* bug#17724: 24.4.50; regression: error "`recenter'ing a window that does not display current-buffer." when opening org-mode file
       [not found] ` <83r4303cuc.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-07 17:18   ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]   ` <wsmwdosko4.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-06-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, 17724, Gregor Zattler

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Bastien, could you please look into this?

This is like forwarding every Emacs bug to Stefan.

I suggest instead reassigning the bug to org-mode (or "emacs,org-mode"),
then simply posting a reply in the normal way. It will then go to the
emacs-orgmode mailing list (which is where Org bugs are supposed to go).

(I reassigned it before sending this reply.)

@ 2014-06-07 18:59     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <87singtukm.fsf@bzg.ath.cx>
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 17724, Eli Zaretskii, Gregor Zattler

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> Bastien, could you please look into this?
>
> This is like forwarding every Emacs bug to Stefan.
>
> I suggest instead reassigning the bug to org-mode (or "emacs,org-mode"),
> then simply posting a reply in the normal way. It will then go to the
> emacs-orgmode mailing list (which is where Org bugs are supposed to go).
>
> (I reassigned it before sending this reply.)

Thanks to both of you, I'll look into this next week.

--
 Bastien

       [not found] <87bnu4ww4i.fsf@boo.workgroup>
       [not found] ` <83r4303cuc.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2014-06-08  1:06 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <jwvioocfc04.fsf-monnier+emacsbugs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-08  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 17724

BTW, I would also point out that people who do not actively develop
Emacs should ideally use the emacs-24 (i.e. 24.3.9x) branch now rather
than the trunk (24.4.50), so as to help us fix problems before the
24.4 release.

        Stefan

@ 2014-06-09 20:53       ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]         ` <83mwdl1oay.fsf__34932.3046779775$1402367995$gmane$org@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 17724, Gregor Zattler

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>>> Bastien, could you please look into this?
>>
>> This is like forwarding every Emacs bug to Stefan.
>>
>> I suggest instead reassigning the bug to org-mode (or "emacs,org-mode"),
>> then simply posting a reply in the normal way. It will then go to the
>> emacs-orgmode mailing list (which is where Org bugs are supposed to go).
>>
>> (I reassigned it before sending this reply.)
>
> Thanks to both of you, I'll look into this next week.

FWIW, there was a call to recenter which was removed recently (less than
four weeks ago -- see
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86259) from org-overview.
I guess that should fix the reported bug but it's hard to tell without a
backtrace.

There's another one in org-fix-ellipsis-at-bol which might be related
(at least it has bitten me) :

(defsubst org-fix-ellipsis-at-bol ()
  (save-excursion (goto-char (window-start)) (recenter 0)))

(I have no idea how this is supposed to fix "ellipsis at bol".)

--
Nico.

@ 2014-06-10  2:38         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <83mwdl1oay.fsf__34932.3046779775$1402367995$gmane$org@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: bzg, 17724, grfz

> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 22:53:47 +0200
> Cc: 17724@debbugs.gnu.org, Gregor Zattler <grfz@gmx.de>
>
> FWIW, there was a call to recenter which was removed recently (less than
> four weeks ago -- see
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86259) from org-overview.
> I guess that should fix the reported bug but it's hard to tell without a
> backtrace.

I provided a full backtrace, C and Lisp, in my response.

@ 2014-06-10  8:09           ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]           ` <871tuxdw3y.fsf@geodiff-mac3.ulb.ac.be>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-10  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, 17724, grfz, bzg

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
>> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 22:53:47 +0200
>> Cc: 17724@debbugs.gnu.org, Gregor Zattler <grfz@gmx.de>
>>
>> FWIW, there was a call to recenter which was removed recently (less than
>> four weeks ago -- see
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/86259) from org-overview.
>> I guess that should fix the reported bug but it's hard to tell without a
>> backtrace.
>
> I provided a full backtrace, C and Lisp, in my response.

Oh indeed, I should have read the whole thread.

