Hi Bastien, Bastien writes: > You may try this (not tested myself): > > (defun bv-daily-log-file () > (save-window-excursion > (find-file (concat "~/org/web/notes/" > (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d") ".org")) > (goto-char (point-max)) > (newline 2))) > > The trick is to use `save-window-excursion'. Thanks for the pointer but it looks like this macro runs afoul of the capture process somehow. I redefined my function as you have above and did C-xC-e to reload it and then initiated a capture from a window showing my GNUS summary. It fails with: byte-code: Capture abort: (buffer-read-only #) I then tried another capture staring from a read-write buffer. The capture succeeds but the captured text is inserted into this starting buffer instead of the one found by the bv-daily-log-file function. The Elisp manual mentions that save-selected-window is sometimes a better alternative but that gives the same behavior. Do you maybe have further ideas I could try? Thanks, -Brett.