From: Geralt <usr.gentoo@googlemail.com>
To: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to track time spent on a project
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:19:49 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Bernt Hansen<bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Just visit the org file with the task you want to clock in and do C-c
> C-x C-i to clock it in.  C-c C-x C-o stops the clock (or when you clock
> in something else it stops).  You can only clock one thing at a time.
> Play with it in a test task to see how it works.
>
> You can clock in from the agenda directly (if it's visible there) with
> just I (and O for clock out)

Hi,

thanks, that's working fine :-)

> I've documented how I use clocking stuff here:
>
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Clocking

I already looked into that, but I couldn't find how to track the time
of entries without a DATE property.

> The agenda is not limited to date ranges.  You can find tasks to clock
> in via the agenda in lots of ways such as:
>
>  - tags searches  (C-c a m)
>  - org-occur searches by regexp (C-c a /)
>  - custom agenda view

I tried that, but when searching for matching tasks I  can't see their
clocked time in this view (when pressing R org tells me that this
operation is not allowed in such a buffer).
What I just tried was to add a DATE property like this:
  :DATE:
  DATE: <2009-07-24 Fri>
  DATE: <2009-07-20 Thu>
  :END:
With this I can see the task in the agenda and see the clocked
time(s), but I have to add an entry every time I'm working on it (and
it's redundant because this information is already in the CLOCK
property).
I haven't used a custom agenda before, is there a way to create one
that shows tasks in a timeline by looking at the dates in the CLOCK
property?

Thanks for your replies, yours too Greg.

Geralt.