Your backtrace confirms that it was a call from org-overview ; that was
fixed in the master branch of org mode in commit
736bc7b9047600a690a4c00c2a6510fff5044e1f. I don't know if the bug should
be closed in this siutation, so I'll leave it to someone else.

--
Nico.

@ 2014-06-10  8:19             ` Bastien
       [not found]             ` <87lht5xjlt.fsf@bzg.ath.cx>
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-10  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, 17724, grfz

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> I don't know if the bug should
> be closed in this siutation, so I'll leave it to someone else.

It should not be closed in Emacs bugs system yet, because the master
branch of Org is not released and not merged into Emacs.  I'll keep
this under my radar until then.

 Bastien

@ 2014-06-17 12:14               ` lee
       [not found]               ` <87lhsvbunj.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
From: lee @ 2014-06-17 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Nicolas Richard, 17724, grfz

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:
>
>> I don't know if the bug should
>> be closed in this siutation, so I'll leave it to someone else.
>
> It should not be closed in Emacs bugs system yet, because the master
> branch of Org is not released and not merged into Emacs.  I'll keep
> this under my radar until then.

Since users may want to work around this problem until it is fixed:

  if (buf != current_buffer)
	  //	  error ("`recenter'ing a window that does not display current-buffer.");
	  return Qnil;

... in src/window.c seems to work for me.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.

       [not found]                   ` <87ha3jlaoa.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-17 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: Bastien, 17724, grfz, Nicolas Richard

>   if (buf != current_buffer)
> 	  //	  error ("`recenter'ing a window that does not display current-buffer.");
> 	  return Qnil;
> ... in src/window.c seems to work for me.

Using `emacs-24' also works, without defeating the purpose of the
error message ;-)

        Stefan

@ 2014-06-17 17:15                   ` lee
       [not found]                   ` <87ha3jlaoa.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
From: lee @ 2014-06-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Bastien, 17724, grfz, Nicolas Richard

>>   if (buf != current_buffer)
>> 	  //	  error ("`recenter'ing a window that does not display current-buffer.");
>> 	  return Qnil;
>> ... in src/window.c seems to work for me.
>
> Using `emacs-24' also works, without defeating the purpose of the
> error message ;-)

I figured that there must be a purpose to it; otherwise it doesn't seem
to make much sense to have this error :)

Having cloned as described on http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs
with 'git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git', I'm getting the
master branch.  Master seems to be identical with trunk.

Perhaps add some advise to the web page so ppl pull the emacs24 branch
instead?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.

* bug#17724: 24.4.50; regression: error "`recenter'ing a window that does not display current-buffer." when opening org-mode file
       [not found]                   ` <87ha3jlaoa.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
                                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-17 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: grfz, bzg, 17724, monnier, theonewiththeevillook

> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:15:33 +0200
> Cc: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>, 17724@debbugs.gnu.org, grfz@gmx.de,
> 	Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
>
> Having cloned as described on http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs
> with 'git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git', I'm getting the
> master branch.  Master seems to be identical with trunk.
>
> Perhaps add some advise to the web page so ppl pull the emacs24 branch
> instead?

It's git, right?  The one that has "git checkout BRANCH" and stuff?

       [not found]                     ` <jwv38f38gwv.fsf-monnier+emacsbugs@gnu.org>
       [not found]                     ` <8361jzuyh2.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: Bastien, 17724, grfz, Nicolas Richard

> Perhaps add some advise to the web page so ppl pull the emacs24 branch
> instead?

Does someone know how to change the text in

@ 2014-06-18  2:43                       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                       ` <834mzjuecn.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-18  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lee, 17724, bzg, grfz, theonewiththeevillook

Ask savannah-hackers@gnu.org.

