* Unbillable clock time
@ 2010-10-22 20:05 Ross Patterson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ross Patterson @ 2010-10-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to be able to designate some of my clock time as unbillable
such that when using a clockreport the unbillable time is not included.
I would also like to compare billable and unbillable time if possible.

Currently I either manually change "CLOCK: *" to "UNBILLABLE: *"
preserving history but it's kind of messy or I just delete the time
altogether, losing history.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?  If not, may I request this
feature.  :-) Many time-keeping systems have a "billable" flag for
entries.

Ross

* Re: Unbillable clock time
@ 2010-10-22 22:30 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-22 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> I would like to be able to designate some of my clock time as unbillable
> such that when using a clockreport the unbillable time is not included.
> I would also like to compare billable and unbillable time if possible.
>
> Currently I either manually change "CLOCK: *" to "UNBILLABLE: *"
> preserving history but it's kind of messy or I just delete the time
> altogether, losing history.
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish this?  If not, may I request this
> feature.  :-) Many time-keeping systems have a "billable" flag for
> entries.

Hi Ross,

I just clock everything.  You can make a level 1 heading of * Billable
and * Non-Billable and create tasks under that to clock.

Then your clock reports will show summaries and the
Billable/Non-Billable stuff should be obvious.

Alternatively you can keep separate project files for Billable and
non-Billable.  I've used both approaches in the past.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Unbillable clock time
@ 2010-10-25  8:39   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-10-25  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Ross Patterson <me-5WM5oVD3klEBe96aLqz0jA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> I would like to be able to designate some of my clock time as unbillable
>> such that when using a clockreport the unbillable time is not included. I
>> would also like to compare billable and unbillable time if possible.
>>
>> Currently I either manually change "CLOCK: *" to "UNBILLABLE: *" preserving
>> history but it's kind of messy or I just delete the time altogether, losing
>> history.
>>
>> Is there a better way to accomplish this? If not, may I request this
>> feature. :-) Many time-keeping systems have a "billable" flag for entries.

I also have that same "problem", though marginally (because of the ratio
billed/unbilled in my case).

> I just clock everything. You can make a level 1 heading of * Billable and *
> Non-Billable and create tasks under that to clock.
>
> Then your clock reports will show summaries and the Billable/Non-Billable
> stuff should be obvious.
>
> Alternatively you can keep separate project files for Billable and
> non-Billable. I've used both approaches in the past.

The problem is, sometimes, what's billable and what's not is know afterward.
You can refile, then, yes, but it "completely" changes the structure of your
docs.

I'd like the idea of a property, or some other way to make that explicit
without having to move stuff around.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Unbillable clock time
@ 2010-10-28 21:08 ` Adam Elliott
From: Adam Elliott @ 2010-10-28 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ross Patterson <me <at> rpatterson.net> writes:

> I would like to be able to designate some of my clock time as unbillable
> such that when using a clockreport the unbillable time is not included.
> I would also like to compare billable and unbillable time if possible.

Back in March I submitted a patch to satisfy my own need for just such a
feature, as described here:

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c4B838024.8000006%40hgn.ca%3e

You can tag your unbillable items and exclude them from your clock report, on a
headline by headline basis.  You could also generate a separate report
containing just the unbillable headlines for comparison.

Adam

* Re: Unbillable clock time
@ 2011-02-03 13:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Patterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ross,

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> I would like to be able to designate some of my clock time as unbillable
> such that when using a clockreport the unbillable time is not included.
> I would also like to compare billable and unbillable time if possible.
>
> Currently I either manually change "CLOCK: *" to "UNBILLABLE: *"
> preserving history but it's kind of messy or I just delete the time
> altogether, losing history.
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish this?

On top of what Sébastien and Bernt already suggested, you might want to
have a look at the :tags option for clockreports, it can help filtering
through the entries you want to see in the clockreport.

HTH,

--
 Bastien