From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: William Henney <whenney@gmail.com>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Feature request: navigate history of folding views
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:04:07 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sep 6, 2007, at 17:00, William Henney wrote:

> Perhaps there are other ways to achieve what I want. Here is a common
> scenario where I have felt that a history of folding states would be
> useful:
>
> Say I am working on two or three small parts of a large org file. The
> rest of the file is folded. At some point I need information from
> elsewhere in the file, so I use "C-c /" to look for it. This creates a
> sparse tree that wipes out the particular folding state that I had
> originally created, so I now have to go back and search for the
> contexts that I was working in. Not good!
>
> One way that this could be improved (without implementing a history
> mechanism) would be if sparse trees were always created in indirect
> buffers, so the original view could be recovered.

Well, you can of couse also go into the to create the indirect buffer
yourself, before doing the tree.

>  Would this be an
> easier solution to implement? It seems that "C-c C-j" (org-goto)
> already works in this sort of way (I only discovered org-goto a few
> days ago and I am rapidly falling in love with it).

This is in fact exactly what org-goto was meant for, opening the
otherwise
compact outline in several points, for easy going back and forth.

> Another option would be to expand on the abilities of org-goto. I just
> discovered that "C-s" works in the *org-goto* buffer, which is great.
> If "C-c /" would work there as well, that would just about have me
> covered. Even better with a key binding of just "/"

That is, actually, a very good idea.  Maybe we could also allow
setting the mark and copying the region, so org-goto could be used as
a general quickly-access-some-other-place command.  I'll do that.

Thanks!

- Carsten