* org-registry.el v0.1 - a registry for Org links
@ 2007-09-23 22:41 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi folks,

I'm releasing org-registry.el v0.1:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/org-registry.el

Here is how the commentary briefly describes it:

,----
| Let's say that you are in the Gnus summary buffer. You suddenly
| realize that you are on an article or an e-mail that is very likely
| to be somewhere in your `org-agenda-files'. Well.. actually you
| *know* it's there but can't find it back. How to deal with that?
|
| This is were org-registry comes in handy.
|
|     M-x org-registry-show will tell you the name of the file
| C-u M-x org-registry-show will directly jump to the file
`----

Enjoy!

--
Bastien

* Re: org-registry.el v0.1 - a registry for Org links
@ 2007-09-24  7:54 ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-24  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> | Let's say that you are in the Gnus summary buffer. You suddenly
> | realize that you are on an article or an e-mail that is very likely
> | to be somewhere in your `org-agenda-files'. Well.. actually you
> | *know* it's there but can't find it back. How to deal with that?

I fail to understand that :D
Can you be a bit more specific ? Maybe give an example of how would this
be usefull.

Thanks,
Cezar

* Re: Re: org-registry.el v0.1 - a registry for Org links
@ 2007-09-24  9:05   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-24  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> | Let's say that you are in the Gnus summary buffer. You suddenly
>> | realize that you are on an article or an e-mail that is very likely
>> | to be somewhere in your `org-agenda-files'. Well.. actually you
>> | *know* it's there but can't find it back. How to deal with that?
>
> I fail to understand that :D

Ahem. Was late at night :) Let me give it another try.

Org files are full of links inserted with `org-store-link'. This links
point to e-mail, webpages, files, dirs, info pages, man pages, etc.
Actually, they come from potentially *everywhere* since Org lets you
define your own storing/following functions.

So, what if you are on a e-mail, webpage or whatever and want to know if
this buffer has already been linked to somewhere in your agenda files?

Then org-registry-show will tell you where this location has been
linked.

Hope this is clearer like this, I have updated the commentary in the
source code.

> Maybe give an example of how would this be useful.

I've no time for this right now but I will in the future. One particular
case where that would be useful is when you want to check whether a link
lives in *several* agenda files and want to see all of them.

@ 2007-09-24  9:27 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-24  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: francois lagarde

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I'm releasing org-registry.el v0.1:

Just to mention that this utility first show its nose 24 weeks ago.
I'm quoting François Lagarde:

See http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/1534/match=registry

--

@ 2007-09-24 11:03     ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-24 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Ahem. Was late at night :) Let me give it another try.
>
> Org files are full of links inserted with `org-store-link'. This links
> point to e-mail, webpages, files, dirs, info pages, man pages, etc.
> Actually, they come from potentially *everywhere* since Org lets you
> define your own storing/following functions.
>
> So, what if you are on a e-mail, webpage or whatever and want to know if
> this buffer has already been linked to somewhere in your agenda files?
>
> Then org-registry-show will tell you where this location has been
> linked.
>
> Hope this is clearer like this, I have updated the commentary in the
> source code.

Great, thanks for the info and for this add-on.

Cheers,

@ 2007-09-29 16:29       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-29 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> I could not find any updating of the links when moving and copying
> files and directories with dired... did I miss it :-)

No you don't :)

The registry by itself is not able to update Org files and tell them
about new locations for files that are linked in them. Just as it is
not currently able to track URL renaming...

> It is probably 'just' a hook for dired, which changes the registry
> entry and corresponding link according to the destination directory!?

That's it. Not a hook though, but an advice to `dired-do-rename'. It
should go through all org-agenda-files and replace the old file names
with the new ones.

Would that suit you?

PS: no time for this right now, I'm moving in London tomorrow morning...

--
Bastien

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: org-registry.el v0.1 - a registry for Org links
@ 2007-09-29 16:32         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-29 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> --
> Bastien

Ahem. Sorry for the double signature. I guess it's part of the moving
out process.

--

@ 2007-09-29 17:48     ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-09-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

nice work, I just tested org-registry. Unfortunately, I
could not find any updating of the links when moving and
copying files and directories with dired... did I miss it :-)
It is probably 'just' a hook for dired, which changes the
registry  entry and corresponding link according to the
destination directory!?

Greetings!
Fabian