* [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-25 14:42 zwz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: zwz @ 2010-08-25 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I came across Ian Yang's [[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/org-export-blocks-format-plantuml.el][org-export-blocks-format-plantuml]] a few days ago, which brought me in front of the
great software [[http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/][Plantuml]]. It is an open-source tool in java that allows to quickly write:
    - sequence diagram,
    - use case diagram,
    - class diagram,
    - activity diagram,
    - component diagram,
    - state diagram
    - object diagram

using a simple and intuitive language.

Although Ian Yang's code has incorporated plantuml in org-mode by =#+BEGIN_UML= and =#+END_UML=, I think it
should be a good idea to introduce the plantuml as a new language into org-babel.

Here is the "ob-plantuml.el":

[-- Attachment #2: ob-plantuml.el --]

I am not sure if it is qualified to be part of org-babel, so I just put
it here first.

In addition, I also wrote a new major mode “plantuml-mode.el” which
provides preliminary font-lock function for plantuml scripts, see http://zhangweize.wordpress.com/.

* Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-25 18:25 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-08-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I agree plantuml certainly makes sense as a new code block type.  I'd
like to include your ob-plantuml.el file into Org-mode/Babel, would you
be willing to complete the FSF assignment process for contributing to
Org-mode as described at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php?

Thanks! -- Eric

@ 2010-08-26  1:44 ` Mike Gauland
From: Mike Gauland @ 2010-08-26  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This looks very useful, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. Do you have
an example?

I tried this:
    #+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file uml.png
    Alice -> Bob: Authentication Request
    Bob --> Alice: Authentication Response

    Alice -> Bob: Another authentication Request
    Alice <-- Bob: another authentication Response
    #+END_SRC

If I also change '<at> enduml' to '@uml' in this line:
     (with-temp-file in-file (insert (concat "@startuml\n" body "\n <at> enduml")))

I can get an image if I evaluate the block manually (e.g., via 'C-c C-c' with
the cursor on the BEGIN block), but when I export the file the image is invalid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

* Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26  2:47   ` Mike Gauland
From: Mike Gauland @ 2010-08-26  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mike Gauland <mikelygee <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I can get an image if I evaluate the block manually (e.g., via 'C-c C-c' with
> the cursor on the BEGIN block), but when I export the file the image is
> invalid.

I figured it out.  I was getting extra carriage returns in the file. I've fixed
them by setting "coding-system-for-write" to 'no-conversion within the (let).

--Mike

* Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26 14:23     ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-08-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Mike Gauland <mikelygee@gmail.com> writes:

> Mike Gauland <mikelygee <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I can get an image if I evaluate the block manually (e.g., via 'C-c
> C-c' with
>> the cursor on the BEGIN block), but when I export the file the image
> is
>> invalid.
>
> I figured it out. I was getting extra carriage returns in the file. I've
> fixed
> them by setting "coding-system-for-write" to 'no-conversion within the
> (let).
>
> --Mike

I also encountered the same problem. But it seems not work perfectly by
letting "coding-system-for-write" be 'no-conversion. For example:
In my "test.org"

* test

#+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file test.png
Alice -> Bob: Authentication Request
Bob --> Alice: Authentication Response
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file test2.png
Alice2 -> Bob: Authentication Request
Bob --> Alice: Authentication Response
#+END_SRC

C-c C-c on the second src block does not create a right image.

So here is a new version of "ob-plantuml.el", which utilizes the io
redirection in shell directly.

Hope that it addresses the problem.

[-- Attachment #2: ob-plantuml.el --]

* Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26 14:26   ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-08-26 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I agree plantuml certainly makes sense as a new code block type.  I'd
> like to include your ob-plantuml.el file into Org-mode/Babel, would you
> be willing to complete the FSF assignment process for contributing to
> Org-mode as described at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php?
>
> Thanks! -- Eric

Yes, I am glad to.
And I just fill the form and send it.

