I get the MobileOrg app (on an iPod Touch) to start up again?

I have same same error. The steps I took are as follows;

- Downloaded MobilOrg app for iPhone.
- Created an account on Dropbox.
- Linked Mobilorg to Dropbox account.
- Created test entry in Mobilorg.
- Attempted to sync.

Error returned "Error syncing changes. An error was encountered while attempting
to fetch mobileorg.org from the server. The error was: Unexpected error"

On my Dropbox account, I see:

MobileOrg\.dropbox

-Luke

> I have not used dropbox, but the directory with your org files and the
> place in webdav that is your MobileOrg staging area are conceptually
> separate.  You still have to org-mobile-push even if org-directory is
> someplace in dav space.
>
> To let someone debug this, you'll have to post your entire relevant
> config, including setting of org-mobile-directory, org-directory, and
> the URL you put in MobileOrg.
>
> (I have mobileorg syncing fine, from two instances (production and beta
> builds), one where I have a separate DAV dir accessed via the local
> filesystem, and one which is accessed on a remote server via tramp/ssh)

* Re: Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-21 18:17     ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-10-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Crook; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have same same error. The steps I took are as follows;
>
> - Downloaded MobilOrg app for iPhone.
> - Created an account on Dropbox.
> - Linked Mobilorg to Dropbox account.
> - Created test entry in Mobilorg.
> - Attempted to sync.
>
> Error returned "Error syncing changes. An error was encountered while attempting
> to fetch mobileorg.org from the server. The error was: Unexpected error"
>
> On my Dropbox account, I see:
>
> MobileOrg\.dropbox

But you need to run org-mobile-push from Emacs, and set any
variables it relies on.  I forget which, but they are in the
manual.

* Re: Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-21 18:56       ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2010-10-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

>> I have same same error. The steps I took are as follows;
>>
>> - Downloaded MobilOrg app for iPhone.
>> - Created an account on Dropbox.
>> - Linked Mobilorg to Dropbox account.
>> - Created test entry in Mobilorg.
>> - Attempted to sync.
>>
>> Error returned "Error syncing changes. An error was encountered while
>> attempting to fetch mobileorg.org from the server. The error was:
>> Unexpected error"
>>
>> On my Dropbox account, I see:
>>
>> MobileOrg\.dropbox
>>

> But you need to run org-mobile-push from Emacs, and set any
> variables it relies on.  I forget which, but they are in the
> manual.

Ah, so I have to have an existing org-mobile-push'ified ".org" file in
Dropbox prior to syncing? I don't think this is really made clear in the
instructions. I didn't know that there was an org-mobile-push dependency
between Emacs and Mobileorg. I had the impression that Mobilorg could be
used stand-alone.

I'll try this and report back.

-Luke

* Re: Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-10-21 19:02         ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-10-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Crook; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luke Crook wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu
> <mailto:eriki@ccbr.umn.edu>> wrote:
>

>         I have same same error. The steps I took are as follows;
>
>         - Downloaded MobilOrg app for iPhone.
>         - Created an account on Dropbox.
>         - Linked Mobilorg to Dropbox account.
>         - Created test entry in Mobilorg.
>         - Attempted to sync.
>
>         Error returned "Error syncing changes. An error was encountered
>         while attempting to fetch mobileorg.org <http://mobileorg.org>
>         from the server. The error was: Unexpected error"
>
>         On my Dropbox account, I see:
>
>         MobileOrg\.dropbox
>

>     But you need to run org-mobile-push from Emacs, and set any
>     variables it relies on.  I forget which, but they are in the
>     manual.
>

> Ah, so I have to have an existing org-mobile-push'ified ".org" file in
> Dropbox prior to syncing? I don't think this is really made clear in the
> instructions. I didn't know that there was an org-mobile-push dependency
> between Emacs and Mobileorg. I had the impression that Mobilorg could be
> used stand-alone.

No, I don't think so.  That's why the instructions talk about the
'staging area'.

So my system is: I have my 'real' orgmode files in Dropbox, but
not in my MobileOrg directory.  I then have a command in Emacs
that when I press C-c g, my .org files are committed to git, and
org-mobile-push is called to copy them to the dropbox/MobileOrg
directory.  I then can sync from the ipod and have them there.

I can make changes on the device, marking items as done and taking
notes.

When I come back to my desk, I use a command bound to C-c p to
call org-mobile-pull.  I also have auto-revert-mode enabled for
org files, so all changes simply appear on screen in my org
files.

> I'll try this and report back.
>
> -Luke

* Re: mobileorg app can't sync
@ 2010-11-29  9:24         ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2010-11-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Luke Crook <luke <at> balooga.com> writes:

> I'll try this and report back.

I started over. Followed the instructions at http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/ and
everything works.

Thanks,