* Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 12:41 andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-09-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Maybe it's a simple answer, but I haven't seen it in the manual.

Is there a possibility to insert code like

#+BEGIN_SRC python
print hello
#+END_SRC

which when exported gets substituted to what returned by the result
of the code execution??

I think that I maybe need to customize the function in publishing
variables, is that right?

And another thing, is there an easy way to include a file like
\include or \input in latex??
THanks all

* Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 13:48 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2009-09-11 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:41:24 +0000 (UTC)
andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> And another thing, is there an easy way to include a file like
> \include or \input in latex??

Yes, you can
#+INCLUDE:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Include-files.html#Include-files

detlef

* Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 15:04   ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-09-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer <steuer <at> unibwh.de> writes:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:41:24 +0000 (UTC)
> andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And another thing, is there an easy way to include a file like
> > \include or \input in latex??
>
> Yes, you can
> #+INCLUDE:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Include-files.html#Include-files

Mmm why it's not in my info manual?
I also upgraded to latest 6.30e but it's not there, strange..
Thanks anyway

So no ways to execute arbitrary code only at certain conditions and
include it?

* Re: Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 15:53     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-09-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Detlef Steuer <steuer <at> unibwh.de> writes:
>

> > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:41:24 +0000 (UTC)
> > andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > And another thing, is there an easy way to include a file like
> > > \include or \input in latex??
> >
> > Yes, you can
> > #+INCLUDE:
> >
> > http://orgmode.org/manual/Include-files.html#Include-files
> >
> Mmm why it's not in my info manual?
> I also upgraded to latest 6.30e but it's not there, strange..
> Thanks anyway

My info manual says 6.29c and #+INCLUDE is present and accounted for.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 16:54       ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-09-11 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:

> My info manual says 6.29c and #+INCLUDE is present and accounted for.

My fault I didn't add the path to the info list, I was
looking in the old info manual..

Thinking about code execution I think it should be possible,
the spreadsheet does that in some ways..

* Re: Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 17:57         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-11 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
>

>> My info manual says 6.29c and #+INCLUDE is present and accounted for.
>>
> My fault I didn't add the path to the info list, I was
> looking in the old info manual..
>
> Thinking about code execution I think it should be possible,
> the spreadsheet does that in some ways..

See:
  http://eschulte.github.com/org-babel/

Sebastian

* Re: Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-11 20:34           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea Crotti

On Sep 11, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
>>

>>> My info manual says 6.29c and #+INCLUDE is present and accounted
>>> for.
>>>
>> My fault I didn't add the path to the info list, I was
>> looking in the old info manual..
>>
>> Thinking about code execution I think it should be possible,
>> the spreadsheet does that in some ways..
>

> See:
>  http://eschulte.github.com/org-babel/

or, for a lighter solution

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob_plain;f=contrib/lisp/org-eval.el;hb=HEAD

or

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-eval-light.php

But org-babel may really be the way to go.

- Carsten

* Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-12 17:38             ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-09-12 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> or, for a lighter solution
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob_plain;f=contrib/lisp/org-eval.el;hb=HEAD
>
> or
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-eval-light.php
>
> But org-babel may really be the way to go.
>
> - Carsten

org-babel is really nice I think, there's only one thing I don't understand yet.
If I want in the same file to have the source code and the output of the
source code how should I do??

Once I enable org-babel it executes everything before exporting??
No finer settings possible?

* Re: Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-12 18:20               ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-09-12 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> or, for a lighter solution
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob_plain;f=contrib/lisp/org-eval.el;hb=HEAD
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-eval-light.php
>>
>> But org-babel may really be the way to go.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> org-babel is really nice I think, there's only one thing I don't understand yet.
> If I want in the same file to have the source code and the output of the
> source code how should I do??
>
> Once I enable org-babel it executes everything before exporting??
> No finer settings possible?

Hi,

There are four export setting using Org-babel.

- none :: neither the code or the results are exported and the block is
          not run
- code :: the fortified code is exported and the block is not run
- results :: the block is run, and the results are exported
- both :: the block is run and both the code and results are exported

These setting are controlled via the :exports header argument, so for
example in the following code block only the code would be included on
export.

#+begin_src ditaa :file test.png :exports code
   +----------------------+
   |                      |
   |                      |
   |          +-----------+
   |          |           |
   |          |           |
   |          |           |
   |          +-----------+
   |                      |
   +----------------------+
#+end_src

If you grab the latest Org-babel code from
http://github.com/eschulte/org-babel/tree/master then you can set the
exports header argument for an entire subtree by setting the subtree's
"exports" property, for example

** show all
   :PROPERTIES:
   :exports:  both
   :END:

Best -- Eric

* Re: Exporting after executing code
@ 2009-09-14 13:27                 ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-09-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fantastic, Now I finally found how I will write my servers
 documentation, but still I have to decide how to proceed.

I have a git repository in /etc, so every important file is under
revision control.
I have two options I think:
- move everything on the server and link the config files with absolute path
(/etc/conf.conf)
- keep everything local and create a git server which I pull every time I make
a change.

The documentation should stay there always on the server
automatically published in html format, so maybe the first
solution is better.  But the second solution is more flexible and
I would have less problems with emacs and remote processes.

What would you suggest?