* Cycling when there is no subtree
@ 2009-07-30 10:14 User
From: User @ 2009-07-30 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I noticed if a header has only some text under it and no
subheaders the TAB cycling still goes over the FOLDED -> CHILDREN
-> SUBTREE cycle, though the last two states are effectively the
same in that case and nothing happens when TAB is pressed in
CHILDREN state.

Wouldn't it be better if in this case only the FOLDED - CHILDREN
states were cycled?

This way I could open such a header with TAB and close it again
with an other TAB press. Now I have to press TAB 3 times to do it,
which is annoying. Org could be smarter than that.

* Re: Cycling when there is no subtree
@ 2009-07-31  1:21 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-31  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

User <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed if a header has only some text under it and no
> subheaders the TAB cycling still goes over the FOLDED -> CHILDREN
> -> SUBTREE cycle, though the last two states are effectively the
> same in that case and nothing happens when TAB is pressed in
> CHILDREN state.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if in this case only the FOLDED - CHILDREN
> states were cycled?
>
> This way I could open such a header with TAB and close it again
> with an other TAB press. Now I have to press TAB 3 times to do it,
> which is annoying. Org could be smarter than that.

Yes.  I added this feature.

I first had concerns that breaking the tree-steps habit might be
dangerous, but finally I don't think it is.

Also note that we might want to update the behavior of the global
cycling: when the CONTENTS view displays the same things than the
OVERVIEW view, we should perhaps directly switch to SHOW ALL.

I'll Carsten sort this out -- and possibly revert the change I just
made, if he disagrees!

Thanks for this idea,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Cycling when there is no subtree
@ 2009-07-31  4:49   ` User
From: User @ 2009-07-31  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> I'll Carsten sort this out -- and possibly revert the change I just
> made, if he disagrees!

I hope he'll at least add an option in that case.

Thanks for implementing it.

* Re: Re: Cycling when there is no subtree
@ 2009-08-03 11:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 31, 2009, at 6:49 AM, User wrote:

> Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>>
>> I'll Carsten sort this out -- and possibly revert the change I just
>> made, if he disagrees!
>>

> I hope he'll at least add an option in that case.

I have indeed created an option for this, but the default is to skip
this children state if there are no children.  The name of the option is

`org-cycle-skip-children-state-if-no-children'

- Carsten