* Re: Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26 15:00     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-08-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

plantuml looks great - and it could save me quite a bit of work!

Could you announce on the list as soon as it is uploaded to git so that
I could try it?

Cheers,

Rainer

On 26/08/10 16:26, zwz wrote:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree plantuml certainly makes sense as a new code block type.  I'd
>> like to include your ob-plantuml.el file into Org-mode/Babel, would you
>> be willing to complete the FSF assignment process for contributing to
>> Org-mode as described at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php?
>>
>> Thanks! -- Eric
>>
> Yes, I am glad to.
> And I just fill the form and send it.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Tel:        +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +27 - (0)8 39 47 90 42
Fax (SA):   +27 - (0)8 65 16 27 82
Fax (D) :   +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44
Fax (FR):   +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44
email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26 15:39     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-08-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zwz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree plantuml certainly makes sense as a new code block type.  I'd
>> like to include your ob-plantuml.el file into Org-mode/Babel, would you
>> be willing to complete the FSF assignment process for contributing to
>> Org-mode as described at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php?
>>
>> Thanks! -- Eric
>>
> Yes, I am glad to.
> And I just fill the form and send it.

Great!

Please do send in the form and then keep me and Carsten posted of the
progress of your FSF assignment so that we can add you to the Org-mode
contributors list when it's complete.

I've just added ob-plantuml.el to Org-mode and pushed it up to the git
repository.  It's now part of `org-babel-load-languages' so it can be
activated just like any other language, the only other configuration
required is to set the value of `org-plantuml-jar-path' to point to the
plantuml.jar file.

I just tried this out myself and it works wonderfully.

Thanks! -- Eric

* Re: Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-26 17:34       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-08-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R.M.Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> plantuml looks great - and it could save me quite a bit of work!
>
> Could you announce on the list as soon as it is uploaded to git so that
> I could try it?

This is now in the Org repository.  For setup and usage information see
http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/DONE-integrate-plantuml-support.html

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-08-27  8:26         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-08-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 26/08/10 19:34, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> plantuml looks great - and it could save me quite a bit of work!
>>
>> Could you announce on the list as soon as it is uploaded to git so that
>> I could try it?
>>

> This is now in the Org repository.  For setup and usage information see
> http://eschulte.github.com/babel-dev/DONE-integrate-plantuml-support.html

Thanks a lot - I'll try it out.

Rainer

@ 2010-08-27 11:33       ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2010-08-27 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I agree plantuml certainly makes sense as a new code block type. I'd
>>> like to include your ob-plantuml.el file into Org-mode/Babel, would
> you
>>> be willing to complete the FSF assignment process for contributing to
>>> Org-mode as described at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.php?
>>>
>>> Thanks! -- Eric
>>>
>> Yes, I am glad to.
>> And I just fill the form and send it.
>>

> Great!
>
> Please do send in the form and then keep me and Carsten posted of the
> progress of your FSF assignment so that we can add you to the Org-mode
> contributors list when it's complete.
>
> I've just added ob-plantuml.el to Org-mode and pushed it up to the git
> repository.  It's now part of `org-babel-load-languages' so it can be
> activated just like any other language, the only other configuration
> required is to set the value of `org-plantuml-jar-path' to point to the
> plantuml.jar file.
>
> I just tried this out myself and it works wonderfully.
>
> Thanks! -- Eric

Thank you, Eric.
Org-babel is great.
I use it a lot. And I am happy to give something back. :)

* Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-29 23:02 ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2010-08-29 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've run into a minor problem using this under Microsoft Windows. One of my
machines puts a space in the temporary folder path, which causes the redirection
to fail.  I've fixed it locally by applying shell-quote-argument to in-file and
out-file in org-bable-execute:plantuml.

--Mike

* Re: Re: [babel] support plantuml
@ 2010-08-30  1:34   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-08-30  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for pointing this out, I've just applied this fix. -- Eric