@ 2014-06-18 11:10                       ` lee
       [not found]                       ` <87mwdav5gk.fsf@yun.yagibdah.de>
From: lee @ 2014-06-18 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: grfz, bzg, 17724, monnier, theonewiththeevillook

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:15:33 +0200
>> Cc: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>, 17724@debbugs.gnu.org, grfz@gmx.de,
>> 	Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
>>
>> Having cloned as described on http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs
>> with 'git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git', I'm getting the
>> master branch.  Master seems to be identical with trunk.
>>
>> Perhaps add some advise to the web page so ppl pull the emacs24 branch
>> instead?
>
> It's git, right?  The one that has "git checkout BRANCH" and stuff?

Yes, I pulled from the git repo as described on the website.  Next time
I update, I guess I can pull the emacs24 branch and use that.

--

@ 2014-06-18 12:04                         ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]                         ` <jwvy4wu1l1g.fsf-monnier+emacsbugs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-18 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: lee, 17724, bzg, grfz, theonewiththeevillook

> Ask savannah-hackers@gnu.org.

Then it's not worth the trouble (since it's a temporary change that
will need to be modified yet again when we release 24.4).

        Stefan

@ 2014-06-18 14:39                           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                           ` <83y4wuth7s.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lee, 17724, bzg, grfz, theonewiththeevillook

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: lee@yun.yagibdah.de,  bzg@altern.org,  17724@debbugs.gnu.org,  grfz@gmx.de,  theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:04:39 -0400
>
> > Ask savannah-hackers@gnu.org.
>
> Then it's not worth the trouble (since it's a temporary change that
> will need to be modified yet again when we release 24.4).

Not sure what you have in mind, but perhaps we should rename the
branch to something like 'release-branch', and then its name won't
need to change with the Emacs versions.

@ 2014-06-18 18:15                             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-06-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: lee, 17724, bzg, grfz, theonewiththeevillook

> Not sure what you have in mind, but perhaps we should rename the
> branch to something like 'release-branch', and then its name won't
> need to change with the Emacs versions.

It's not just the name: after the release we won't ask people to track
the "release-branch".  Maybe we could use a "branch alias" which we can
switch between "trunk" and "release-branch".  With Bzr this could be
implemented as a symlink (tho I'm not sure if bzr's transport protocol
lets us create symlinks).  With Git, I'm not sure if it's supported
natively or would have to be simulated with symlinks (which we'd have
to ask savannah-hackers@gnu.org to create&change).

        Stefan

@ 2014-06-18 18:52   ` Gregor Zattler
       [not found]   ` <20140618185205.GA19722@boo.workgroup>
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2014-06-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 17724

Hi Stefan,
* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [07. Jun. 2014]:
> BTW, I would also point out that people who do not actively develop
> Emacs should ideally use the emacs-24 (i.e. 24.3.9x) branch now rather
> than the trunk (24.4.50), so as to help us fix problems before the
> 24.4 release.

I'd love to.  But the emacs-24 branch gives emacs version 24.4.50,
there is a tag emacs-24.3.91 tough, which is from 2014-05-11, whilst
the emacs-24 branch ATM has commits from 2014-06-07.

I'm a novice to version control, but I think a release-branch (as Eli
mentiones in mid:83y4wuth7s.fsf@gnu.org) would be great and I think
it's doable with a normal branch!?

Ciao; Gregor

@ 2014-06-18 19:10     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <20140618220737.GE19722@boo.workgroup>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-18 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 17724, monnier

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:52:05 +0200
> From: Gregor Zattler <grfz@gmx.de>
> Cc: 17724@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> Hi Stefan,
> * Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [07. Jun. 2014]:
> > BTW, I would also point out that people who do not actively develop
> > Emacs should ideally use the emacs-24 (i.e. 24.3.9x) branch now rather
> > than the trunk (24.4.50), so as to help us fix problems before the
> > 24.4 release.
>
> I'd love to.  But the emacs-24 branch gives emacs version 24.4.50,

No, the emacs-24 branch's version is 24.3.91.  If you have 24.4.50,
you've got the trunk there, not the emacs-24 branch.

How did you checkout what you think is the emacs-24 branch?

> I'm a novice to version control, but I think a release-branch (as Eli
> mentiones in mid:83y4wuth7s.fsf@gnu.org) would be great and I think
> it's doable with a normal branch!?

I was just talking about the name of the branch.  Your problems are
deeper than that.

@ 2014-06-18 22:07       ` Gregor Zattler
       [not found]       ` <20140618220737.GE19722@boo.workgroup>
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2014-06-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 17724, monnier

Hi Eli,
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [18. Jun. 2014]:
> > * Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [07. Jun. 2014]:
> > > BTW, I would also point out that people who do not actively develop
> > > Emacs should ideally use the emacs-24 (i.e. 24.3.9x) branch now rather
> > > than the trunk (24.4.50), so as to help us fix problems before the
> > > 24.4 release.
> >
> > I'd love to.  But the emacs-24 branch gives emacs version 24.4.50,
>
> No, the emacs-24 branch's version is 24.3.91.  If you have 24.4.50,
> you've got the trunk there, not the emacs-24 branch.
>
> How did you checkout what you think is the emacs-24 branch?

like so:
$ cd ~/src/emacs/; rm -rf * ; git co -f emacs-24
Checking out files: 100% (3525/3525), done.
Previous HEAD position was 0f0917d... Regenerate AUTHORS and ldefs-boot.el
Switched to branch 'emacs-24'

then I do
$ ./autogen.sh && ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot --enable-checking --enable-link-time-optimization --without-toolkit-scroll-bars  --with-x-toolkit=gtk3

when I now do (long output ahead)
$ rgrep -- "24\.4\.50"
configure.ac:AC_INIT(GNU Emacs, 24.4.50, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)
lib/Makefile:PACKAGE_STRING = GNU Emacs 24.4.50
lib/Makefile:PACKAGE_VERSION = 24.4.50
lib/Makefile:VERSION = 24.4.50
lib/Makefile:version = 24.4.50
doc/misc/Makefile:version=24.4.50
doc/lispintro/Makefile:version=24.4.50
doc/lispref/Makefile:version=24.4.50
doc/man/emacs.1:.TH EMACS 1 "2007 April 13" "GNU Emacs 24.4.50"
doc/emacs/Makefile:version=24.4.50
doc/emacs/emacsver.texi:@set EMACSVER 24.4.50
ChangeLog:	* configure.ac: Bump version to 24.4.50.
README:This directory tree holds version 24.4.50 of GNU Emacs, the extensible,
nt/makefile.w32-in:VERSION		= 24.4.50
nt/Makefile:version=24.4.50
nt/config.nt:#define VERSION "24.4.50"
configure:# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69 for GNU Emacs 24.4.50.
configure:PACKAGE_VERSION='24.4.50'
configure:PACKAGE_STRING='GNU Emacs 24.4.50'
configure:\`configure' configures GNU Emacs 24.4.50 to adapt to many kinds of systems.
configure:     short | recursive ) echo "Configuration of GNU Emacs 24.4.50:";;
configure:GNU Emacs configure 24.4.50
configure:It was created by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
configure: VERSION='24.4.50'
configure:This file was extended by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
configure:GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50
Makefile:version=24.4.50
autom4te.cache/traces.1:m4trace:configure.ac:26: -1- AC_INIT([GNU Emacs], [24.4.50], [bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org])
autom4te.cache/output.1:@%:@ Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69 for GNU Emacs 24.4.50.
autom4te.cache/output.1:PACKAGE_VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.1:PACKAGE_STRING='GNU Emacs 24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.1:\`configure' configures GNU Emacs 24.4.50 to adapt to many kinds of systems.
autom4te.cache/output.1:     short | recursive ) echo "Configuration of GNU Emacs 24.4.50:";;
autom4te.cache/output.1:GNU Emacs configure 24.4.50
autom4te.cache/output.1:It was created by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.1: VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.1:This file was extended by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.1:GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50
autom4te.cache/output.2:@%:@ Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69 for GNU Emacs 24.4.50.
autom4te.cache/output.2:PACKAGE_VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.2:PACKAGE_STRING='GNU Emacs 24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.2:\`configure' configures GNU Emacs 24.4.50 to adapt to many kinds of systems.
autom4te.cache/output.2:     short | recursive ) echo "Configuration of GNU Emacs 24.4.50:";;
autom4te.cache/output.2:GNU Emacs configure 24.4.50
autom4te.cache/output.2:It was created by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.2: VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.2:This file was extended by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.2:GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50
autom4te.cache/traces.2:m4trace:configure.ac:26: -1- AC_INIT([GNU Emacs], [24.4.50], [bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org])
autom4te.cache/output.0:@%:@ Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.69 for GNU Emacs 24.4.50.
autom4te.cache/output.0:PACKAGE_VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.0:PACKAGE_STRING='GNU Emacs 24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.0:\`configure' configures GNU Emacs 24.4.50 to adapt to many kinds of systems.
autom4te.cache/output.0:     short | recursive ) echo "Configuration of GNU Emacs 24.4.50:";;
autom4te.cache/output.0:GNU Emacs configure 24.4.50
autom4te.cache/output.0:It was created by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.0: VERSION='24.4.50'
autom4te.cache/output.0:This file was extended by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
autom4te.cache/output.0:GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50
lib-src/Makefile:version=24.4.50
msdos/sed2v2.inp:/^#undef VERSION/s/^.*$/#define VERSION "24.4.50"/
config.log:It was created by GNU Emacs configure 24.4.50, which was
config.log:| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "24.4.50"
config.log:| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU Emacs 24.4.50"
config.log:| #define VERSION "24.4.50"
[...]
config.log:This file was extended by GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50, which was
config.log:PACKAGE_STRING='GNU Emacs 24.4.50'
config.log:PACKAGE_VERSION='24.4.50'
config.log:VERSION='24.4.50'
config.log:version='24.4.50'
config.log:#define PACKAGE_VERSION "24.4.50"
config.log:#define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU Emacs 24.4.50"
config.log:#define VERSION "24.4.50"
config.status:This file was extended by GNU Emacs $as_me 24.4.50, which was
config.status:GNU Emacs config.status 24.4.50
config.status:S["version"]="24.4.50"
config.status:S["VERSION"]="24.4.50"
config.status:S["PACKAGE_STRING"]="GNU Emacs 24.4.50"
config.status:S["PACKAGE_VERSION"]="24.4.50"
config.status:D["PACKAGE_VERSION"]=" \"24.4.50\""
config.status:D["PACKAGE_STRING"]=" \"GNU Emacs 24.4.50\""
config.status:D["VERSION"]=" \"24.4.50\""
src/Makefile:version = 24.4.50
src/config.h:#define PACKAGE_STRING "GNU Emacs 24.4.50"
src/config.h:#define PACKAGE_VERSION "24.4.50"
src/config.h:#define VERSION "24.4.50"
src/epaths.h:#define PATH_LOADSEARCH "/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp"
src/epaths.h:#define PATH_SITELOADSEARCH "/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/emacs/24.4.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/emacs/site-lisp"
src/epaths.h:#define PATH_EXEC "/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/libexec/emacs/24.4.50/i686-pc-linux-gnu"
src/epaths.h:#define PATH_DATA "/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/emacs/24.4.50/etc"
src/epaths.h:#define PATH_DOC "/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot/share/emacs/24.4.50/etc"

now I do
$ make
[...]

$ ls -Altr src/emacs-24*
-rwxr-xr-x 3 grfz grfz 23799208 Jun 18 23:29 src/emacs-24.4.50.1

$ src/emacs -Q -nw -f version

GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-06-18 on boo

Git still thinks I'm on branch emacs-24:
$ git branch
* emacs-24
  master

I cloned this repo from savannah:

cd .git ; cat config
$ cat config
[core]
repositoryformatversion = 0
filemode = true
bare = false
logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "master"]
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/master

I thought emacs-24 was the branch which track the release but...

