* Stuck projects not ignoring inherited tags
@ 2009-02-13 15:29 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-13 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I've tried to configure stuck projects to ignore my 'Someday / maybe' tree,
by tagging the heading with 'someday' and then setting org-stuck-projects to
ignore it.

I've used Customize, but the code in .emacs comes out as:

 '(org-stuck-projects (quote ("+LEVEL=2/-DONE" ("TODO" "WAITING" "AGENDA"
"STARTED") ("someday") ""))))

Unfortunately it doesn't ignore the subtrees unless I directly tag each item.

Is there a way of setting this up so that it ignores the inherited tags?
Also, is there any syntax documentation for this variable, as I dislike using
Customize.

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Stuck projects not ignoring inherited tags
@ 2009-02-19 14:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 13, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Hi, I've tried to configure stuck projects to ignore my 'Someday /
> maybe' tree,
> by tagging the heading with 'someday' and then setting org-stuck-
> projects to
> ignore it.
>
> I've used Customize, but the code in .emacs comes out as:
>
> '(org-stuck-projects (quote ("+LEVEL=2/-DONE" ("TODO" "WAITING"
> "AGENDA"
> "STARTED") ("someday") ""))))
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't ignore the subtrees unless I directly tag
> each item.

That is right, the tags part (where you use "someday")
is not a full tags matcher, it does not consider inheritance,
only local tags.

However, you can do this in the initial match.  Make it

   "+LEVEL>=2-someday/-DONE"

note that the level is >=2, not =2 anymore.

Alternatively, write your own skipping condition
`using org-agenda-skip-subtree-if'.

> Is there a way of setting this up so that it ignores the inherited
> tags?
> Also, is there any syntax documentation for this variable, as I
> dislike using
> Customize.

The docstring of that variable does describe what its value
needs to look like.  Is that not extensive enough?

- Carsten

* Re: Stuck projects not ignoring inherited tags
@ 2009-02-19 15:32   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> However, you can do this in the initial match.  Make it
>
>   "+LEVEL>=2-someday/-DONE"
>
> note that the level is >=2, not =2 anymore.
Excellent, that did the trick, thanks. Can I exclude more tags in this
way, or does the syntax change?

> The docstring of that variable does describe what its value
> needs to look like.  Is that not extensive enough?

I'm assuming you mean the text available using M-x
describe-variable. I'm slowly getting to grips with some of this, but my
elisp knowledge is minimal.

The numbered list of items describes the lists well but doesn't give any
illustration of how for instance the tags/todo matcher string works. I'd
never have guessed that I could use -someday/-DONE in that string
without your pointing it out.

I try not to need leading by the nose, but sometimes I can be a bit
slow!

Thanks for your patience,

Paul

* Re: Re: Stuck projects not ignoring inherited tags
@ 2009-02-19 15:41     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 19, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>

>> However, you can do this in the initial match.  Make it
>>
>>  "+LEVEL>=2-someday/-DONE"
>>
>> note that the level is >=2, not =2 anymore.
> Excellent, that did the trick, thanks. Can I exclude more tags in this
> way, or does the syntax change?

Tags matches in general are explained here

http://orgmode.org/manual/Tag-searches.html#Tag-searches

and here

http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-searches.html#Property-searches

>> The docstring of that variable does describe what its value
>> needs to look like.  Is that not extensive enough?
>
> I'm assuming you mean the text available using M-x
> describe-variable. I'm slowly getting to grips with some of this,
> but my
> elisp knowledge is minimal.
>
> The numbered list of items describes the lists well but doesn't give
> any
> illustration of how for instance the tags/todo matcher string works.
> I'd
> never have guessed that I could use -someday/-DONE in that string
> without your pointing it out.

The manual has a section about stuck projects, did you read that?

http://orgmode.org/manual/Stuck-projects.html#Stuck-projects

- Carsten

* Re: Stuck projects not ignoring inherited tags
@ 2009-02-19 17:52       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-19 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Tags matches in general are explained here
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Tag-searches.html#Tag-searches
>

> and here
>

> http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-searches.html#Property-searches

Thanks.

> The manual has a section about stuck projects, did you read that?
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Stuck-projects.html#Stuck-projects

I'm not sure how I missed that, my apologies, and thanks for helping out!

Paul