* org-babel tangling + ascii export
@ 2012-03-22 21:14 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-03-22 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to combine org-babel tangling with ASCII export, so that
the tangled file would have ALL of the Org-file's content
as comments (preserving indentation etc as the ASCII export does),
with the code blocks inserted as non-comments?

Basically I want to write the program in literate-programming form in
Org mode, but be able to export it into an executable form that's
independent of Org but still has all the information (not just the
text immediately before each code block).

Thanks for help,

ilya

* Re: org-babel tangling + ascii export
@ 2012-03-26 11:22 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes this is possible, see the "org" argument to the "comment" header
argument http://orgmode.org/manual/comments.html.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: org-babel tangling + ascii export
@ 2012-03-26 13:10     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-03-26 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

>>Yes this is possible, see the "org" argument to the "comment" header
> argument http://orgmode.org/manual/comments.html.
>
> Right, I saw that, but it has the following limitation:
>
>>The text is picked from the leading context of the tangled code and is
> limited by the nearest headline or source block as the case may be.
>
> I want all text from the Org file included, not just "leading context up to
> nearest headline".

The above text means "per code block", so the entire file is exported.

> I also want the hierarchical structure of the included text preserved,
> as done by ASCII export.

Please try to tangle the attached file, I believe it is what you want.

> (E.g. I want to include high-level documentation and description, as
> goes at the top of an elisp file, and which can be broken into
> sections/subsections/etc -- not just local documentation before a
> given code block).  Is that possible?

Yes.

Best,

[-- Attachment #2: something.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 356 bytes --]

#+Property: comments both
#+Property: tangle example.el

This is a the top of an Org-mode file.

* Headline 1
This is content inside of a headline.
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 3 |
| 4 |

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (message "code block 1")
#+end_src

* Headline 2
This is content inside of a secondary headline.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (message "code block 1")
#+end_src

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: org-babel tangling + ascii export
@ 2012-03-26 14:58   ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-03-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>Yes this is possible, see the "org" argument to the "comment" header
argument http://orgmode.org/manual/comments.html.

Right, I saw that, but it has the following limitation:

>The text is picked from the leading context of the tangled code and is
limited by the nearest headline or source block as the case may be.

I want all text from the Org file included, not just "leading context up to
nearest headline".   I also want the hierarchical structure
of the included text preserved, as done by ASCII export.   (E.g. I want to

@ 2012-03-26 15:57       ` Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-03-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode