* bug ? invoking display-time causes org mode clocking to go bad
@ 2010-09-02 11:03 Antony
From: Antony @ 2010-09-02 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

  What I have seen is not desirable behavior, but I don't know where the
issue is.

Here are the details to reproduce.

Start vanilla  emacs
(removed my .emacs and my .emacs.desktop but not my other stuff like
.emacs-places .emacs.bmk .emacs.d).

Says
This is GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.18.6)

Type
C-x f ~/foo.org
seems to start org mode

type
* foo <enter>

type
C-c C-x C-i
inserts
CLOCK: [2010-09-02 Thu 01:26]
when my windows clock in Win 7 is showing 1:26 AM
They match. My Win 7 is in PST (Pacific) time
So far so good.

Exit emacs

Now do the following

Start vanilla emacs
type
C-x f ~/foo.org

type
* foo <enter>

type
M-x display-time
modeline shows  7:29 AM
when my PC is showing 1:30AM
They don't match.

Type
C-c C-x C-i
inserts
CLOCK: [2010-09-02 Thu 07:30]
Now the clocking in org mode is gone bad.

Basically it looks like usage of the display-time changes something to
affect org clock functionality.
Also, I don't understand where the modeline clock value for display-time
is coming from.
FYI Today is September 2 2010

Org-mode version 6.33x
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-05-08 on
laptop

I've been using org mode for about a month now and really like and use
the clocking feature. Thanks.
The reason I ran into this was I was investigating using
http://funcall.posterous.com/displaying-a-daily-org-mode-agenda-reminder-i

-Antony

* Re: bug ? invoking display-time causes org mode clocking to go bad
@ 2010-09-13 15:26 ` Antony
From: Antony @ 2010-09-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 9/2/2010 4:03 AM, Antony wrote:

> Start vanilla emacs
> type
> C-x f ~/foo.org
>
> type
> * foo <enter>
>
> type
> M-x display-time
> modeline shows 7:29 AM
> when my PC is showing 1:30AM
> They don't match.

no one can reproduce this?

@ 2010-09-13 19:17 ` Antony
From: Antony @ 2010-09-13 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Reposting since I think my original message  did not go through

@ 2010-09-13 19:21   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-13 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Antony <lisp.linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/2/2010 4:03 AM, Antony wrote:
>>
>> Start vanilla emacs
>> type
>> C-x f ~/foo.org
>>
>> type
>> * foo <enter>
>>
>> type
>> M-x display-time
>> modeline shows 7:29 AM
>> when my PC is showing 1:30AM
>> They don't match.
>>
> no one can reproduce this?

This sounds like a general emacs/cygwin question.

What do you get when you evaluate the following--i.e., type C-x C-e
after the closing parenthesis?

(current-time-zone)

Best,
Matt

* Re: bug ? invoking display-time causes org mode clocking to go bad
@ 2010-09-13 19:31     ` Antony
From: Antony @ 2010-09-13 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On 9/13/2010 12:21 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
> Antony<lisp.linux@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> On 9/2/2010 4:03 AM, Antony wrote:
>>> Start vanilla emacs
>>> type
>>> C-x f ~/foo.org
>>>
>>> type
>>> * foo<enter>
>>>
>>> type
>>> M-x display-time
>>> modeline shows 7:29 AM
>>> when my PC is showing 1:30AM
>>> They don't match.
>>>
>> no one can reproduce this?
> This sounds like a general emacs/cygwin question.
>
> What do you get when you evaluate the following--i.e., type C-x C-e
> after the closing parenthesis?
>
> (current-time-zone)
>
> Best,
> Matt

(-25200 "PDT")
but if i run

M-x display-time

then followup with the above

(current-time-zone)

I get
(-3600 "GMT")

After that I restart my emacs to get out of the mess :)

-Antony

* Re: Re: bug ? invoking display-time causes org mode clocking to go bad
@ 2010-09-13 19:46   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-13 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antony; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Antony <lisp.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/2/2010 4:03 AM, Antony wrote:
> >
> > Start vanilla emacs
> > type
> > C-x f ~/foo.org
> >
> > type
> > * foo <enter>
> >
> > type
> > M-x display-time
> > modeline shows 7:29 AM
> > when my PC is showing 1:30AM
> > They don't match.
> >
> no one can reproduce this?
> -Antony

Nope.

Timezone settings perhaps? That might explain the gross hour difference,
but not the minute difference: could there be a slight delay between
your reading the two displays that would account for the latter?

Nick