* I just discovered the clone subtree command
@ 2009-06-17  0:46 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2009-06-17  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am reading the Org-mode Release 6.27a manual to learn new things.
and just discovered the C-c C-x c  (clone subtree) command.

This makes copies of a tree and inserts them as siblings. The command
prompts you for the number of copies to make. The really useful
feature is to update dates according to a pattern.

Here is an example of creating headings for each of the next six months:

Start with this:

** First of the month
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-07-01 Wed>

Position the cursor to the beginning of the line *** July
then issue the C-c C-x c

Answer the question "Number of clones to produce:"  with 6

Next question is
"Date shift per clone (e.g. +1w, empty to copy unchanged): "

Answer it +1m and the tree looks like:

*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-07-01 Wed>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-08-01 Sat>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-09-01 Tue>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-10-01 Thu>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-11-01 Sun>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2009-12-01 Tue>
*** July
    SCHEDULED: <2010-01-01 Fri>

Now you just have to change the occurrences of July to the real
month names!

I don't know when this feature appeared but it is very useful.

Charles

* Re: I just discovered the clone subtree command
@ 2009-06-17 23:22 ` Nicolas Aggelidis
From: Nicolas Aggelidis @ 2009-06-17 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Charles Cave <charlesweb@optusnet.com.au>wrote:

> I am reading the Org-mode Release 6.27a manual to learn new things.
> and just discovered the C-c C-x c  (clone subtree) command.
>
> This makes copies of a tree and inserts them as siblings. The command
> prompts you for the number of copies to make. The really useful
> feature is to update dates according to a pattern.
>
> Here is an example of creating headings for each of the next six months:
>
> Start with this:
>
> ** First of the month
> *** July
>    SCHEDULED: <2009-07-01 Wed>

> Now you just have to change the occurrences of July to the real
> month names!
>
> I don't know when this feature appeared but it is very useful.
>
> Charles

Hi Charles!

I have a training log that has the following headings

* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]

where i keep a training log for the day.

I tried replicating the tree, but i can't get the date to increase....so for
5 copies i get

* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]
* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]
* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]
* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]
* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]
* Training Log [2009-06-19 Fri]

so am i doing something wrong, or the clone-subtree-with-time-shift works
only on dates in properties?

best regards,
nicolas

* Re: I just discovered the clone subtree command
@ 2009-06-17 23:56   ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2009-06-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Aggelidis <n.aggelidis <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Charles!I have a training log that has the following headings

* Training Log
  [2009-06-19 Fri]

Change the square brackets to angle brackets then you will
find the cloning works!

* Re: Re: I just discovered the clone subtree command
@ 2009-06-18  8:20     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-18  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 18, 2009, at 1:56 AM, Charles Cave wrote:

> Nicolas Aggelidis <n.aggelidis <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Charles!I have a training log that has the following headings
>
> * Training Log
> [2009-06-19 Fri]
>
> Change the square brackets to angle brackets then you will
> find the cloning works!

I guess inactive time stamps should be shifted as well?
I am not entirely sure about this, but I have made that change.

Comments?

- Carsten

* Re: I just discovered the clone subtree command
@ 2009-06-18 12:31       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-18 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Charles Cave, emacs-orgmode

>> * Training Log
>> [2009-06-19 Fri]
>>
>> Change the square brackets to angle brackets then you will
>> find the cloning works!
>
> I guess inactive time stamps should be shifted as well?
> I am not entirely sure about this, but I have made that change.
>
> Comments?

+1 for cloning inactive time stamps. This will make creating a log very easy.

- Matt