* /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-11 16:52 J. David Boyd
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-12-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't remember reading about this here, so hopefully I haven't just missed
it.

I've found some reference to it on the web, but no resolution.

Sometime in the last few releases, clock tables have changed the display.

I now see

| *Total time*                                      | *2:17* |      |      |
|---------------------------------------------------+--------+------+------|
| Tasks                                             | 2:17   |      |      |
| \emsp Infrastructure                              |        | 0:27 |      |
| \emsp\emsp WAITING Email                          |        |      | 0:06 |

How can I remove the \emsp artifact and get back the old behavior?

Advance apologies if this is somewhere in a README that I didn't...

Dave in Hudson, FL

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-11 17:16 ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2014-12-11 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dave,

the customizable org-pretty-entities screws up the alignment in the
table. I don't know where the problem lies, but it's fixed by hitting
C-c C-c in the table for re-aligning stuff.

I don't know why you see the '\emsp' code, as it's supposed to be
translated into a blank on screen.

unset org-pretty-entities to avoid \emsp stuff.

regards,

Joost

--
Snow B.V.

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-12 15:18   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-12-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Joost Helberg <joost@snow.nl> writes:

> Dave,
>
> the customizable org-pretty-entities screws up the alignment in the
> table. I don't know where the problem lies, but it's fixed by hitting
> C-c C-c in the table for re-aligning stuff.
>
> I don't know why you see the '\emsp' code, as it's supposed to be
> translated into a blank on screen.
>
> unset org-pretty-entities to avoid \emsp stuff.
>
> regards,
>
> Joost

Thanks, that works...

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-12 16:46 ` Daniel E. Doherty
       [not found]   ` <87iohgbwz4.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2014-12-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode List

I am seeing the same thing.  When I set org-pretty-entities t, the alignment
gets confused.  I am assuming that the alignment algorithm assumes all
characters are the same width, but the utf8 rendering of an em-space is wider,
hence the problems.

Perhaps a fix would be for the clocktable to use two en-spaces instead of one
em-space to indent lower levels.  It looks to me as though the en-space is as
wide as a single space.

Em-space [ ]
En-space [ ]
   space [ ]

Using regular ASCII spaces at the beginning get deleted during alignment of
the table, but not the en-spaces.

I think this is a bug in the implementation of the clocktables.  Any chance of
getting this fixed?

At Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:52:27 -0500,
dboyd2@mmm.com (J. David Boyd) wrote:

> I don't remember reading about this here, so hopefully I haven't just missed
> it.
>
> I've found some reference to it on the web, but no resolution.
>
> Sometime in the last few releases, clock tables have changed the display.
>
> I now see
>
> | *Total time*                                      | *2:17* |      |      |
> |---------------------------------------------------+--------+------+------|
> | Tasks                                             | 2:17   |      |      |
> | \emsp Infrastructure                              |        | 0:27 |      |
> | \emsp\emsp WAITING Email                          |        |      | 0:06 |
>

> How can I remove the \emsp artifact and get back the old behavior?
>
> Advance apologies if this is somewhere in a README that I didn't...
>
> Dave in Hudson, FL

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
       [not found]   ` <87iohgbwz4.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
@ 2014-12-12 19:11     ` Daniel E. Doherty
From: Daniel E. Doherty @ 2014-12-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode List, J. David Boyd

It looks like an alignment bug to me.  The \emsp is rendered as a double-width
character with org-pretty-entities on, and the table no longer aligns
properly.

At least it doesn't for me.  Try tabbing through the table with
org-pretty-entities on when the \emsp char is used for indenting.

At Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:26:39 +0100,
Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Daniel E. Doherty <ded-law@ddoherty.net> writes:
>
> > I am seeing the same thing.  When I set org-pretty-entities t, the alignment
> > gets confused.  I am assuming that the alignment algorithm assumes all
> > characters are the same width, but the utf8 rendering of an em-space is wider,
> > hence the problems.
> >
> > Perhaps a fix would be for the clocktable to use two en-spaces instead of one
> > em-space to indent lower levels.  It looks to me as though the en-space is as
> > wide as a single space.
> >
> > Em-space [ ]
> > En-space [ ]
> >    space [ ]
> >
> > Using regular ASCII spaces at the beginning get deleted during alignment of
> > the table, but not the en-spaces.
> >
> > I think this is a bug in the implementation of the clocktables.  Any chance of
> > getting this fixed?
>
> What is the bug? The fact that \emsp is used instead \ensp?
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-12 19:59 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-12-12 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dboyd2@mmm.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I don't remember reading about this here, so hopefully I haven't just missed
> it.
>
> I've found some reference to it on the web, but no resolution.
>
> Sometime in the last few releases, clock tables have changed the display.
>
> I now see
>
> | *Total time*                                      | *2:17* |      |      |
> |---------------------------------------------------+--------+------+------|
> | Tasks                                             | 2:17   |      |      |
> | \emsp Infrastructure                              |        | 0:27 |      |
> | \emsp\emsp WAITING Email                          |        |      | 0:06 |
>

