* Sibling subtrees are closed when items moved up and down in list
@ 2009-07-31  8:47 User
From: User @ 2009-07-31  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed when moving items up and down that subtrees of items on
the same level are closed during the moving. From a user point of
view it's a bit disorientating when I have a tree structure
opened in a certain folded state and I move it up or down then
sibling strees are suddenly closed changing the landscape view of
the tree and forcing the user readjust his visual comprehension
of the tree.

Is it intentional or is it a side effect of the current
implementation?

I think it would be better if tree folding status were preserved
after moving if possible, so the current visual layout of
the tree is affected as little as possible.

* Re: Sibling subtrees are closed when items moved up and down in list
@ 2009-08-03  4:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:47 AM, User wrote:

> I noticed when moving items up and down that subtrees of items on
> the same level are closed during the moving. From a user point of
> view it's a bit disorientating when I have a tree structure
> opened in a certain folded state and I move it up or down then
> sibling strees are suddenly closed changing the landscape view of
> the tree and forcing the user readjust his visual comprehension
> of the tree.
>
> Is it intentional or is it a side effect of the current
> implementation?

It was done in this way because moving subtrees can cause some
strange visibility artifacts, and the easiest way to fix this was
to switch to children view in this subtree.

However, I have changed this now, originally in response to
questions by Samuel about performance of subtree-move operations
in trees with very many siblings.

So I believe this issue is fixed now, let me know if not.

- Carsten