Eric Schulte writes: > You can use `org-element-parse-buffer' to convert an Emacs Buffer to a > structured Emacs Lisp object. At that point you can use existing tools > for converting lisp to JSON or YAML. I've used cl-json for Common Lisp, > I would imagine something similar exists for Emacs Lisp. Thanks for the suggestion. I pursued that a bit this weekend. The resulting data structure is a Circular Object[1] due to the ":parent" references. It seems dealing with this kind of data structure is somewhat uncommon (or my search-fu lacking), although I do find a recent reference to it on this mailing list[2]. I also found a "cust-print"[3] feature from Emacs 19 which has since been removed. It shows a way to deal with Circular Objects. So far it has strongly taxed my poor elisp skills but I plan to pursue this direction a bit more. I did try throwing a JSON parser/generator[4] at the output of org-element-parse-buffer but this failed due to exceeding emacs's recursion limits. I think this must be from the ":parent" references getting recursed on forever. -Brett. [1] one must (setq print-circle t) to avoid emacs reader errors http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Circular-Objects.html [2] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65999 [3] http://web.mit.edu/dosathena/sandbox/emacs-19.28/lisp/cust-print.el [4] http://edward.oconnor.cx/2006/03/json.el