Hi, Nicolas Goaziou writes: > You can walk the tree, e.g. with `org-element-map', and remove > all :parent references if you don't need them. I figured out how to follow this advice. I can even make valid JSON From the filtered parse tree by handing it to Edward O'Conner's json.el (link in example below). However this method only works for a very simple org document. I'm successfully filtering out the :parent properties of (most of) the elements but as soon as my document produces a plain text element like: #("Text" 0 4 (:parent #1)) then two problems occcur: First, I'm simply failing to see how to set this :parent property to nil like I do with the others. Second, json.el throws a "Bad JSON Object" error. I tried assuming that the problem was it doesn't know what to do with this substring form. Naively, I tried to follow some other recent advice in another thread about using substring-no-properties to strip out the meta data from the plain text elements. But this apparently is a net no-op as I suspect that the org-element-set-contents then puts them right back. I feel like I'm pretty close. Any more advice? Thanks, -Brett. #+TITLE: The Title. Blah blah blah. * A heading. This uses http://edward.oconnor.cx/2006/03/json.el - foo - bar - baz #+BEGIN_SRC elisp (require 'json) (let* ((tree (org-element-parse-buffer 'object nil))) (org-element-map tree org-element-all-elements (lambda (x) (if (org-element-property :parent x) (org-element-put-property x :parent nil)) ;; (if (eq (org-element-type x) 'plain-text) ;; (org-element-set-contents x (substring-no-properties ;; (org-element-contents x)))) )) (write-region ;(json-encode tree) (prin1-to-string tree) nil "foo.txt")) #+END_SRC #+RESULTS: