* Go to top node
@ 2009-08-07 14:12 Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-08-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

is there a command that brings me from somewhere below a top-node to
the top-node of this (sub-tree)?

Thanks,

Geralt.

* Re: Go to top node
@ 2009-08-07 16:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-08-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geralt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Geralt <usr.gentoo@googlemail.com> wrote:

> is there a command that brings me from somewhere below a top-node to
> the top-node of this (sub-tree)?

C-c C-u is the keybinding for outline-up-heading: this can take a prefix
argument to go up multiple levels. Using the universal prefix argument
(C-u) multiplies the argument by four, so

      C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 4 levels
      C-u C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 16 levels
      etc

I tried the latter from 9 levels down and it brought me up to the top
level. Will this do?

Nick

* Re: Go to top node
@ 2009-08-07 17:04   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-08-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Geralt

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Geralt <usr.gentoo@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> is there a command that brings me from somewhere below a top-node to
>> the top-node of this (sub-tree)?
>>

> C-c C-u is the keybinding for outline-up-heading: this can take a prefix
> argument to go up multiple levels. Using the universal prefix argument
> (C-u) multiplies the argument by four, so
>
>       C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 4 levels
>       C-u C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 16 levels
>       etc
>
> I tried the latter from 9 levels down and it brought me up to the top
> level. Will this do?

Somewhat related and potentially of interest,

I really like the following for outline-node based navigation.  It is
similar to the behavior of paredit-mode in lisp files.

;; org-mode hook
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-n") 'outline-next-visible-heading)
	    (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-p") 'outline-previous-visible-heading)
	    (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-u") 'outline-up-heading)))

-- Eric

> Nick

* Re: Go to top node
@ 2009-08-07 19:09     ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-08-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Eric Schulte<schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
>> Geralt <usr.gentoo@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> is there a command that brings me from somewhere below a top-node to
>>> the top-node of this (sub-tree)?
>>>

>> C-c C-u is the keybinding for outline-up-heading: this can take a prefix
>> argument to go up multiple levels. Using the universal prefix argument
>> (C-u) multiplies the argument by four, so
>>
>>       C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 4 levels
>>       C-u C-u C-c C-u will go up a maximum of 16 levels
>>       etc
>>
>> I tried the latter from 9 levels down and it brought me up to the top
>> level. Will this do?
>>

> Somewhat related and potentially of interest,
>
> I really like the following for outline-node based navigation.  It is
> similar to the behavior of paredit-mode in lisp files.

> ;; org-mode hook
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>          (lambda ()
>            (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-n") 'outline-next-visible-heading)
>            (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-p") 'outline-previous-visible-heading)
>            (local-set-key (kbd "\M-\C-u") 'outline-up-heading)))
>
> -- Eric
>

>> Nick

thanks, that's great :)

Geralt.