* Fair comparison of blorg and org-blog ?
@ 2007-07-02 20:39 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-07-02 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Is there any comparison table of the two main blog solution for org-mode
available somewhere ?

I have used them myself but I am quite unable to explain in what they differ,
what are the pros and cons of the solutions. A friend of mine has asked me to
help him choose one of them and I can't :)

Regards,

Xavier

* Re: Fair comparison of blorg and org-blog ?
@ 2007-07-04 16:35 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-07-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xavier,

I am the author of org-blog.el. It is very simple and provides only a
basic level of functionality: postings, a summary page, and RSS. There
are complete instructions in the org-blog.el commentary section. That
should give you an idea of org-blog's features.

I want to add more functionality (like a sidebar and maybe even a
calendar) but I've been working on other things lately...

I haven't used blorg so I don't know much about how it differs.

Xavier Maillard <maillaxa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any comparison table of the two main blog solution for org-mode
> available somewhere ?
>
> I have used them myself but I am quite unable to explain in what they differ,
> what are the pros and cons of the solutions. A friend of mine has asked me to
> help him choose one of them and I can't :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Xavier

David O'Toole
dto@gnu.org
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/

* Re: Fair comparison of blorg and org-blog ?
@ 2007-07-05 21:16   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-07-05 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

David O'Toole <dto <at> gnu.org> writes:

> I am the author of org-blog.el. It is very simple and provides only a
> basic level of functionality: postings, a summary page, and RSS. There
> are complete instructions in the org-blog.el commentary section. That
> should give you an idea of org-blog's features.

I know org-blog. I also know blorg.

Based on my own experience, this is what I could say:

Pros for blorg:

1. really take power of org-mode -ie. one entry marked done is publishable. The
rest stays in place
2. really easy to use if you know org-mode
3. category support through org-mode tags
4. templates
5. rss/rdf/atom support AFAIK
6. done by a french guy :)

Cons:

1. publishing done via another mode (does not use org-publish)
2. not enough templates/css supplied ;)

Pros of blorg:

1. really easy to use
2. use org-publish :)
3. no support for category and things like that
4. done by David :)

Cons:

1. unfinished post are put into a separate directory (why not use TODO/DONE
system as blorg does?)
2. org-publish :) (hard to setup correctly)
3. almost no documentation/example of what can be done (css etc)

So my perfect (org based) blog engine would take the best of these two modes but
I do not know how a "merge" could be made :)

Regards,
Xavier