* ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 20:35 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

When pressing C-c C-e, a // export to ascii
I get the following error:

> org-export: Autoloading failed to define function org-export-as-ascii

Any idea how to fix this?

Eraldo

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 21:02 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-24 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:

> When pressing C-c C-e, a // export to ascii
> I get the following error:
>
> > org-export: Autoloading failed to define function org-export-as-ascii
>
> Any idea how to fix this?

Well, you can fix it by loading the org-ascii.el (or org-ascii.elc) file
(at least on recent upstream versions - the export file organization
changed recently and that *may* be what is triggering your problem).
But the question is: why are you getting this error? The file should be
loaded on demand.

Are you using the upstream org-mode or the one that comes with your
emacs? In particular, what version?[1] And how do you load org-mode from
your .emacs (including any settings of load-path)?

Also, can you do C-h f org-export-as-ascii <RET> and include the output
in your reply?

Thanks,
Nick

[1] C-u M-x org-version <RET> will insert the version string into the
    buffer, so you can easily annotate any email you send with the
    version. It is *always* a good idea to include the org-version with
    any questions/problems you send to the list, as well as the
    corresponding emacs version: C-u M-x emacs-version <RET>.

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 21:14   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-24 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 21:16   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-24 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you Nick for helping me troubleshoot!

Are you using the upstream org-mode or the one that comes with your
> emacs? In particular, what version?[1]

Org-mode version 6.26trans

> And how do you load org-mode from
> your .emacs (including any settings of load-path)?

 ; Orgmode
; http://orgmode.org
; using orgmode-dev requires org-install
(setq load-path (cons "~/system/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/system/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org)

> Also, can you do C-h f org-export-as-ascii <RET> and include the output
> in your reply?

org-export-as-ascii is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
`org-exp.el'.

(org-export-as-ascii arg)

Export the outline as a pretty ASCII file.
If there is an active region, export only the region.
The prefix arg specifies how many levels of the outline should become
underlined headlines.  The default is 3.

> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> [1] C-u M-x org-version <RET> will insert the version string into the
>    buffer, so you can easily annotate any email you send with the
>    version. It is *always* a good idea to include the org-version with
>    any questions/problems you send to the list, as well as the
>    corresponding emacs version: C-u M-x emacs-version <RET>.

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.0) of 2009-04-05
on crested, modified by Debian

Eraldo

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 22:28     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-24 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:

> Org-mode version 6.26trans
>

>     Also, can you do C-h f org-export-as-ascii <RET> and include the output
>     in your reply?
>
> org-export-as-ascii is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
> `org-exp.el'.

... and this is a sign that you are picking up old bits from somewhere:
the function should be autoloaded from org-ascii.el.

Did you do a

    make clean
    make all doc

and restart your emacs after your last git pull?

Nick

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-24 22:33       ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-24 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Did all of this... problem persists. :(

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 00:28, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
>

> > Org-mode version 6.26trans
> >

> >     Also, can you do C-h f org-export-as-ascii <RET> and include the
> output
> >     in your reply?
> >
> > org-export-as-ascii is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
> > `org-exp.el'.
> >

> ... and this is a sign that you are picking up old bits from somewhere:
> the function should be autoloaded from org-ascii.el.
>
> Did you do a
>
>    make clean
>    make all doc
>
> and restart your emacs after your last git pull?
>
> Nick

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-27 19:00     ` Manish
       [not found]       ` <fu1leo3eu7s0zvymgaUYAxe124vaj_firegpg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Manish @ 2009-04-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:
  > Thank you Nick for helping me troubleshoot!
  >
  >> Are you using the upstream org-mode or the one that comes with
  >> your emacs? In particular, what version?[1]
  >
  > Org-mode version 6.26trans
  >>
  >> And how do you load org-mode from
  >> your .emacs (including any settings of load-path)?
  >
  > ; Orgmode
  > ; http://orgmode.org
  > ; using orgmode-dev requires org-install
  > (setq load-path (cons "~/system/elisp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
  > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/system/elisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
  > (require 'org-install)
  > (require 'org)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You do not need the last require.

--
Manish

* Re: ascii export error
       [not found]         ` <938fae2d0904271300h79727ca7hb9787590cf7fd5f@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-04-28 12:34           ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-04-28 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't have the experience to debug your problem with that error
message, but I can suggest a new install of org-mode to a new
directory, with an attempt to rigorously root out anything that could
be causing the current problem.

Pay careful attention to the possibility of old parts of org-mode
somewhere in your emacs load-path, and by all means make sure your new
full org is at the very front of your load path.  Follow the install
instructions (again) strictly, and (until you get it working) check
your .emacs for anything that might change the default settings of
org.  Comment out any parts of your .emacs that have any potential for
changing org-related things.

Try the new install with 'emacs -Q' (no config file), invoking org
mode on a buffer with M-x org-mode.  Then export.

I suspect that there is some hidden problem with your configuration.
The good thing about this is that you can probably take the drastic
route of building it up again from the ground.  It's quick, and could
work.

Scot

* Re: ascii export error
       [not found] ` <12529.1240927724@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
@ 2009-04-28 20:32   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-28 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-Mode

> So what's in your site-init file?
>
> Do M-x locate-library <RET> site-start <RET>

Library is file /etc/emacs/site-start.el

> to find the file and take a look at it. You can send it to me and I'll
> take a look, but if you feel like honing your skills, you can try your
> hand at it.  The basic idea is bisection: after copying the file to a
> safe place, you take half the file, throw it away and see if the problem
> persists. If it does you cut the remaining part again in half;
> otherwise, you try the othe half.
>
> Of course, you have to be careful about the cutting: don't cut in the
> middle of the function e.g. And "half" is just a manner of speaking. If
> you can throw large chunks of the file away and still get the problem,
> then whatever remains is the culprit. Even if you don't understand why
> something is broken, then you have made the life of whoever follows up
> on it much simpler.
>
> In your case, you probably want to check any changes to load-path.

the file "/etc/emacs/site-start.el" is empty... there are only comments. oO

the ascii export from org works if starting emacs with "--no-site-file", and
does not if this is missing.

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-28 20:46     ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-28 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-Mode

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-28 21:02       ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org-Mode

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-29  8:36         ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-04-29  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On a debian-based system, and perhaps others, /etc/emacs/site-start.d
has a few files that set variables and define functions for use with
the Debian(Ubuntu, etc) system policies.  There might be nothing in
there that your setup depends on, but I wouldn't want to risk it. you
can glance through the files in there and see what kinds of things
they touch.

However, if you want to try without it, you can rename it.  If that
causes errors, you can rename it, then create an empty directory in
the same place /etc/emacs/site-start.d.

If that's where the problem is, the principal of dissection should
work there as well, just move the files out of the directory one at a
time (tryiing your export with emacs -Q each time, to see where the
offending file is.

Scot

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
> Is it save to just delte that directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
> Because I guess the error lies somewhere in there.
> Or is this directory important for something?
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:46, Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
>>
>> I discovered that there is a directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
>> http://paste.org/6848
>>
>> Does this also get loaded by default and ignored with --no-site-file ? //
>> that would make some sense again (to me)

* Re: ascii export error
@ 2009-04-29 17:29           ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2009-04-29 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Org-Mode