* parsing formatted text
@ 2010-10-29  7:50 Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-10-29  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have written an elisp program to generate an ATOM feed from an
org-mode file.  I want to generate appropiate HTML from fromatted text
(such as *bold* and /italic/).  Since it does not use org's export
module (for which this isn't really appropriate anyway), I have no
idea if there is any way I can use existing org functions to parse a
paragraph to recognise formatted text so I can process it
appropriately, or if I must write my own parsing code.  Can any of the
more experienced org-mode hackers offer any advice?

Thanks,
Aidan Gauland

* Re: parsing formatted text
@ 2010-10-29  8:19 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Aidan,

You could pass the text through the `org-export-string' function to
generate a string of HTML from a string of Org markup.

e.g.

  (org-export-string "plain plain *bold* plain" "html")

returns the following string

-- Eric

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have written an elisp program to generate an ATOM feed from an
> org-mode file.  I want to generate appropiate HTML from fromatted text
> (such as *bold* and /italic/).  Since it does not use org's export
> module (for which this isn't really appropriate anyway), I have no
> idea if there is any way I can use existing org functions to parse a
> paragraph to recognise formatted text so I can process it
> appropriately, or if I must write my own parsing code.  Can any of the
> more experienced org-mode hackers offer any advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Aidan Gauland

* Re: parsing formatted text
@ 2010-10-29  8:58   ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-10-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
> You could pass the text through the `org-export-string' function to
> generate a string of HTML from a string of Org markup.
>
> e.g.
>
>   (org-export-string "plain plain *bold* plain" "html")
>
> returns the following string

Thanks!  That's just what I was looking for!

--Aidan

* Re: parsing formatted text
@ 2010-10-29 19:59   ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-10-29 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
> You could pass the text through the `org-export-string' function to
> generate a string of HTML from a string of Org markup.
>
> e.g.
>
>   (org-export-string "plain plain *bold* plain" "html")
>
> returns the following string

Actually, now that I've tried that, I'm getting prompted for a
filename when I evaluate that.

Evaluating (org-export-string "plain plain *bold* plain" "html")
prompts me (in the minibuffer) with...

File to save in: /tmp/

I can't see any obvious s-exp in the definition of org-export-string
that would be bringing up the prompt.  Aside from the prompt, this
function is exactly what I want.  Any idea how I could get rid of the
prompt so I can run the function non-interactively?

--Aidan