* Nested list with percent-complete in multiple states?
@ 2013-04-11 14:00 Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2013-04-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm helping to edit a large document with section contributions from
many people.  Any given section may come in some bizarre format (ie,
.doc) which I convert to LaTeX, leave open a time for subsequent edits
and finally freeze the section.

I'd like to track this state using org-mode.

So far I've been using a nested checklist like:

* Document Sections [0/4]
  - [-] Chapter 1 [0/3]
    - [ ] section 1 (person A)
    - [ ] section 2 (person B)
    - [ ] section 2 (person C)
  - [-] Chapter 2 [1/1]
    - [X] section 1 (Person D)

This is okay for binary state, but is there any to have more states
represented and get a summary of the percent of each chapter/section in
that state?

For example, I'd like something like:

* Document Sections (received:[1/4] converted:[1/4] frozen:[1/4] missing [1/4])
  - [-] Chapter 1 (received:[2/3] converted:[1/3] frozen:[0/3] missing [1/3])
    - [ ] section 1 (person A)
    - [R] section 2 (person B)
    - [C] section 2 (person C)
  - [-] Chapter 2 (received:[1/1] converted:[1/1] frozen:[1/1] missing [0/1])
    - [F] section 1 (Person D)

Is there anything which gets me in this direction?

Thanks,
-Brett.

* Re: Nested list with percent-complete in multiple states?
@ 2013-04-11 15:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-11 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Viren; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Brett,

Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov> writes:

> * Document Sections (received:[1/4] converted:[1/4] frozen:[1/4] missing [1/4])
>   - [-] Chapter 1 (received:[2/3] converted:[1/3] frozen:[0/3] missing [1/3])
>     - [ ] section 1 (person A)
>     - [R] section 2 (person B)
>     - [C] section 2 (person C)
>   - [-] Chapter 2 (received:[1/1] converted:[1/1] frozen:[1/1] missing [0/1])
>     - [F] section 1 (Person D)
>
> Is there anything which gets me in this direction?

Check boxes have only three state: empty, checked, undecided.

If you need more states, I suggest using a property.
Then the column view can be used to display a summary
of the "sum" of all properties in the subtree.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Nested list with percent-complete in multiple states?
@ 2013-04-11 17:36   ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2013-04-11 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Check boxes have only three state: empty, checked, undecided.
>
> If you need more states, I suggest using a property.
> Then the column view can be used to display a summary
> of the "sum" of all properties in the subtree.

Thanks for the pointer, Bastien.  This looks like a fine way to do
things.

I've been able to "capture" the columnview into another .org file and
then export that to an HTML file.  Is there a way to automate these
three steps?

Notes on what I did so far follow.

In a "notes.org":

* Document status
 :PROPERTIES:
 :COLUMNS: %25ITEM(Section) %25Responsible %3Received{X} %3Converted{X} %3Editing{X} %3Frozen{X}
 :Responsible_ALL: Person1 Person2 Person3
 :Received_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"
 :Converted_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"
 :Editing_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"
 :Frozen_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"
 :ID:       document-status
 :END:

** Section 1
*** Subsection 1.1
     :PROPERTIES:
     :Responsible: Person1
     :Converted: [ ]
     :END:

Etc for other sections.  Hints:

 - only need to add properties in sub (or subsub, etc) sections where
   they are strictly needed.  Parents inherit from children

 - don't actually edit :PROPERTIES: by hand instead do C-c C-x C-c to
   turn on columns and "e" in a cell to edit it with values from the
   list of possible ones in the *_ALL and/or do C-c C-c to toggle values

I shall look into adding numerical values to get %-done type columns.

Then for presentation.  As per

  http://orgmode.org/manual/Capturing-column-view.html

To make presentation with just this tree of info make another file
"status.org" with:

* Status
#+BEGIN: columnview :vlines t :hlines 1 :id "document-status"
#+END:

Go to "BEGIN" and hit C-c C-c and a table will be inserted.  Then a
normal export to HTML can be done.

@ 2013-04-12  5:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Viren; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Brett,

thanks for sharing your recipe, nice.

Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov> writes:

> I've been able to "capture" the columnview into another .org file and
> then export that to an HTML file.  Is there a way to automate these
> three steps?

Not that I can think about right now, but surely some hack could do.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Nested list with percent-complete in multiple states?
@ 2013-04-15 18:26       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-15 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Brett,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 07:39:24AM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Brett,
>
> thanks for sharing your recipe, nice.

Yes indeed!  I think this is a fine addition to Worg.  Maybe the column
view page would be appropriate?

<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-column-view-tutorial.html>

> Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov> writes:
>
> > I've been able to "capture" the columnview into another .org file and
> > then export that to an HTML file.  Is there a way to automate these
> > three steps?
>
> Not that I can think about right now, but surely some hack could do.

Time to break out keyboard macros!

Cheers,

--
Suvayu