Hello ! I would like to submit the attached patch for org.el. This patch introduces the new function org-find-timestamps, which has the documentation given below. Part of its functionality is also added as a new option to the function org-sparse-tree. However, the full functionality of org-find-timestamps can only be used if it is called directly. This is my first patch to org-mode so I would be grateful for any advice and comments. (There already has been some very helpful discussion with Bastien see news://news.gmane.org:119/4E29C4BA.5090906@online.de) If this patch is deemed acceptable I would be glad to submit a secound patch to the documentation as well. By the way: There are surely official documentation standards, that I could adhere for this. However, at present I cannot find them. Could anyone provide me a pointer please ? with kind regards, Marc-Oliver Ihm > org-find-timestamps is an interactive Lisp function in `org.el'. > > (org-find-timestamps &optional FIRST-DATE LAST-DATE BUFFER-NAME WHICH > COLLECT-METHOD SORT) > > Find inactive timestamps within a date-range and maybe sort them. > > This function can help to bring the notes, that you take within > org-mode, into a chronological order, even if they are scattered > among many different nodes. The result is somewhat like a diary, > listing the timestamps of the notes, that you have taken on each day. > Such a listing might help to provide an answer to the common question > 'What have I done last Week ?' > Please be aware however: This intended usage requires, > that you routinely insert (inactive) timestamps into the > notes that you write, which is a prerequisite habit that you may or > may not want to adopt. > > org-find-timstamps works in these steps: Create a regular expression > to match a given range of dates; search for it and > display the results either as a sparse tree or with the help > of occur. The original buffer is not modified. > > The Arguments FIRST-DATE and LAST-DATE (yyyy-mm-dd) define the range > of timestamps to search for. In general anything, that can be > understood by `org-read-date' will be accepted. > > BUFFER-NAME specifies the name of the buffer to search. If nil, use > the current buffer. > > The Argument WHICH (one of the symbols `active', `inactive' > or `both'), tells the function, which timestamps to search for. > > COLLECT-METHOD can be one of `org-occur', `occur' and > `multi-occur' and determines, Which buffers to search (current or > all org-mode buffers) and how to present the matches. > > Results will be sorted according to SORT (either the symbol `y' > or `n'). Sorting however is only possible, if results are presented > with `occur' or `multi-occur'. > > All Arguments can be `nil' (or ommitted), in which case their values > are queried interactively.