Thanks for asking back.  Perhaps this is a quirk in this git repo?

Ciao; Gregor

@ 2014-06-19  2:46                         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]                         ` <837g4dty3k.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-19  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lee; +Cc: grfz, bzg, 17724, monnier, theonewiththeevillook

> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  bzg@altern.org,  17724@debbugs.gnu.org,  grfz@gmx.de,  theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 13:10:19 +0200
>
> > It's git, right?  The one that has "git checkout BRANCH" and stuff?
>
> Yes, I pulled from the git repo as described on the website.  Next time
> I update, I guess I can pull the emacs24 branch and use that.

If you cloned the repository normally, you already have emacs-24, you
just need to checkout it.

@ 2014-06-19  8:20         ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found]         ` <8761jxqpiv.fsf@geodiff-mac3.ulb.ac.be>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-19  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 17724, monnier

Gregor Zattler <grfz@gmx.de> writes:
> like so:
> $ cd ~/src/emacs/; rm -rf * ; git co -f emacs-24
> Checking out files: 100% (3525/3525), done.
> Previous HEAD position was 0f0917d... Regenerate AUTHORS and ldefs-boot.el
> Switched to branch 'emacs-24'

(Here I am assuming emacs-24 is still checked out.)

Could you issue "git describe --tags" and "git branch -a --contains
HEAD" ? I suspect your local emacs-24 branch isn't the actual emacs-24
branch.

(OTOH 0f0917d *does* belong to emacs-24, so there's still something
weird.)

> cd .git ; cat config
> $ cat config
> [core]
> repositoryformatversion = 0
> filemode = true
> bare = false
> logallrefupdates = true
> [remote "origin"]
> url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> [branch "master"]
> remote = origin
> merge = refs/heads/master

Shouldn't there be an entry for emacs-24 here ?

--
Nico.

@ 2014-06-19  9:35                           ` lee
From: lee @ 2014-06-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: grfz, bzg, 17724, monnier, theonewiththeevillook

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  bzg@altern.org,  17724@debbugs.gnu.org,  grfz@gmx.de,  theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 13:10:19 +0200
>>
>> > It's git, right?  The one that has "git checkout BRANCH" and stuff?
>>
>> Yes, I pulled from the git repo as described on the website.  Next time
>> I update, I guess I can pull the emacs24 branch and use that.
>
> If you cloned the repository normally, you already have emacs-24, you
> just need to checkout it.

Someone seems to have changed the website :)  What is "elpa"?

,----
| # git remote show origin
| * remote origin
|   Fetch URL: git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
|   Push  URL: git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
|   HEAD branch (remote HEAD is ambiguous, may be one of the following):
|     master
|     trunk
|   Remote branches:
| [...]
| git branch --list
| * master
`----

Is it good that master and trunk are ambiguous?  Perhaps descriptions
could be added so we can know what a branch is for.

--

@ 2014-06-19 14:58           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <20140619190810.GB9247@boo.workgroup>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: 17724, monnier

> From: Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  17724@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:20:24 +0200
>
> I suspect your local emacs-24 branch isn't the actual emacs-24
> branch.

Seconded.

> > cd .git ; cat config
> > $ cat config
> > [core]
> > repositoryformatversion = 0
> > filemode = true
> > bare = false
> > logallrefupdates = true
> > [remote "origin"]
> > url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
> > fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> > [branch "master"]
> > remote = origin
> > merge = refs/heads/master
>
> Shouldn't there be an entry for emacs-24 here ?

Indeed, there should be.  I do have it.

So I think Gregor's repository is botched, and suggest to remove it
and clone a new one.

@ 2014-06-19 19:08           ` Gregor Zattler
       [not found]           ` <20140619190810.GB9247@boo.workgroup>
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2014-06-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, 17724, monnier

Hi Nicolas,
* Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> [19. Jun. 2014]:
> Gregor Zattler <grfz@gmx.de> writes:
>> like so:
>> $ cd ~/src/emacs/; rm -rf * ; git co -f emacs-24
>> Checking out files: 100% (3525/3525), done.
>> Previous HEAD position was 0f0917d... Regenerate AUTHORS and ldefs-boot.el
>> Switched to branch 'emacs-24'
>
> (Here I am assuming emacs-24 is still checked out.)
>
> Could you issue "git describe --tags" and "git branch -a --contains
> HEAD" ? I suspect your local emacs-24 branch isn't the actual emacs-24
> branch.
> (OTOH 0f0917d *does* belong to emacs-24, so there's still something
> weird.)

$ cd ~/src/emacs/; rm -rf * ; git co -f emacs-24
Checking out files: 100% (3498/3498), done.
Switched to branch 'emacs-24'
$ git describe --tags
emacs-24.3.91-602-ga92eaac
s$ git branch -a --contains HEAD
* emacs-24
master
remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
remotes/origin/master
remotes/origin/trunk

Hmhm.  I have no clue what this signifies.  Perhaps it should
show remotes/origin/master -> origin/master?

>> cd .git ; cat config
>> $ cat config
>> [core]
>> repositoryformatversion = 0
>> filemode = true
>> bare = false
>> logallrefupdates = true
>> [remote "origin"]
>> url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
>> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
>> [branch "master"]
>> remote = origin
>> merge = refs/heads/master
>
> Shouldn't there be an entry for emacs-24 here ?

I have no clue, but I was suspicious, thats why I pasted this
into my mail.

Thanks for your help.  But if this is only a problem for me, it's
probably easier to wait till emacs officially switches to git and
then clone that repository.

Ciao; Gregor

@ 2014-06-19 20:29             ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-06-19 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, 17724, monnier

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:
> s$ git branch -a --contains HEAD
> * emacs-24
> master
> remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
> remotes/origin/master
> remotes/origin/trunk

So indeed your local emacs-24 branch points in fact to a commit from
trunk.

I think running those commands should fix the problem:
git branch -u origin/emacs-24
git reset --hard origin/emacs-24

--
Nico.

@ 2014-06-19 20:43         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-06-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 17724

Gregor Zattler writes:
> Hi Eli,
> * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [18. Jun. 2014]:
>> > * Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [07. Jun. 2014]:
>> >
>> > I'd love to.  But the emacs-24 branch gives emacs version 24.4.50,
>>
>> No, the emacs-24 branch's version is 24.3.91.  If you have 24.4.50,
>> you've got the trunk there, not the emacs-24 branch.
>>
>> How did you checkout what you think is the emacs-24 branch?
>
> like so:
> $ cd ~/src/emacs/; rm -rf * ; git co -f emacs-24
> Checking out files: 100% (3525/3525), done.
> Previous HEAD position was 0f0917d... Regenerate AUTHORS and ldefs-boot.el
> Switched to branch 'emacs-24'

I'm not sure how you ended up on a branch named emacs-24 given your
config.  Also you seem to use some heavily customized version of git
given that apparently an alias for checkout exists.  That alias may
supply other modifications that you may or may not want.

> Git still thinks I'm on branch emacs-24:
> $ git branch
> * emacs-24
>   master
>
> I cloned this repo from savannah:
>
> cd .git ; cat config
> $ cat config
> [core]
> repositoryformatversion = 0
> filemode = true
> bare = false
> logallrefupdates = true
> [remote "origin"]
> url = git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
> [branch "master"]
> remote = origin
> merge = refs/heads/master

There is no emacs-24 branch following upstream here.  You'd need

[branch "emacs-24"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/emacs-24

in the config, which is usually created when doing

git branch --track emacs-24 origin/emacs-24

> I thought emacs-24 was the branch which track the release but...

You need to learn a little bit of Git.

Regards,
Achim.