* Idea: Quicksilver-like Org-mode (anything.el)
@ 2007-07-13 23:28 Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-07-13 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi all,

So I just ran across anything.el
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything.el) from Bill
Clementson's blog (http://bc.tech.coop/blog/070711.html). It's a
Quicksilver-like program for Emacs that allows you to quickly select
objects and run actions on them.

The first thing I thought of is how nice it would be to quickly add
TODOs to a project and complete TODOs, without having to navigate to
the buffer where they're located. I'm sure this isn't a new idea.

With anything.el, you could add the task "Move pictures" to the
project "Organize shared drive" by typing F5 Orga RET Move pictures
RET.

You could complete the task by typing F5 Move RET.

Both those are assuming nothing else matches Orga or Move.

Is this something people are interested in?

Here's a quick list of the two objects (Name) and actions I thought
of. I'm sure there are many others.

* Anything.el
** Org-mode
*** Name: Projects (level 2 headings)
**** Action: Create new TODO
**** Action: Create new subheading
**** Action: Complete
**** Action: Archive
*** Name: TODO (level 3 headings)
**** Action: Complete
**** Action: Schedule
**** Action: Set Deadline
**** Action: Clock in
**** Action: Clock out
**** Action: Add note

I'm sorry this email lacks code--it's just an idea.

Thanks for reading,
Scott

* Re: Idea: Quicksilver-like Org-mode (anything.el)
@ 2007-07-14  5:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-14  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: org-mode

This looks quite interesting indeed!

I guess it makes sense to wait a bit until anything.el
converges a bit more.  But this is certainly a great
idea.

- Carsten

On Jul 14, 2007, at 1:28, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So I just ran across anything.el
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything.el) from Bill
> Clementson's blog (http://bc.tech.coop/blog/070711.html). It's a
> Quicksilver-like program for Emacs that allows you to quickly select
> objects and run actions on them.
>
> The first thing I thought of is how nice it would be to quickly add
> TODOs to a project and complete TODOs, without having to navigate to
> the buffer where they're located. I'm sure this isn't a new idea.
>
> With anything.el, you could add the task "Move pictures" to the
> project "Organize shared drive" by typing F5 Orga RET Move pictures
> RET.
>
> You could complete the task by typing F5 Move RET.
>
> Both those are assuming nothing else matches Orga or Move.
>
> Is this something people are interested in?
>
> Here's a quick list of the two objects (Name) and actions I thought
> of. I'm sure there are many others.
>
> * Anything.el
> ** Org-mode
> *** Name: Projects (level 2 headings)
> **** Action: Create new TODO
> **** Action: Create new subheading
> **** Action: Complete
> **** Action: Archive
> *** Name: TODO (level 3 headings)
> **** Action: Complete
> **** Action: Schedule
> **** Action: Set Deadline
> **** Action: Clock in
> **** Action: Clock out
> **** Action: Add note
>
> I'm sorry this email lacks code--it's just an idea.
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Scott

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Idea: Quicksilver-like Org-mode (anything.el)
@ 2007-07-15 12:56 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-07-15 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

Scott Jaderholm <jaderholm <at> gmail.com> writes:

> With anything.el, you could add the task "Move pictures" to the
> project "Organize shared drive" by typing F5 Orga RET Move pictures
> RET.
>
> You could complete the task by typing F5 Move RET.

Sorry I misunderstand something but I guess this use is well covered by remember
and org-remember-templates, don't you think ?

Apart this, I also love anything.el.

Regards,

Xavier

* Re: Re: Idea: Quicksilver-like Org-mode (anything.el)
@ 2007-07-17 20:31   ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-07-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7/15/07, Xavier Maillard <maillaxa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Scott Jaderholm <jaderholm <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > With anything.el, you could add the task "Move pictures" to the
> > project "Organize shared drive" by typing F5 Orga RET Move pictures
> > RET.
> >
> > You could complete the task by typing F5 Move RET.
>
> Sorry I misunderstand something but I guess this use is well covered by remember
> and org-remember-templates, don't you think ?

I think you could add a TODO task to a project reasonably easily with
remember, but I'm not sure you can get the project or task name
completion, or the todo state changing, with remember. If you can I'd
love to hear how it's done.

--Scott