* performance problems with drawers
@ 2009-07-07 15:33 Al
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Al @ 2009-07-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm trying to use emacs org-mode to keep my bookmarks (using the
org-annotation-helper.el method). I find this really great, except performance
issues.

My .org file contains ~5000 entries, organized in a tree like this:

#+DRAWERS: MYDATA

** net
*** www
**** [[http://www.w3.org/][W3C - The World Wide Web Consortium]]
:MYDATA:
  :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:04]
  :LastVisit: [2000-08-31 16:32:15]
:END:

Some optional text

**** [[http://www.xml.com/pub][XML.com - XTech 2000 Conference]]
:AEDATA:
  :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:49]
  :LastVisit: [2001-10-08 15:37:09]
:END:

The problem is that with the drawers activated, it's *very* slow. Cycling the
visibility mode takes more than 10 seconds.
If I remove the drawers configuration line (#+DRAWERS: MYDATA), speed comes back
to reasonable levels, but obviously I lose the drawer effect.

Is there a solution to improve the speed and using the drawers ?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: performance problems with drawers
@ 2009-07-08  5:04 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-08  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I wonder if this happens with logbook drawers.  I also wonder if it
affects the speed of meta shift up and down (i.e. moving subtrees up
or down).

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 08:33, Al<gmane00@wilec.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use emacs org-mode to keep my bookmarks (using the
> org-annotation-helper.el method). I find this really great, except performance
> issues.
>
> My .org file contains ~5000 entries, organized in a tree like this:
>
> #+DRAWERS: MYDATA
>
> ** net
> *** www
> **** [[http://www.w3.org/][W3C - The World Wide Web Consortium]]
> :MYDATA:
>  :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:04]
>  :LastVisit: [2000-08-31 16:32:15]
> :END:
>
> Some optional text
>
> **** [[http://www.xml.com/pub][XML.com - XTech 2000 Conference]]
> :AEDATA:
>  :Entered:   [2000-03-06 10:29:49]
>  :LastVisit: [2001-10-08 15:37:09]
> :END:
>
> The problem is that with the drawers activated, it's *very* slow. Cycling the
> visibility mode takes more than 10 seconds.
> If I remove the drawers configuration line (#+DRAWERS: MYDATA), speed comes back
> to reasonable levels, but obviously I lose the drawer effect.
>
> Is there a solution to improve the speed and using the drawers ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death and severe suffering.
You can get it any time and never recover.  Conflicts of
interest are destroying research.  Do science and justice
matter to you?  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: performance problems with drawers
@ 2009-07-08  5:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-08  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Al,

first of all, I cannot reproduce the fact that drawers have such
a major influence on time, wit a test file that I created to
be similar to what you describe.

There is a way to speed up drawer handling, by using text properties
instead of overlays.  How have some vague plans to do this, but
nothing concrete or soon.

- Carsten

@ 2009-07-08  5:49   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-08  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Al

On Jul 8, 2009, at 7:04 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I wonder if this happens with logbook drawers.

Yes it would,

>  I also wonder if it
> affects the speed of meta shift up and down (i.e. moving subtrees up
> or down).

It might, but I don't think so

- Carsten

@ 2009-07-08  9:57   ` Al
From: Al @ 2009-07-08  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:
Hello Carsten,

> Hi Al,
>
> first of all, I cannot reproduce the fact that drawers have such
> a major influence on time, wit a test file that I created to
> be similar to what you describe.
>
> There is a way to speed up drawer handling, by using text properties
> instead of overlays.  How have some vague plans to do this, but
> nothing concrete or soon.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Jul 7, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Al wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to use emacs org-mode to keep my bookmarks (using the
> > org-annotation-helper.el method). I find this really great, except
> > performance
> > issues.
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > Is there a solution to improve the speed and using the drawers ?

Thanks for your answer, if you want I can send you an example file (160kB
compressed).

There are also performance problems just when moving the cursor up and down.

Just for the records, I'm using emacs-gtk 22.3.1 and org-mode 6.27a-1 on a
debian linux setup.

* Re: performance problems with drawers
@ 2009-08-03  4:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Al,

I think I have now been able to speed this up a lot.  There is
still a strange delay when you switch to CHILDREN view in
your Bookmark entry *for the first time*.  However, after that
things seem to be much faster.  I have no idea where this
initial delay comes from, it might have to do with the way
Emacs handles character properties internally.

Anyway, even the first time you use CHILDREN view is now much
faster than it used to be.

Please let me know if this solves the issue for you.

- Carsten

P.S.  Unfortunatey, I cannot fix the performance issues
regarding vertical cursor motion, this is in the guts of
Emacs.  `C-c C-f' and `C-c C-b' do help a bit...

@ 2009-08-09 19:54   ` Al
From: Al @ 2009-08-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

I'm just back from holidays and I've checked with current git version
6.29 trans (instead of the 6.27a I was using). It is much faster, even
for vertical cursor motion. Thank you very much for your work.

@ 2010-02-06  0:14   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-02-06  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Al

On 2009-08-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> P.S.  Unfortunatey, I cannot fix the performance issues
> regarding vertical cursor motion, this is in the guts of
> Emacs.  `C-c C-f' and `C-c C-b' do help a bit...

It is funny that outline-previous-visible-heading is faster than
previous-line when the previous subtree is folded.  I wonder if Emacs
searches for bol when it should be searching for visible text first,
then bol, or something.

In any case, thanks for the speedups.

* Re: performance problems with drawers
@ 2010-02-06  6:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-06  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Al

On Feb 6, 2010, at 1:14 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> On 2009-08-02, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> P.S.  Unfortunatey, I cannot fix the performance issues
>> regarding vertical cursor motion, this is in the guts of
>> Emacs.  `C-c C-f' and `C-c C-b' do help a bit...
>
> It is funny that outline-previous-visible-heading is faster than
> previous-line when the previous subtree is folded.  I wonder if Emacs
> searches for bol when it should be searching for visible text first,
> then bol, or something.

WHen Emacs does `previous-line', it does line by line, moving
on when the line is invisible. C-c C-b search headlines by regexp
and check only the headlines for visibilitiy.

- Carsten