> How can I remove the \emsp artifact and get back the old behavior?
>
> Advance apologies if this is somewhere in a README that I didn't...
>
> Dave in Hudson, FL

I just looked through the git logs, and this is what I see:

commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19
Author: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Date:   Fri Jul 25 11:02:55 2014 +0200

    org-clock: Update syntax for indentation in clock tables

    * lisp/org-clock.el (org-clocktable-indent-string): Use "\emsp"
      instead of "\__", which is not supported anymore since Org 8.0.

    Thanks to Buddy Butterfly for reporting it.
    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/88842

Can't believe it was all the way back in July when this changed, guess I
haven't done any clocktables in a while.

So I guess the problem is 'how do I keep the \emsp from displaying on the
screen."

Is there anyway, or do I just live with it...

Dave

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-12 20:48   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-12-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dboyd2@mmm.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I just looked through the git logs, and this is what I see:
>

> commit bacfe5b4f7244eaf151f4e26a1d94dd8f66c1d19
> Author: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> Date:   Fri Jul 25 11:02:55 2014 +0200
>
>     org-clock: Update syntax for indentation in clock tables
>
>     * lisp/org-clock.el (org-clocktable-indent-string): Use "\emsp"
>       instead of "\__", which is not supported anymore since Org 8.0.
>
>     Thanks to Buddy Butterfly for reporting it.
>     http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/88842
>

> Can't believe it was all the way back in July when this changed, guess I
> haven't done any clocktables in a while.
>
> So I guess the problem is 'how do I keep the \emsp from displaying on the
> screen."
>
> Is there anyway, or do I just live with it...
>
> Dave

So, I put the old code back into my org-clock.el, I'm running Org version
"8.3beta", and it now works fine in my clocktables.

Now I get lines like:

| Tasks                                      | 1:18   |      |      |      |
| \__ Infrastructure                         |        | 0:31 |      |      |
| \____ WAITING Email                        |        |      | 0:07 |      |
| \______ WAITING - respond to Bill          |        |      |      | 0:01 |
| \____ WAITING Research - Gnus              |        |      | 0:14 |      |
| \____ WAITING Research - Web               |        |      | 0:04 |      |

which is exactly what I wanted.

I read the linked message above from Buddy Butterfly. Was the problem only for
latext exporting?  I personally look at the screen more than export...

Dave

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-12 23:05     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-12-12 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

dboyd2@mmm.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Now I get lines like:
>
> | Tasks                                      | 1:18   |      |      |      |
> | \__ Infrastructure                         |        | 0:31 |      |      |
> | \____ WAITING Email                        |        |      | 0:07 |      |
> | \______ WAITING - respond to Bill          |        |      |      | 0:01 |
> | \____ WAITING Research - Gnus              |        |      | 0:14 |      |
> | \____ WAITING Research - Web               |        |      | 0:04 |      |
>
> which is exactly what I wanted.
>
> I read the linked message above from Buddy Butterfly. Was the problem only for
> latext exporting?  I personally look at the screen more than export...

The problem is that "\___" appears in any export output, not only LaTeX.

Another option could be to use dots. At least, they wouldn't be as ugly
as "\___" in output, and keep clocktable readable in the buffer.

* Re: /emsp in clock tables
@ 2014-12-13 11:58       ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2014-12-13 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, J. David Boyd

Nicolas et al,

I'm sure the choice for \emsp was a valid one. \emsp is not the bug, it
triggers a bug in the alignment routine which screws up somehow. If
alignment takes place after displaying the blanks, things turn out OK. I
tried to install a custom formatter (Cutomizable: Org Clock Clocktable
Formatter):

 (defun my-formatter( ipos tables params )
   (progn
     (org-clocktable-write-default ipos tables params)
     (forward-line 2)
     (org-table-align)
     )
   )

But this didn't help. Going inside the table and hitting C-c C-c helps,
but is a bit cumbersome.

Somehow moving the aligning to another place in the process should fix
this. I wasn't able to make this work.

regards,

Joost

--