* Problem with named footnotes and LaTeX export?
@ 2010-08-12 15:56 Kai
From: Kai @ 2010-08-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

First, thank you to all Org-mode contributors, it is a marvelous
productivity tool and truly lives up to its motto of managing life in
plain text.

Now on to a possible bug. :)  I have noticed that when I include named
footnotes within an unordered list, the LaTeX exported file has
problems, and mixes in the text (after the first word) of a named
footnote directly within the text of the unordered list item.  Named
footnotes that are in ordered lists are exported without a problem.

This bug may be the same one that was described in this message, though
the OP didn't provide follow-up information:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23637/
...also, I think the problem does not happen with numbered footnotes in
unordered lists, as the single response message by Matt Lundin showed.

I'm using a current (git-pulled as of this morning) version of Org-mode,
with Emacs 23.2.50.  An example .org file to test (and hopefully
reproduce) the problem is included below; the problem can be seen by
doing an export to LaTeX (with optional view in PDF).

Thanks in advance for any help/debugging,

Kai

Test Orgmode's Handling of Named Footnotes

* Intro
This is the opening paragraph, without much to say at the moment.  But
forsooth, let us praise Lisp.

* A Bit About John McCarthy
- Lisp was created and designed by John McCarthy.[fn:Lisp_origin]
- McCarthy's first publication on Lisp was "Recursive Functions of
   Symbolic Expressions and Their Computation by Machine (Part
   I)."[fn:First_Lisp_paper]

* Lisp's Amazingness
1. What's amazing about Lisp is how small the core language is; it's
   the computing equivalent of Maxwell's equations! Originally McCarthy
   described just seven functions and two special forms:
   - atom, car, cdr, cond, cons, eq, quote, lambda, label
2. 50 years on, other programming languages are finally beginning to
    approach Lisp's power and generality.[fn:Graham_on_Lisp]

* Footnotes
[fn:Lisp_origin] See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language) for a brief
historic overview.

[fn:First_Lisp_paper] See
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/recursive.html for versions of this
landmark paper.

[fn:Graham_on_Lisp] See Paul Graham's Lisp articles at
http://www.paulgraham.com/lisp.html

* Re: Problem with named footnotes and LaTeX export?
@ 2010-08-12 16:21 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2010-08-12 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> Hi,

> First, thank you to all Org-mode contributors, it is a marvelous
> productivity tool and truly lives up to its motto of managing life in
> plain text.

> Now on to a possible bug. :)  I have noticed that when I include named
> footnotes within an unordered list, the LaTeX exported file has
> problems, and mixes in the text (after the first word) of a named
> footnote directly within the text of the unordered list item.  Named
> footnotes that are in ordered lists are exported without a problem.

> This bug may be the same one that was described in this message,
> though the OP didn't provide follow-up information:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23637/
> ...also, I think the problem does not happen with numbered footnotes
> in unordered lists, as the single response message by Matt Lundin
> showed.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but this bug should already be fixed
in my list improvement branch. Could you confirm it?

There's one problem left though: underscores in first URL are
interpreted as math text, producing strange results.

Regards,

-- Nicolas

* Re: Problem with named footnotes and LaTeX export?
@ 2010-08-12 19:31   ` Kai
From: Kai @ 2010-08-12 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Now on to a possible bug. :)  I have noticed that when I include named
> > footnotes within an unordered list, the LaTeX exported file has
> > problems, and mixes in the text (after the first word) of a named
> > footnote directly within the text of the unordered list item.  Named
> > footnotes that are in ordered lists are exported without a problem.
>
> > This bug may be the same one that was described in this message,
> > though the OP didn't provide follow-up information:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23637/
> > ...also, I think the problem does not happen with numbered footnotes
> > in unordered lists, as the single response message by Matt Lundin
> > showed.
>
> I don't want to sound arrogant, but this bug should already be fixed
> in my list improvement branch. Could you confirm it?
>
> There's one problem left though: underscores in first URL are
> interpreted as math text, producing strange results.
>
> Regards,

Thanks for the fast response.  Yes, the bug is fixed in your list improvement
branch, thank you.  When will those improvements be merged to trunk/master?

And yes, Nicolas has spotted a new bug from my example, caused by parenthesized
underscores in hyperlinks that are interpreted incorrectly.

* Re: Re: Problem with named footnotes and LaTeX export?
@ 2010-08-13 11:56     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-13 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 12, 2010, at 9:31 PM, Kai wrote:

> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>> Now on to a possible bug. :)  I have noticed that when I include
>>> named
>>> footnotes within an unordered list, the LaTeX exported file has
>>> problems, and mixes in the text (after the first word) of a named
>>> footnote directly within the text of the unordered list item.  Named
>>> footnotes that are in ordered lists are exported without a problem.
>>
>>> This bug may be the same one that was described in this message,
>>> though the OP didn't provide follow-up information:
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/23637/
>>> ...also, I think the problem does not happen with numbered footnotes
>>> in unordered lists, as the single response message by Matt Lundin
>>> showed.
>>
>> I don't want to sound arrogant, but this bug should already be fixed
>> in my list improvement branch. Could you confirm it?

>> There's one problem left though: underscores in first URL are
>> interpreted as math text, producing strange results.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Thanks for the fast response.  Yes, the bug is fixed in your list
> improvement
> branch, thank you.  When will those improvements be merged to trunk/
> master?

If some people get this branch and test it *extensively*, and report
back here,
then it will happen sooner.

- Carsten