Peace all! I'm trying to make text below headlines indented as per the example quoted below. http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html#fnd-1 * Indentation of text below headlines* You may indent text below each headline to make the left boundary line up with the headline, like *** 3rd level more text, now indented A good way to get this indentation is by hand, and Org supports this with paragraph filling, line wrapping, and structure editing1preserving or adapting the indentation as appropriate. A different approach would be to have a way to automatically indent lines according to outline structure by adding overlays or text properties. But I have not yet found a robust and efficient way to do this in large files [1 ] See also the variable org-adapt-indentation. http://osdir.com/ml/emacs-orgmode-gnu/2009-06/msg00132.html If the variable `org-adapt-indentation' is non-nil, the entire text is also indented so that it starts in the same column as the headline \(i.e. after the stars). .emacs config file ;(setf org-adapt-indentation nil) (setf org-adapt-indentation t) I tried setting it up it .emacs like so but it doesn't seem to work no matter which I comment. Am I missing something??