* bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-09-10 16:33 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-09-10 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In the last 24 hours, org created 436 seemingly empty directories
named similar to "babel-81922AX" in (I think) $TMP.  I do not actively
use babel.

I cannot do debugging but wanted to report it.

Hope it helps.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly serious

* Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-09-11 19:00 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-11 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> In the last 24 hours, org created 436 seemingly empty directories
> named similar to "babel-81922AX" in (I think) $TMP.  I do not actively
> use babel.

I can confirm this behaviour.

Achim.

* Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-09-12 22:12   ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-09-12 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:00:29 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>> In the last 24 hours, org created 436 seemingly empty directories named
>> similar to "babel-81922AX" in (I think) $TMP.  I do not actively use
>> babel.
>
> I can confirm this behaviour.
>
> Achim.

I have some babel-XXXXXX folders, not many, but yesterday I had to close
emacs by individually killing each buffer rather than C-x C-c as emacs
complained about not being able to find one of the folders it expected. I
do not use babel and do not have any settings for it.

Shelagh

* Re: Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-09-13 15:58     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shelagh Manton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've temporarily removed the use of the org-babel-temp-directory due to
this problem, and other issues it is causing on shutdown with older
versions of Emacs.

I will revisit this issue next week when I'm back from vacation and have
time to work out a full solution.

Thanks for the reports -- Eric

Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:00:29 +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>
>> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>>> In the last 24 hours, org created 436 seemingly empty directories named
>>> similar to "babel-81922AX" in (I think) $TMP.  I do not actively use
>>> babel.
>>
>> I can confirm this behaviour.
>>
>> Achim.
>
> I have some babel-XXXXXX folders, not many, but yesterday I had to close
> emacs by individually killing each buffer rather than C-x C-c as emacs
> complained about not being able to find one of the folders it expected. I
> do not use babel and do not have any settings for it.
>
> Shelagh

* Re: Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-09-30 13:57       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-09-30 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shelagh Manton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've re-enabled this functionality, I believe the problems should be
fixed, from the commit message...

,----
| commit a37072786c1da98ccfe6e6b4f481bfc83d61c4d2
| Author: Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
| Date:   Thu Sep 30 07:31:14 2010 -0600
|
|     using `org-babel-temporary-directory' to collect and remove temporary files
|
|     We had stopped using this because users noticed that temporary
|     directories were accumulating in their /tmp directory.  I believe this
|     was due to repeatedly evaluating the ob.el emacs-lisp file, which
|     repeatedly re-defined the `org-babel-temporary-directory' variable
|     creating multiple directories.  This problem should be fixed by
|     wrapping the defvar holding this form in (unless (boundp org...)).
|
|     * lisp/ob.el (boundp): uncommenting defvar form for
|       org-babel-temporary-directory
|       (org-babel-temp-file): now using the org-babel-temporary-directory
|       for holding new babel temporary files
|       (org-babel-remove-temporary-directory): removes the babel temp dir
|       when Emacs shutsdown
|       (kill-emacs-hook): now removing the babel temp dir on Emacs shutdown
`----

Best -- Eric

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've temporarily removed the use of the org-babel-temp-directory due to
> this problem, and other issues it is causing on shutdown with older
> versions of Emacs.
>
> I will revisit this issue next week when I'm back from vacation and have
> time to work out a full solution.
>
> Thanks for the reports -- Eric
>
> Shelagh Manton <shelagh.manton@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I can confirm this behaviour.
>>>
>>> Achim.
>>
>> I have some babel-XXXXXX folders, not many, but yesterday I had to close
>> emacs by individually killing each buffer rather than C-x C-c as emacs
>> complained about not being able to find one of the folders it expected. I
>> do not use babel and do not have any settings for it.
>>
>> Shelagh

* Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-10-01 19:47         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-10-01 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
> I've re-enabled this functionality, I believe the problems should be
> fixed, from the commit message...

Byte compile warns:

In org-babel-temp-file:
ob.el:1792:36:Warning: reference to free variable
    `org-babel-temporary-directory'

In addition, byte-compiling produces 173 empty /tmp/babel-* directories.

The newly installed version does not produce a temporary directory (I'm
not using babel yet), but calling up emacs like make does (extending the
load-path and not sourcing the site-file) will produce one that does not
go away after Emacs is closed on each start of emacs (which explains the
result of byte-compiling).

Achim.

* Re: Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-10-01 20:09           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-10-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>> I've re-enabled this functionality, I believe the problems should be
>> fixed, from the commit message...
>
> Byte compile warns:
>
> In org-babel-temp-file:
> ob.el:1792:36:Warning: reference to free variable
>     `org-babel-temporary-directory'

Fixed the byte-compilation warning, thanks for the catch.

> In addition, byte-compiling produces 173 empty /tmp/babel-*
> directories.
>
> The newly installed version does not produce a temporary directory (I'm
> not using babel yet), but calling up emacs like make does (extending the
> load-path and not sourcing the site-file) will produce one that does not
> go away after Emacs is closed on each start of emacs (which explains the
> result of byte-compiling).

Thanks for the debugging information, it's great to finally have enough
context to address this issue.  I've just pushed up what I hope is a fix
for this.

Thanks -- Eric

> Achim.

* Re: bug: babel-* dirs
@ 2010-10-01 20:24             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-10-01 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
> Fixed the byte-compilation warning, thanks for the catch.
[...]
> Thanks for the debugging information, it's great to finally have enough
> context to address this issue.  I've just pushed up what I hope is a fix
> for this.

Glad to be of service -- I can confirm both fixes, byte-compile now runs
cleanly and without cluttering /tmp.

Regards,
Achim.